Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 11-26-2017, 04:54 PM
Lamb Saved & Shepherd Led

How Do You Ride a Horse, a Cloud, and a Throne?

Preachers that teach the prophecy view of Dispensationalism believe there will be a future “coming of Jesus Christ.” These preachers describe this time to include protection for God’s people and judgment for those in rebellion against Him. For this event, these preachers say this “return” will literally occur three very different ways. Here are the verses they use for this:
Revelation 19:11 And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
So, Jesus is coming on a white horse. However, they also say this:
Revelation 14:14 And I looked, and behold a white cloud, and upon the cloud one sat like unto the Son of man, having on his head a golden crown, and in his hand a sharp sickle.
So, it’s a white horse and a white cloud? But wait, they also use this verse:
Revelation 20:11 And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.
These same Dispensational preachers say the above verses must be read as literal occurrences. So, they have a physical Jesus simultaneously sitting on an actual horse, cloud, and throne. But can a physical body of Jesus be on all three of those things at the same time? Simple answer—He can’t. But a person who understands how prophetic imagery is used in biblical prophecy, they can explain how these three things are not in conflict, but instead that they emphasize the meaning of each other. In an effort to prove this, look at the following example of how prophetic imagery is used in the Bible:
Acts 1:9-11
9 And when he had spoken these things, while they beheld, he was taken up; and a cloud received him out of their sight.
10 And while they looked stedfastly toward heaven as he went up, behold, two men stood by them in white apparel;
11 Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.
In this passage, Jesus is said to be coming again in “like manner” as the disciples saw Him go. Nowhere do we see a horse or throne here. This absence makes this passage problematic if a horse, a cloud, and a throne is to “literally” be found during a physical coming of Jesus. Since every verse in the Bible agrees together, we need to look deeper to see how these three items agree with each other within the passages where they are found. To do this we must first ask if the issue in Acts 1 is the “cloud” or the “manner” in which Jesus departed? If it is the cloud, then the missing horse and throne are a problem for the Dispensationalist. But if this cloud is a reference to “the manner” in which Jesus is to return, then we can find agreement. I say this because the Bible uses images like clouds, horses, and thrones as prophetic imagery. By using this hermeneutic, much of the meaning of the Bible’s prophetic language can be properly interpreted. Some examples of the Bible’s usage of imagery is Jesus being a lamb and a shepherd, a sacrifice and a priest, a servant and a master, an advocate and a judge, a son and a father. Each of these pairings of images conflict with one another. For instance, how can Jesus be both a lamb and a priest? No one I know teaches that Jesus was a literal wooly lamb or a literal Temple Priest. Instead, they see these as images of something deeper for which He is known. So, why shouldn’t that same hermeneutic be used to explain a horse, a cloud, and a throne being used in verses about His return? With that in mind, look at how these three images all harmonize in what was prophesied to occur during that time.

In prophetic imagery, clouds are associated with God’s power and His glory. See Isaiah 19:1; Jeremiah 4:13-14; Ezekiel 30:3, Ezekiel 30:18-19; Nahum 1:2-6; Joel 2:1-9; Nahum 1:2-6; Zephaniah 1:14-17; Joel 2:1-9

A horse in prophecy represents the unfaithfulness of man, as well as the swiftness and the power of God. See Deuteronomy 20:1-4; Psalms 20:7, Psalms 33:17-19, Psalms 147:10-11; Proverbs 21:31; Zechariah 1:8, Zechariah 6:3-8, Zechariah 9:10, Zechariah 12:3-5, Zechariah 14:20; Hosea 1:7; Revelation 6:2-8; Job 39:19

Verses referring to God’s throne uses that imagery to represent His authority. See Psalms 103:19; Isaiah 66:1; Matthew 5:34-35, Matthew 19:28; Luke 1:32;

To see if I am using these three images correctly, look up the abovementioned verses. Then read each of them using the included meanings within the context where the verses are found. Don’t take my word for it. Study it through. I’ve found the Bible is easily understood if you use the tools found within itself to interpret its meaning. That takes study and commitment, for you cannot know what the Bible says until you fully devour what is found on its pages. This explains why many of the Bible’s truths are called a “mystery.” It is also why Jesus spoke in parables. Neither a mystery or a parable is to remain hidden. Instead, they are purposed by God so that only the sincere will find their meanings. (See Matthew 13:10-13; Luke 8:10; 2 Corinthians 4:3-4; Ephesians 3:4-5)

