Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Newsroom > Political Talk
Facebook

Notices

Political Talk Political News

Old 02-19-2018, 09:21 AM
Banned

Students Plan - March for Our Lives: March 24th

Interesting. Now we have Douglas HS students rising up and demanding that the issue of gun violence be addressed, and targeting politicians who are in alliance with the NRA.

We might see a show down of sorts. American students vs. the NRA. The NRA is going to look pretty bad if they look students in the eyes and argue that the right to own an AR-15 is more important than their lives. The rumor has it, gun control advocates are positioning themselves to push for a ban on political contributions from the NRA. This has the potential to get really ugly.

“This is about us begging for our lives. This isn’t about the GOP, this isn’t about the Democrats. This is about us creating a badge of shame for any politicians who are accepting money from the NRA and using us as collateral.”
Parkland Students Reveal Plan to Destroy Politicians In Bed With the NRA
https://www.rawstory.com/2018/02/beg...cians-bed-nra/
Our nation needs healing.

Last edited by Aquila; 02-19-2018 at 09:29 AM.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:48 AM
Registered Member

Re: Students Plan - March for Our Lives: March 24t

Kids are being used as pawns.

Banning NRA contributions would be illegal unless law is changed.

I'll make a deal - ban NRA contributions only if union contributions also banned.

Unions give many times more to Dems than NRA gives to GOP.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:50 AM
Registered Member

That kid reporter who "wow'd" reporters and politicians with his reporting and interviews after the shooting....his dad works for the FBI.

Pawns.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:59 AM
Registered Member

NRA gave a million in campaign contributions in 2016.

Teachers unions gave $33 million to Dems and the Dem party.

FBI has a $3.5 BILLION budget, but ignores warnings about the shooter and does not investigate.

The NRA is not the problem.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by n david View Post
Kids are being used as pawns.
I don't know. I remember a suicide at our high school and our student body rose up to make a plea regarding mental health. Had something like this happened there, we'd have done something similar. I think it's too easy to dismiss them and say these students are being used as pawns. My 11 year olds would rebuke an idiot that they felt was endangering them. We got all tangled up in a confrontation with a bus driver over it. It had been past practice that my kids sit together on the bus. This was primarily due to my daughter coming of age and boys wanting to touch her and harass her. My son tends to get defensive and ends up getting into fights over it. So, we arranged to just have them sit together on the bus. Transportation had no problem with it. A new bus driver took over the route and one day ordered them to shift forward. My son and my daughter refused, stating that they were under orders to sit together. The bus driver wrote them up and threatened to have them kicked off the bus.

I demanded a session with the school transportation advisor who was originally involved with the original arrangement, a staff member from the board of transportation, the principle, and... that hapless bus driver. It was a blood bath. Because I decided to take the tactic of a "measured" loss of control for the sake of my kid's well being. They didn't know whether to offer me a glass of water or to call the police for their own safety. LOL By the end of it, I got apologies from around the table and... my kids are back to sitting together regardless of circumstance.

I've always been an active parent though. I'm no stranger to the school staff. In fact, when they heard we were meeting, the Principle even said, "Oh boy, you know he's a vet, right?" LOL

My point is, kids can and do stand up when they feel supported and empowered. And, their safety is of major concern to them. They aren't mindless lemmings who don't care if they get gunned down or not. Tell them they have a voice. Give them the support and... they will roar quite well on their own.

Quote:
Banning NRA contributions would be illegal unless law is changed.
True. I think that's the goal.

Quote:
I'll make a deal - ban NRA contributions only if union contributions also banned.
Well, I think that will hold some weight the next time a union stages an armed assault on a high school. Get back with me when that happens.

Quote:
Unions give many times more to Dems than NRA gives to GOP.
I think that depends on the state and district.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
That kid reporter who "wow'd" reporters and politicians with his reporting and interviews after the shooting....his dad works for the FBI.

Pawns.
So, you're saying that if you worked for the FBI, you wouldn't support your son speaking out regarding gun violence... after he was involved in a mass shooting?

Ummm... dude. That's cold.

What if you didn't work for the FBI? Would you support him?

Last edited by Aquila; 02-19-2018 at 10:08 AM.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
NRA gave a million in campaign contributions in 2016.

Teachers unions gave $33 million to Dems and the Dem party.

FBI has a $3.5 BILLION budget, but ignores warnings about the shooter and does not investigate.

The NRA is not the problem.
The way I see it is:
- Unions are a totally separate issue. Unions are more involved with laws relating to contracts, grievances, and negotiations between bargaining units and the government and/or employers.

- The NRA is more like NARAL. They both have an extreme position that is void of common sense or balance. Therefore both are extremists for their causes. And the result of both positions only means more lives lost. I'd be all about banning political contributions from both NARAL and the NRA.

- The FBI. I think there needs to be a full review of the FBI.

Last edited by Aquila; 02-19-2018 at 10:09 AM.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:07 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
I think it's too easy to dismiss them and say these students are being used as pawns.
When they're spouting DNC talking points, yes, they are pawns.

Quote:
Well, I think that will hold some weight the next time a union stages an armed assault on a high school. Get back with me when that happens.
You're missing the point. The media and Dems are lying about how much the NRA influences politics through political contributions. 2016 campaign had NRA giving about a million dollars.

Meanwhile education is incredibly messed up, but nothing said about the multiplied millions more which the teachers union gave to Dem candidates.

Quote:
I think that depends on the state and district.
No, the unions, especially teacher unions are notoriously liberal leaning and give to Dem candidates and the DNC.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:11 AM
Registered Member

Red face Re: Students Plan - March for Our Lives: March 24t

Quote:
So, you're saying that if you worked for the FBI, you wouldn't support your son speaking out regarding gun violence... after he was involved in a mass shooting?

Ummm... dude. That's cold.

What if you didn't work for the FBI? Would you support him?
Not at all, just that it's interesting the kid is front and center when his father is an agent from the local FBI office.

Who didn't investigate the killer.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:14 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
The way I see it is:
- Unions are a totally separate issue. Unions are more involved with laws relating to contracts, grievances, and negotiations between bargaining units and the government and/or employers.

- The NRA is more like NARAL. They both have an extreme position that is void of common sense or balance. Therefore both are extremists for their causes. And the result of both positions only means more lives lost. I'd be all about banning political contributions from both NARAL and the NRA.

- The FBI. I think there needs to be a full review of the FBI.
The unions used to be that, but not any more. They are the biggest fundraising arm of the DNC. And by fundraising, I mean through forced contribution.