Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Foyer > The Information Station
Facebook

Notices

The Information Station A help forum with answers to frequently asked questions - includes our Forum Rules and updates or announcements from the Admin Team.

Old 06-15-2007, 07:24 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrford View Post
Since we have a thread titled "How To Apologize" it seemed only fitting to offer this counter balance.

Sure, offenses do happen. Even Jesus said they would and we know He is never wrong. A legitimate offense is worthy of a legitimate apology.

But there are those thin skinned individuals who come around looking for reasons to get offended. There are several ways to avoid this. First of all, don't come here! That really is the easiest solution. But if you are addicted and lack that type of self-control then you will need further assistance to avoid being offended.

We will next consider the Word. "Great peace have they which love thy law and NOTHING shall offend them." Basically that is saying that if you get offended you don't love the law of God. Simple enough? I sure hope so.

Next, for those of you who want to wear your feelings on your shirt sleeves, might I suggest wearing two or three shirts anytime you post here? That way you can get offended several times before making an issue of it.

Onward, to those who have deep seated emotional and spiritual issues, this is absolutely the last place you need to be. This is not where you come to relive past abuses, misuses, etc. etc. We are glad you are here. But we are not here to provide counsel for issues that can only be reconciled between you and God. I know we can be more fun to talk to and you will get some answers here that God won't give you, but hey, it really is better to take those issues to Him.

There is an Abuse Thread and a Cry Room available. If necessary we can probably find some directions on how to build a bridge and how to cry a river. Getting over it is up to you though.

That being said, I am glad everyone is here. And I would appreciate no one taking issue with this thread or my tone in stating what I have. I am fragile and get offended very easily and would hate for you to have to apologize to me for your ignorant comments.
I'm never offended by anything. My forehead is so flint-like that not a single one of you can make me feel anything about anything. Not only do I cook and clean like a horse and have babies like a rabbit, but I don't ever get emotional about any of it. Thank God. I am holier than you.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:13 PM
Registered Member

Hey is that a Blue TICK Hound driving???
Old 11-06-2010, 06:30 AM
Not riding the train

Re: How To Not Get Offended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvaro View Post
Bait of Satan by John Bevere is a good book regarding this topic....
Quote:
Originally Posted by OP_Carl View Post
I may be conservative, but I'm not upset.

People need to recognize that self-control is a virtue.

A little earlier, somebody recommended 'The Bait of Satan.'

Recommending that book also requires a warning. It is an excellent treatise on the topic of offences and offence, but it definitely is not for the uncommitted or insincere.

That book ripped me to shreds and turned me inside out. It was good for me though!
Yes, an old thread, but when I saw this book title, I wanted to comment on it. Someone recommended the book to me. I stopped reading it after this paragraph:

Quote:
"Now do you think that when they sold him (Joseph) as a slave, God in heaven looked at the Son and the Holy Spirit and said, "What are We going to do now? Look at what his brothers have done. They have ruined Our plan for Joseph. We had better think of something quick! Do We have an alternate plan?"

The Bait of Satan, John Bevere, pg 26
Now that is a perfect example of Trinitarianism at its finest. If that is the depth of his knowledge of God, I'm not particularly interested in reading anything else he has to say.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:04 AM
Love God, Love Your Neighbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post

Now that is a perfect example of Trinitarianism at its finest. If that is the depth of his knowledge of God, I'm not particularly interested in reading anything else he has to say.
I would say that is trinitarianism at its worst.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:20 AM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AQuietPlace* View Post
I would say that is trinitarianism at its worst.
LOL! I think it is the "finest" example of what I would truly present as a true Trinitarian.

I don't think that everyone who calls themselves a Trinitarian are actually thinking of it in the terms that John Bevere states it.

I like what someone said, "Ask who is sitting on the throne in the Book of Revelation. If they say Jesus, they are not a true Trinitarian." I agree with that.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:23 AM

That view does represent my strongest objection to the trinitarian belief. Because that is what it often leads to.... the belief that there are three separate people up there talking to each other.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:29 AM
Not riding the train

Quote:
That view does represent my strongest objection to the trinitarian belief. Because that is what it often leads to.... the belief that there are three separate people up there talking to each other.
Right. I've seen it argued that Trinitarians think the same way we do, they just explain it different. That is not always true. John Bevere proves that point.

When I was a Catholic I pictured God all stern with a grey beard and Jesus very friendly with the brown hair. I don't think I was aware of the term "Holy Spirit". At least I don't remember it.

So, when I left the church and was alone I remember saying to Jesus (I was scared of God, but not Jesus -lol), "I hope you don't mind me talking to you like a regular person. I just need someone to talk to."

I was afraid that if I didn't say the repetitious prayers, I would be in big trouble, but I threw caution to the wind and talked to him anyway. LOL!
Old 11-06-2010, 08:35 AM

I've heard of other people who view God/Jesus that way. God as the stern one, Jesus as the loving one who can relate to real people.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:02 AM
Administrator

Quote:
I've heard of other people who view God/Jesus that way. God as the stern one, Jesus as the loving one who can relate to real people.
My FIL characterizes the Father/Son relationship like that. He uses the example of God the Father wanting to go *down* and just kill everyone who's disobeying Him and the Son stepping in and cajoling Him and saying, "Now, Father, I died for them, so their sins would be forgiven." (Essentially stopping the Father from doling out lethal judgment.)

"To see no being, not God’s or any, but you also go thither,
To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—
abstracting the feast, yet not abstracting one particle of it;…."

--Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, Song of the Open Road
Old 11-06-2010, 09:37 AM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissBrattified View Post
My FIL characterizes the Father/Son relationship like that. He uses the example of God the Father wanting to go *down* and just kill everyone who's disobeying Him and the Son stepping in and cajoling Him and saying, "Now, Father, I died for them, so their sins would be forgiven." (Essentially stopping the Father from doling out lethal judgment.)

Looking back, I think that is how I perceived it. LOL!

I remember a girl in my 7th grade class telling me that her parents said that we worship idols in the Catholic Church. I asked my uncle about that. He said, "No, they are not idols. They are like a photograph. A reminder to look at." Made sense to me as a child. LOL!