Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 09-26-2007, 12:11 PM
Accepts all friends requests

I don't golf but I have witnessed this type of behavior on the sidewalks of several cities. Nude or nearly nude - right out on the sidewalk.

I remember in Philadelphia walking to the GC once and being hassled to play some sort of gambling games up and down the sidewalk. To truly live that "separated" life you have to plan ahead and take so many things into account. And even then you always run some risk of being overtaken by "the world."

I was in an Apostolic service when a group of gays decided to do some sort of "protest" and started making out doing all sorts of lewd things- in the church. I was just a teen at the time. To avoid that should I stay out of Apostolic churches?

I think we need to stand up to those things that are morally wrong, not flee from them.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:17 PM
His Eminance, High Potatohead Potatotate

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelathais View Post
I don't golf but I have witnessed this type of behavior on the sidewalks of several cities. Nude or nearly nude - right out on the sidewalk.

I remember in Philadelphia walking to the GC once and being hassled to play some sort of gambling games up and down the sidewalk. To truly live that "separated" life you have to plan ahead and take so many things into account. And even then you always run some risk of being overtaken by "the world."

I was in an Apostolic service when a group of gays decided to do some sort of "protest" and started making out doing all sorts of lewd things- in the church. I was just a teen at the time. To avoid that should I stay out of Apostolic churches?

I think we need to stand up to those things that are morally wrong, not flee from them.

Did any of these things affect your Christian Walk?
Old 09-26-2007, 12:21 PM
lovemyjesus

Might be wrong on this, so feel free to tell me. I was taught this about holiness: It comes down to your desires. If there is something that you want to do that is wrong, and you don't do it because it's wrong, that's NOT holiness. You still want to do it.

It's a heart issue. Holiness is when God's desires become your desires.

Old 09-26-2007, 12:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelathais View Post

There IS a time for running away, re: Joseph and Timothy. The balance between the two is....stand up (shun evil), but if at some point your own resolve starts to weaken, run, and don't be ashamed of it.

"To see no being, not God’s or any, but you also go thither,
To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—
abstracting the feast, yet not abstracting one particle of it;…."

--Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, Song of the Open Road
Old 09-26-2007, 12:37 PM
Accepts all friends requests

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
Did any of these things affect your Christian Walk?
No, just the way I walk when I'm forced to go downtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissBrattified View Post
There IS a time for running away, re: Joseph and Timothy. The balance between the two is....stand up (shun evil), but if at some point your own resolve starts to weaken, run, and don't be ashamed of it.
I agree. But then again I don't see anything wrong with folks playing a round or two of golf. The fact that the news reported that somebody somewhere went overboard with what was supposed to be a private party and wound up being arrested shouldn't keep good people off the course. Instead we should speak up when things go wrong and make our voices heard.

Don't ban golf just because you heard someone had gambled and was drinking out on the course. In our area it's illegal to serve or drink alcohol outside of specifically licensed venues (and we're considered a "liberal" area). When those rules are being broken, management needs to hear about it. If nothing gets done, then the authorities need to hear about it.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:57 PM
lovemyjesus

Did my post about holiness get lost in cyberspace?
Old 09-26-2007, 01:21 PM
ultra con (at least here)

Does this mean the GC should be avoided because there are those betting on the outcome?:sshhh
Old 09-26-2007, 01:30 PM
Step By Step - Day By Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
Many folks preach seperation from the world but are they truely seperate?

Many have their own version of what "seperate" means?

Many preach seperation from their soapbox but participate in many things that aren't seperate...

for example... NO MOvies but a Broadway Production is okay...

NO Football games but a "Show" in Branson is okay...

No Bowling but fishing & hunting okay...

So many definitions of "seperate" but so many opinions as to what seperate really is...

any body got a take on this??
My take on it is that separation is another one of those "subjective" terms - specifically in regard to Oneness apostolicism and holiness.

How separate do we want to be? How separate can we realistically be?

Is it okay as Holy Ghost filled believers to study in secular colleges and universities?

Is it okay for Holy Ghost believers to shop in malls represented by and filled with all kinds of ungodliness?

Just a couple of off the cuff examples.

(surname courtesy of Jim Yohe)
Old 09-26-2007, 01:33 PM
Resident PeaceMaker

Seperation would be one living their life in seperation unto God.
Being a Holy person does not mean we are to be nuts and flakes.
We can be in the world but not of the world system.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:26 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyjesus View Post
Might be wrong on this, so feel free to tell me. I was taught this about holiness: It comes down to your desires. If there is something that you want to do that is wrong, and you don't do it because it's wrong, that's NOT holiness. You still want to do it.

It's a heart issue. Holiness is when God's desires become your desires.

My Point is.......... who says it's wrong? If it's something that I am personally convicted for or it's taught against in My church. Then I agree, but when Sis. Suzy from the church across town begins looking at the people in my local assembly and starts "sharing" with everyone she meets that we have lost our holiness. Then I have a problem.
IF you trim your hair, if your husband wears shorts, if you take your 6yr old to a G movie, if you part your hair on the wrong side, if you tie a fat knot in your tie vs a thin knot.
I mean really! The list could go on and on.

Jesus Always Wins