So, what does it mean that Jesus will return on a white cloud, a white horse, and a white throne? It means He would come in God’s power and in His glory, to bring judgment against unfaithful men with the swiftness and the power of God, while acting in the authority of the Almighty. This interpretation does not involve literal clouds, horses or thrones, instead, it uses the prophetic imagery found in the Bible. Therefore, this interpretation does not conflict—but instead agrees—with the other verses that speak of what was to occur during this coming of the Lord.

This study is found online HERE.

To see more on Jesus coming in a cloud, go to THIS STUDY.
The Bible is open to those that want Truth, and if they want Truth, they find Truth. They watch individuals squabble over Bible symbolism on the Internet, and leave the Message boards to enter into the real world where live people dwell, and they find Truth. The World Wide Web is full of Internet Ayatollahs who speak their mind. There is only one Truth, and it is not hidden. No matter what anyone says, Truth still converts the sincere.
 -DD Benincasa, 12/06/03

www.tkburk.com
Old 11-26-2017, 04:59 PM
Banned

Re: How Do You Ride a Horse, a Cloud, and a Throne

Quote:
These same Dispensational preachers say the above verses must be read as literal occurrences. So, they have a physical Jesus simultaneously sitting on an actual horse, cloud, and throne. But can a physical body of Jesus be on all three of those things at the same time? Simple answer—He can’t.

Only if Jesus is not omnipresent, he cant.

But Jesus IS omnipresent.

Be sure of that.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:03 PM
Banned

If the Bible says Jesus and His saints are coming riding horses in this detailed description....

11 And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

12 His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself.

13 And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God.

14 And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean.

Believe it, because denying it would be terribly, spiritually unhealthy....

19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

Last edited by Sean; 11-26-2017 at 05:05 PM.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:06 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK Burk View Post
Preachers that teach the prophecy view of Dispensationalism believe there will be a future “coming of Jesus Christ.” These preachers describe this time to include protection for God’s people and judgment for those in rebellion against Him. For this event, these preachers say this “return” will literally occur three very different ways. Here are the verses they use for this:
Revelation 19:11 And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Revelation 14:14 And I looked, and behold a white cloud, and upon the cloud one sat like unto the Son of man, having on his head a golden crown, and in his hand a sharp sickle.
Revelation 20:11 And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.
These same Dispensational preachers say the above verses must be read as literal occurrences. So, they have a physical Jesus simultaneously sitting on an actual horse, cloud, and throne. But can a physical body of Jesus be on all three of those things at the same time? Simple answer—He can’t. But a person who understands how prophetic imagery is used in biblical prophecy, they can explain how these three things are not in conflict, but instead that they emphasize the meaning of each other. In an effort to prove this, look at the following example of how prophetic imagery is used in the Bible:
9 And when he had spoken these things, while they beheld, he was taken up; and a cloud received him out of their sight.
10 And while they looked stedfastly toward heaven as he went up, behold, two men stood by them in white apparel;
11 Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.
In this passage, Jesus is said to be coming again in “like manner” as the disciples saw Him go. Nowhere do we see a horse or throne here. This absence makes this passage problematic if a horse, a cloud, and a throne is to “literally” be found during a physical coming of Jesus. Since every verse in the Bible agrees together, we need to look deeper to see how these three items agree with each other within the passages where they are found. To do this we must first ask if the issue in Acts 1 is the “cloud” or the “manner” in which Jesus departed? If it is the cloud, then the missing horse and throne are a problem for the Dispensationalist. But if this cloud is a reference to “the manner” in which Jesus is to return, then we can find agreement. I say this because the Bible uses images like clouds, horses, and thrones as prophetic imagery. By using this hermeneutic, much of the meaning of the Bible’s prophetic language can be properly interpreted. Some examples of the Bible’s usage of imagery is Jesus being a lamb and a shepherd, a sacrifice and a priest, a servant and a master, an advocate and a judge, a son and a father. Each of these pairings of images conflict with one another. For instance, how can Jesus be both a lamb and a priest? No one I know teaches that Jesus was a literal wooly lamb or a literal Temple Priest. Instead, they see these as images of something deeper for which He is known. So, why shouldn’t that same hermeneutic be used to explain a horse, a cloud, and a throne being used in verses about His return? With that in mind, look at how these three images all harmonize in what was prophesied to occur during that time.

