Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Newsroom > Political Talk
Facebook

Notices

Political Talk Political News

Old 02-20-2018, 09:07 AM
Registered Member

Re: Students Plan - March for Our Lives: March 24t

As far as I am concerned, all AK47 and AR15 rifles should be banned and illegal to purchase or possess.

The consequences for doing so are unpleasant, but not nearly as bad as multiple mass shootings of students and teachers.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:08 AM
J.esus i.s t.he o.ne God (463)

Quote:
Originally Posted by n david View Post
I have a Ruger LCP 9s. The standard magazine is only 7 rounds. I purchased a couple 9 round magazines which cause it to extend just slightly below the pistol grip -- a violation of the 1994 law.
That's cool, I have a Ruger LC9s Pro which I bought some 10-round magazines for (aftermarket, not original from Ruger). You're right about them sticking out, though. I have to carry with my 7-round mag just because of the size. My new H&K P2000 is a double-stack, so it holds 13 rounds stock.
Sometimes hidden dangers spring on us suddenly. Those are out of our control. But when one can see the danger, and then refuses to arrest , all in the name of "God is in control", they are forfeiting God given, preventive opportunities.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Pitta View Post
As far as I am concerned, all AK47 and AR15 rifles should be banned and illegal to purchase or possess.

The consequences for doing so are unpleasant, but not nearly as bad as multiple mass shootings of students and teachers.
You've yet to make the case for how banning them will cause school shootings to stop.
Sometimes hidden dangers spring on us suddenly. Those are out of our control. But when one can see the danger, and then refuses to arrest , all in the name of "God is in control", they are forfeiting God given, preventive opportunities.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:11 AM
Registered Member

If they are banned and removed from circulation, we can then gather data on which guns are used in mass shootings. If the banned buns are not used, the intent of the law is justified.

It is easier to write a law than it is to bury teachers and students.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:13 AM
Covenant Apostolic

What if we secure school perimeters and have scans and guards like at airports and courthouses, along with making AK47s and AR15s harder to get?
Old 02-20-2018, 09:18 AM
Registered Member

That is what I had when I was in high school. Fencing, guards, dogs, photo ID, etc. Add in some random locker raids.

Worked like a charm.

That was back in 1982.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:20 AM

Quote:
If they are banned and removed from circulation, we can then gather data on which guns are used in mass shootings. If the banned buns are not used, the intent of the law is justified.
So, take away our Constitutional rights and then wait to see if you were justified in doing so? Can you say 'useful idiot'? And how do you propose to remove them from circulation? Even fully automatic weapons still exist and are in circulation.

Quote:
It is easier to write a law than it is to bury teachers and students.
Would you stop with the hyperbole, already? It's getting very tiresome. You act like you're the only one who cares that people died.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanah View Post
What if we secure school perimeters and have scans and guards like at airports and courthouses
Or here's an idea, permit conceal carrying on school grounds. If teachers were permitted to carry, then there's far less chance of incidents like this occurring. The gun-free zones are what's killing our students and teachers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanah View Post
making AK47s and AR15s harder to get?
The guns are not the problem. The guns have never been the problem. The problem is sin, and that surpasses any laws of man.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:25 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jito463 View Post
You've yet to make the case for how banning them will cause school shootings to stop.
It won't. That's why I'm against any ban of the AR-15 or other modern hunting rifles. Banning them won't stop someone from purchasing multiple pistols or multiple magazines and shooting up a place. You don't need a rifle with 30 round magazine to inflict maximum casualties. Especially how this kid used the fire alarms to get everyone out and in a massive group getting out of the building. With practice, a person can use a pistol with a stock magazine and even with reloading, cause a horrific amount of injury and death.

So the end result is always going to be the same - the ban of all guns. That's the end game with the left. Banning the manufacture of new weapons and the forced confiscation of everyone's personal firearms.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:27 AM
Registered Member

The religious rhetoric is not stopping the violent mass murder of citizens. Pray all you want. Pray the murdered students back to life.

If you cannot pray them back to life, if your prayers cannot stop the senseless repeated mass murders, then let others step up and pen legislation that will prevent access to the weapons used by the murderers.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:29 AM
Banned

I'd support a ban on automatic weapons, assault weapons (military style weapons), bump stocks, and any device that turns a weapon into essentially an automatic weapon.

But... I have a caveat. A kind of compromise.

I think any arms ban should expire in 5-10 years, after a national study on its effectiveness.

I'd also support the following:
- Schools, churches, businesses, and agencies able to opt out of being “gun free zones” so that they can allow “staff” with concealed weapons permits to carry.
- Better security and screening to enter schools.
- Escape doors in every classroom. In our security briefings one thing brought up was if an intruder were to go room to room breaching doors, the occupants of every room (or classroom if in a school) are sitting ducks. There should be a way of escape. That way if an intruder does happen to get beyond security and starts to open fire, rooms can lock down and staff and students can begin evacuation.
We armed pilots and enhanced screening at airports… and we’ve not had another hijacking. If we have armed security and enhanced security measures in schools, maybe we’ll not see anything of this magnitude again.

And… if we allow any proposed ban to expire in 5 to 10 years, we’ll have a study on if the ban worked (which if it be proven to have had little effect it can be allowed to expire). We could then celebrate having not only worked together to make the country safer… but we will have expanded gun rights significantly.

Ideally, schools should have proper screening and security. This requires treating the areas of the school wherein students are in attendance as secured areas. The entrance of schools should contain screening measures. There should be separate entrances for students and visitors. Screening measures should include metal detectors and wands. I also wouldn't be against a limited armed security presence. I believe that if possible, there should be emergency escape doors and procedures so that students and staff aren't cornered as sitting ducks in their classrooms. I'd support arming teachers with tasers. I don't agree with arming teachers with guns because I've known teachers I'd never want armed in a classroom with my kids. However, a compromise, to me, would be tasers. I also believe there should be breach doors that seal off different sections of the building in the event of a security breach. All visitors should have a staged screening. They enter, they are screened. Screening should be before a sealed security door. Should someone begin shooting in screening, they still should not be able to proceed into the secured area. But once visitors are screened, they are considered sterile, and can be buzzed into the secured area through an electronically locked breach door.

The only problem is... it sounds like a prison.

But such measures would probably do more to secure the safety of students than banning weapons and doing nothing to secure their safety from handguns, etc..

Another problem with this is that this would cost money most conservatives wouldn't want to lay down. It would take money to construct certain security doors, barriers, and electronic access points. It would also cost money to hire or contract armed security.

If we aren't able to get the guns out of the hands of lunatics... we have to be proactive on the security side. That's if we want to greatly reduce mass school shootings.

Last edited by Aquila; 02-20-2018 at 09:37 AM.