Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 02-17-2019, 12:59 PM
Registered Member

Re: Hair, sleeves, pantsuits, jewelry, and makeup

Acts 14 and the book of Galatians....
Acts 2:38
Old 02-17-2019, 01:18 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evang.Benincasa View Post
You are wrong again. My tattoos were created with needles in an electric gun. Also some made with a guitar string in a BIC pen body, powered by a Sony Walkman. The needles inject, literally PUSH the pigments under the skin.
Mine was with an old sewing machine needle and piece of string ripped off some jeans and a bottle of Indian Ink. Oh, and a half bottle of peppermint Schnapps, didn't numb the pain when my drunk buddy hit bone a couple times.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 02-17-2019, 01:32 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
Mine was with an old sewing machine needle and piece of string ripped off some jeans and a bottle of Indian Ink. Oh, and a half bottle of peppermint Schnapps, didn't numb the pain when my drunk buddy hit bone a couple times.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:34 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaddaeus417 View Post
Acts 14 and the book of Galatians....
Old 02-18-2019, 08:50 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegsm76 View Post
Yep. Since Aquila has been gone it has been pretty dull.
I guess I need to create another user name as a liberal...
Since I am evidently one of the few that has never had another user name.

What happened to Aquila?

http://www.paganchristianity.org

Go here on tithing----->

http://www.tithing-russkelly.com/

If it is God's will for your illness then why are you seeking medical attention to get rid of it?
Old 02-18-2019, 11:09 AM
Yeshua is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
What happened to Aquila?
He is in a hippie commune, planting organic nuts and fruitcakes.

he is going to have to eat horse meat to survive this winter, but he will make it.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:37 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingZword View Post

he is going to have to eat horse meat to survive this winter, but he will make it.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:13 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingZword View Post

Hey, there are worse things to eat than horse meat...
Old 02-18-2019, 08:53 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"
Old 04-19-2019, 01:17 PM
Registered Member

Had I already seen this, I would been posted my thoughts.

Here they are now:

Hair
The Bible has clear outlines for the expectations of feminine and masculine lengths of hair. Long hair one a woman is said to be her glory (1 Corinthians 11:15), and it said that it is shameful for a woman to have cut ("shorn" or "shaven") hair (1 Corinthians 11:6). Some branches on the Pentecostal faith, Oneness or not, seem to have shifted their view on this. Even the stricter breed seem to only stress emphasis on "long hair" without defining what long is or is not. In only stressing long hair, that leads to measuring and placing limitations on what is and is not long. That opens the door to legalism.

As for the men, our hair is expected to be short. The Word of God reminds us that even nature itself, or worldliness in general, teaches us that it is unseemly for a man to have long hair (1 Corinthians 11:14).

These Biblical principles are given so there would be clear and distinct distinguish of the two genders. The world, and some of the churches that has allowed the world to influence them, has changed their view. That does not make it right, however.

Sleeves
My Pastor has a preference for elbows being covered. For a while, I was not following this standard outside the church walls, but here recently, I have felt the conviction and the need to be in obedience and cover my elbows. It is so much easier to do now that I have stared it. Why did I not do it sooner? Pride, I guess. There cannot be any other reason I do not suppose. Personally, I do not think short sleeves are sinful or even immodest, but it certainly can be an issue of separation as well as personal or pastoral conviction and standard. My Father and Brother still wear short sleeves. I think nothing of it. They still have a walk with Jesus, and if He wants them to cover their arms up, He will tell them, and knowing them, they will listen to His request.

I know there are some people that use the verse referring to that, after the fall of man, God made coats of skin for Adam and Eve (Genesis 3:21), and since no coat is ever short-sleeved, then our arms should be covered more than not. This verse, as any of them, has opened avenues for discussions, debates, and doctrinal differences on the viewpoint of just how much of our arms should be covered by our shirts.

Pantsuits
When I saw "pantsuits", I immediately thought of someone trying to justify women wearing pants. Now, I am positive that the thread-starter was also referring to the pantsuits worn by pastors and preachers, but that was not my initial response.

The Bible makes it clear that there is to be a distinctive difference in the attire for males and females. Perhaps the most common verse used that concerns a variation in the dress of men and women tells us that it is an abomination to the Lord for ladies to wear what pertaineth unto a man, and the same going for men wearing ladies garments (Deuteronomy 22:5). Churches years ago, and the world to for that matter, understood what men were to wear and the ladies, too. That is not the case any longer.

Many will argue that since, in Biblical times, both men and women wore robes (or cloaks) that it is all right for women and men to both wear pants today. If their research was done properly, they would also find that the Bible speaks of men wearing "breeches" (or pants) underneath their cloaks to distinguish their attire from the ladies.

There is significant justification for women today wearing pants. I have heard all sorts of arguments in the defense of it that it is unreal: social expectations have changed, cultural trends have shifted, the mercy of the Lord grants liberty, etc. The most widely used one, I believe, is the belief that what was referenced in Deuteronomy 22:5 was under the Law of Moses, and therefore is no longer a commandment to be followed. If that were true, though, is it alright for us guys to wear dresses and skirts? Of course not.

In short, ladies stay out of the pants. And men do not be trying and summer dresses this year. Jesus does not like it, so just do not do it.

Jewelry
Preaching, preferences, and standards against jewelry has Biblical principles as well. Scripturally, women are told to adorn themselves modestly and without any decorated hair, gold, pearls, or any costly array (1 Timothy 2:9). Many have asked the question why men are not also mentioned in this scripture, but I think that lies in the simple fact that most men, especially if they are straight, are not going to adorn themselves with pearls and gold any way. But even if they men were not mentioned in black and white, I do personally believe that not adorning oneself with costly array goes for the ladies as well as the gentlemen. We cannot look worldly and decked out with our gold chains, rings, and stuff, either.

In a personal opinion, the adorning of oneself with jewelry (male or female) looks worldly. We are not to look as this world does, we are to look different.

Makeup
Another issue that causes doctrinal debates and occasional arguments, but which also has Bible to back the preaching against it. The Bible tells us that women that are spoiled will adorn themselves immodestly, with gold and painted faces (Jeremiah 4:30-31). With worldly material, these women have attempted to beautify themselves, but Jesus only sees vanity when He looks at it. Jesus admires a woman that feareth the Lord, but finds beauty in worldliness vain (Proverbs 31:30). Many preach and personally believe that the majority of women that maintain a makeup-styled appearance possess the spirit of Jezebel, or something similar at least.

Now, if men are wearing makeup, that is a subject for a different post, but to sum it: It is wrong, so do not do it.

Those are my thoughts, anyhow. (on all of it)
I believe in the baptism of the Holy Ghost, evidenced by speaking in tongues as the Spirit gives utterance.
I believe in living a holiness lifestyle, inwardly and outwardly, without which no man shall see the Lord.