In prophetic imagery, clouds are associated with God’s power and His glory. See Isaiah 19:1; Jeremiah 4:13-14; Ezekiel 30:3, Ezekiel 30:18-19; Nahum 1:2-6; Joel 2:1-9; Nahum 1:2-6; Zephaniah 1:14-17; Joel 2:1-9

A horse in prophecy represents the unfaithfulness of man, as well as the swiftness and the power of God. See Deuteronomy 20:1-4; Psalms 20:7, Psalms 33:17-19, Psalms 147:10-11; Proverbs 21:31; Zechariah 1:8, Zechariah 6:3-8, Zechariah 9:10, Zechariah 12:3-5, Zechariah 14:20; Hosea 1:7; Revelation 6:2-8; Job 39:19

Verses referring to God’s throne uses that imagery to represent His authority. See Psalms 103:19; Isaiah 66:1; Matthew 5:34-35, Matthew 19:28; Luke 1:32;

To see if I am using these three images correctly, look up the abovementioned verses. Then read each of them using the included meanings within the context where the verses are found. Don’t take my word for it. Study it through. I’ve found the Bible is easily understood if you use the tools found within itself to interpret its meaning. That takes study and commitment, for you cannot know what the Bible says until you fully devour what is found on its pages. This explains why many of the Bible’s truths are called a “mystery.” It is also why Jesus spoke in parables. Neither a mystery or a parable is to remain hidden. Instead, they are purposed by God so that only the sincere will find their meanings. (See Matthew 13:10-13; Luke 8:10; 2 Corinthians 4:3-4; Ephesians 3:4-5)

So, what does it mean that Jesus will return on a white cloud, a white horse, and a white throne? It means He would come in God’s power and in His glory, to bring judgment against unfaithful men with the swiftness and the power of God, while acting in the authority of the Almighty. This interpretation does not involve literal clouds, horses or thrones, instead, it uses the prophetic imagery found in the Bible. Therefore, this interpretation does not conflict—but instead agrees—with the other verses that speak of what was to occur during this coming of the Lord.

Excellent post. Jesus' physical body is not Omni-present. But you must understand, there is at least one on AFF who takes the imagery of Revelation so literally they think that they will see a Lamb with seven horns and eyes in Heaven "because the Bible says so".
Old 11-26-2017, 05:11 PM
Banned

That is a misrepresentation. There is a minor amount of symbolism used to describe Jesus' attributes.

Fake news just exposed.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
If the Bible says Jesus and His saints are coming riding horses in this detailed description....

11 And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

12 His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself.

13 And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God.

14 And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean.

Believe it, because denying it would be terribly, spiritually unhealthy....

19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.
Interestingly, this is the first time(during 2017) that I have heard Christians teach that their God, Jesus Christ, can only appear visibly in a normal human body, one place at a time.

I will ask my minister friends out and about if they believe that as fact, or if this is a new concept.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:20 PM
Banned

7 Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen.

The underlined will need a TV in every home to accomplish this feat, if Jesus is not omnipresent.(a 6' Jesus directly over my home as I look up would be indistinguishable 2 blocks away...he would have to make countless millions of revolutions around the earth)

Will Jesus need TBN after all?

Last edited by Sean; 11-26-2017 at 05:25 PM.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:26 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK Burk View Post

Fantastic stuff...But the word “above mentioned” in the above link, next to last paragraph, should be two words instead of one...simply unacceptable grammar we can’t have.

Old 11-26-2017, 05:28 PM
Isaiah 56:4-5

Maybe Jesus sits on the throne that is on the horse that is on the cloud?
Old 11-26-2017, 05:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post
Maybe Jesus sits on the throne that is on the horse that is on the cloud?
Omnipresence. You got it.