Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Newsroom > Political Talk
Facebook

Notices

Political Talk Political News

Old 02-22-2009, 10:03 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

Jefferson Quotes

These are alleged to be quotes from Thomas Jefferson.
I don't know how many (if any) really were written/spoken by him:

When we get piled upon one another in large cities, as in
Europe, we shall become as corrupt as ..Europe .

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from
those who are willing to work and give to those who would
not.

It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as
it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half
the wars of the world.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can
prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people
under the pretense of taking care of them.

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government
results from too much government.

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect
themselves against tyranny in government.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time
with the blood of patriots and tyrants.

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation
of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and
tyrannical.

I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous
to our liberties than standing armies. If the American
people ever allow private banks to control the issue of
their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the
banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks
will deprive the people of all property until their children
wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers
conquered.'
Old 02-23-2009, 07:31 AM
Still Figuring It Out.

Re: Jefferson Quotes

Excellent quotes... several of which I recognize.

While all of them are excellent and there are some that might be "better" than this one... I had the following thought on this quote.

Quote:
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
The strongest reason for taking, controlling & registering the arms of a free man would be to keep free men from doing exactly what is suggested above.

We are innocent until proven guilty in this country. You take rights from criminals. You leave free men free...

Those days are gone.

To protect against the ideals of Obama will require more activism than this country has ever seen. Which means... we are doomed... Americans don't protect their rights... they take whatever slop they are dealt and shrug their shoulders and say "Oh well".

May those who died for our freedom forgive us.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:09 AM
La vie est un voyage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digging4Truth View Post

While all of them are excellent and there are some that might be "better" than this one... I had the following thought on this quote.

The strongest reason for taking, controlling & registering the arms of a free man would be to keep free men from doing exactly what is suggested above.

We are innocent until proven guilty in this country. You take rights from criminals. You leave free men free...

Those days are gone.

To protect against the ideals of Obama will require more activism than this country has ever seen. Which means... we are doomed... Americans don't protect their rights... they take whatever slop they are dealt and shrug their shoulders and say "Oh well".

Sad but true. God help us.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:26 AM
Mr. Stewart

Quote:

Those days are gone.

D4T, my biggest frustration is that very little of what I have seen from Obama is drastically different than the direction we have been heading anyway. This is what frustrates me as I talk to people who due to partisan loyalty cling to the belief that the GOP is the great, conservative, godly people they claim to be. The runaway train that we find ourselves on seems to have bipartisan engineering and I believe that the true conducters have yet to be revealed.
We take whatever slop we're dealt and shrug our shoulders and say "oh well" regardless of who is in control...they just seem to be taking turns.

Either the United States will destroy ignorance, or ignorance will destroy the United States. – W.E.B. DuBois
My Countdown Counting down to: The Apocolypse
Old 02-23-2009, 08:42 AM
Still Figuring It Out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstew View Post
D4T, my biggest frustration is that very little of what I have seen from Obama is drastically different than the direction we have been heading anyway. This is what frustrates me as I talk to people who due to partisan loyalty cling to the belief that the GOP is the great, conservative, godly people they claim to be. The runaway train that we find ourselves on seems to have bipartisan engineering and I believe that the true conducters have yet to be revealed.
We take whatever slop we're dealt and shrug our shoulders and say "oh well" regardless of who is in control...they just seem to be taking turns.
Yes sir... I agree with your assessment. GWB took this country down roads for which we will probably never recover.

The strong wording of my post revolves around the very subject of the quote. Obama's ideas on gun control are scary indeed and... dare I say it... worse than GWB would have ever dreamed of pushing for.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:56 AM
Mr. Stewart

Quote:
Yes sir... I agree with your assessment. GWB took this country down roads for which we will probably never recover.

