Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The D.A.'s Office
Facebook

Notices

The D.A.'s Office The views expressed in this forum are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of AFF or the Admin of AFF.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:31 AM
Formerly known as CareyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consapostolic1 View Post
As an apostolic youth I pray that this stuff never enters into our ring of fellowship. Dancing in the Spirit of God and praising Him whole heartedly is good enough for me.
Amen!!!!

I don't care for the choreographed stuff we are getting into...I don't think it's wrong or sinful, I just don't care for it.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:33 AM
My Family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consapostolic1 View Post
How is this an affective ministry? I've seen black fraternities and soroties do this never thought It would be happening in the upc realms. My Lord help us
Yea for real, let's hope the angels never get in line and move in unison when we get to heaven!
Old 08-15-2007, 07:35 AM
Bro. Y, I'll never forget...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeatlast View Post
We had one from a PAW church that came to one of our Saturday youth programs a couple years ago. They were not that good.

BUT choreegraphed dance steps is closer to dancing before the Lord than what we call shockamooo is.

The ancient hebrews danced (to the music) in their times of assebly and worship, in a way many of us would condemn.
Please provide scripture that speaks of Hebrews using choreographed dance to worship their God....

"You don't need a license to preach, or teach, or win souls." RonB

"In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength." Robert E. Lee (1807-1870)

Never tell a young person that anything cannot be done. God may have been waiting centuries for someone ignorant enough of the impossible to do that very thing. ~ John Andrew Holmes
Old 08-15-2007, 07:39 AM
Administrator

I am trying to remember if I saw this at this years AMC conference in Nashville or was it at the AMF conference I attended several years ago.....hmmmm......

LOL!!!
Old 08-15-2007, 07:41 AM
Pride of the Neighborhood

You know dancing in the Spirit means screaming at the top of your lungs, cunvulsing, shaking like you're having a seizure, flailing your arms and elbows, busting somebodies eye open, sending some folks to the hospital, stutter stepping like your body is on fire, jerking your head so that your hair turns into a ratty mess, and then "coming to" a few minutes later wondering what happened to you and wondering how you got to the other side of the sanctuary.

Certainly any conscious decision to worship God with your arms, legs, feet, and hands woud be "in the flesh" and carnal and not true worship. Of course we sing unconsciously, clap unconsciously, kneel unconsciously, pray unconsciously, raise our hands unconsciously, etc.

If the moves aren't sensual and provocative, what's the problem?

‎When a newspaper posed the question, "What's Wrong with the World?" G. K. Chesterton reputedly wrote a brief letter in response: "Dear Sirs: I am. Sincerely Yours, G. K. Chesterton." That is the attitude of someone who has grasped the message of Jesus.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:04 AM

I've never seen a person dance in the Spirit ... unless they are Casper the Friendly Ghost.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:05 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacon blues View Post
You know dancing in the Spirit means screaming at the top of your lungs, cunvulsing, shaking like you're having a seizure, flailing your arms and elbows, busting somebodies eye open, sending some folks to the hospital, stutter stepping like your body is on fire, jerking your head so that your hair turns into a ratty mess, and then "coming to" a few minutes later wondering what happened to you and wondering how you got to the other side of the sanctuary.

Certainly any conscious decision to worship God with your arms, legs, feet, and hands woud be "in the flesh" and carnal and not true worship. Of course we sing unconsciously, clap unconsciously, kneel unconsciously, pray unconsciously, raise our hands unconsciously, etc.

If the moves aren't sensual and provocative, what's the problem?
Now, now. You know you are messing with sacred cows here (no matter how extra biblical they are).

It is funny how adamant OTP's are about this subject yet they have zero biblical basis for traditional Pentecostal "shouting" or "dancing in the spirit". It is totally a tradition within the movement with no New Testament premise or example.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:12 AM
My Family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
Now, now. You know you are messing with sacred cows here (no matter how extra biblical they are).

It is funny how adamant OTP's are about this subject yet they have zero biblical basis for traditional Pentecostal "shouting" or "dancing in the spirit". It is totally a tradition within the movement with no New Testament premise or example.
Well, we do know that it was a measure of spirituality when we attended JCM.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:43 AM
It's not easy being me.

What's the difference between coreographed dancing and signing that's so popular already?

You might say signing actually means something, that's true, it is a language that has a meaning....but only to people that know that language, and the majority of the time, it's performed before an audience in which nobody does know sign language.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:25 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseeads View Post
What's the difference between coreographed dancing and signing that's so popular already?

You might say signing actually means something, that's true, it is a language that has a meaning....but only to people that know that language, and the majority of the time, it's performed before an audience in which nobody does know sign language.
You can get away with er...ah..."enthusiastic" signing in a lot of UPC churche where you can't with choreographed dancing.

Those two teenage boys I saw recently from the Tupelo Children's Mansion "signing" were really getting down! You could tell they have great rhythm and if they could have moved their legs would it would have been some incredible choreographed dancing rather than great choreographed signing.