The strong wording of my post revolves around the very subject of the quote. Obama's ideas on gun control are scary indeed and... dare I say it... worse than GWB would have ever dreamed of pushing for.
To be honest, I don't know all of his positions on gun control, but his idea that different cities should be able to set their own specifics as far as punishment and ownership makes sense to me. The realities in a city like Miami, Chicago, New Orleans, Memphis, etc, are drastically different than the realities in some parts. I don't believe that it should be impossible for law-abiding people in those cities to get guns, but I would not be opposed to a different set of laws and a dramatically different, tougher line of punishment.
In cities like that, guns are one of the biggest problems in daily life. These are not people who are hunting...and they are certainly not the ones that you want armed in a time of anarchy...in other words they are not the militia that I want and that everyone is so concerned about protecting and arming.

Either the United States will destroy ignorance, or ignorance will destroy the United States. – W.E.B. DuBois
Old 02-23-2009, 08:58 AM
Mr. Stewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstew View Post
I highlighted "drastically" because in my estimation, both parties are taking us down the same general path with each side offering slight variations just to appease their base and keep the system rolling.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:07 AM
Still Figuring It Out.

This is an email I recently received on one gun control measure in the works right now.

Quote:
Very Important for you to be aware of a new bill HR 45 introduced into the House.

This is the Blair Holt Firearm Licensing & Record of Sale Act of 2009.

We just learned yesterday about this on the Peter Boyles radio program.

Even gun shop owners didn't know about this because it is flying under the radar.

To find out about this - go to any government website and type in HR 45 or Google HR 45 Blair Holt Firearm Licensing & Record of Sales Act of 2009. You will get all the information.

Basically this would make it illegal to own a firearm - any rifle with a clip or ANY pistol unless:

• It is registered
  • You are fingerprinted
  • You supply a current Driver's License
  • You supply your Social Security #
  • You will submit to a physical & mental evaluation at any time of their choosing
  • Each update - change or ownership through private or public sale must be reported and costs $25 - Failure to do so you automatically lose the right to own a firearm and are subject up to a year in jail.
  • There is a child provision clause on page 16 section 305 stating a child-access provision. Gun must be locked and inaccessible to any child under 18.
  • They would have the right to come and inspect that you are storing your gun safely away from accessibility to children and fine is punishable for up to 5 yrs. in prison.

If you think this is a joke - go to the website and take your pick of many options to read this. It is long and lengthy. But, more and more people are becoming aware of this. Pass the word along. Any hunters in your family - pass this along.

Peter Boyles is on this and having guests. Listen to him on KHOW 630 a.m. in the morning. He suggests the best way to fight this is to tell all your friends about it and "spring into action". Also he suggests we all join a pro-gun group like the Colorado Rifle Association, hunting associations, gun clubs and especially the NRA.

This is just a "termite" approach to complete confiscation of guns and disarming of our society to the point we have no defense - chip away a little here and there until the goal is accomplished before anyone realizes it.

This is one to act on whether you own a gun or not.

If you take my gun, only the criminal will have one to use against me. HR 45 only makes me/us less safe. After working with convicts for 26 years I know this bill, if passed, would make them happy and in less danger from their victims.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:H.R.45:

http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-h45/show

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-45
Old 02-23-2009, 10:57 AM
Don't ask.

Here's a quote from another great man:

"Duly constituted authorities are only a threat if you're trying to get by with something. Decent citizens should have nothing to fear."
Hebrews 13:23 Know ye that our brother Timothy is set at liberty

More New Stuff in Timmy Talk!
My Countdown Counting down to: Rapture. Again.
Why am I not surprised?
Old 02-23-2009, 11:03 AM
Still Figuring It Out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
Here's a quote from another great man:

"Duly constituted authorities are only a threat if you're trying to get by with something. Decent citizens should have nothing to fear."
That's the point. They are taking authority that was not duly constituted.

The constitution is a lost relic of a time past.

The constitution laid out specific powers for the federal government and reserved ALL other authority to the states.

It appears that nearly this entire nation has forgotten than and our federally overseen public education system isn't going to start teaching it.