Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall > The Tab
Facebook

Notices

The Tab Cutting edge news of what is happening in Apostolic Oneness Pentecost today!

Old 10-18-2007, 08:36 PM
Invisible Thad

LEE GRADY uncovers More Dirt on Bishop Earl Paulk!

It’s Time to Blow the Whistle on Corruption

We’ve created a toxic religious culture that requires people to be quiet when they should be confronting sin and challenging injustice.

When I started my job at Charisma in 1992, one of my first assignments was to sort through dozens of files of disturbing allegations made against one of the largest charismatic churches in the country. A group of women had contacted our magazine with shocking claims that Bishop Earl Paulk Jr. and other staff pastors at the 15,000-member Cathedral of the Holy Spirit in Atlanta had sexually abused them. These frustrated women came to the Christian media because no pastors in our movement would listen to their horror stories.

Despite the fact that several women had the same experience with Paulk or other men on his staff, he insisted he was innocent and even brought legal action against a group of the women after they staged a press conference to make their grievances public. He also put a guilt trip on his followers, warning them that anyone who accused him of wrongdoing was “touching the Lord’s anointed.”

When I asked some national ministry leaders about Paulk’s questionable behavior, I was told it was not appropriate for me to listen to scandalous allegations against a man of Paulk’s spiritual stature. One leader even accused me of having “a spirit of journalism.”

Fifteen years later, it’s obvious that most of the leaders who knew Paulk had their heads in the sand. They thought it was more spiritual to ignore the whistle blowers. After all, they said, these women were probably all “Jezebels” who were being used by the devil to destroy a powerful ministry.

Today, people are finally admitting that Paulk was a wolf dressed in sheep’s clothing. He was the liar and we were the naive dupes who fell for his act.

This became obvious last year when former Cathedral staff member Mona Brewer filed a lawsuit claiming that Paulk coerced her into a sexual relationship that lasted for years. Her suit forced Paulk, other staff members and numerous Paulk relatives to give depositions in court—and the ugly truth began to unfold. The church quickly shrank to a few hundred people, and today the congregation can’t afford to maintain their 7,000-seat gothic building.

The most revolting side of the Paulk scandal hit the fan last Sunday. The Cathedral’s current senior pastor, Donnie Earl Paulk—who has been known his entire life as Earl Paulk’s nephew—admitted to his congregation that he is actually Earl Paulk’s son. A DNA test required by the court has proved that Donnie Earl is not the son of Earl’s brother, Don. He is actually the product of a relationship between his mother, worship pastor Clariece Paulk, and his “Uncle Earl.”

I know it’s beyond outrageous. But as repulsive as the Paulk scandal is to us, we should try to imagine how grieved God is that such blatant immorality was allowed to thrive unchallenged for so long in a church that dared to call itself “Spirit-filled.” Why have some staff members remained at the Cathedral to this day when they know the truth? Why didn’t national charismatic leaders listen to the countless people who left the Cathedral years ago when they learned about the wife-swapping and debauchery? We should be ashamed that our spiritual fathers ignored the whistle-blowers, withheld biblical discipline and allowed Paulk to ruin the lives of countless people.

When the apostle Paul learned that incest was occurring among Corinthian believers (“immorality of such a kind that does not exist even among the Gentiles,” he said), he rebuked the church for refusing to bring correction and gave them a clear directive: “Remove the wicked man from among yourselves” (1 Cor. 5:1-2,13, NASB).

Paulk and his cohorts at the Cathedral of the Holy Spirit created a bizarre environment full of mind control and emotional manipulation. We charismatics, who claim to have the gift of discernment, should have smelled this cultic deception a mile away. But instead, even though the list of allegations grew year by year, leaders in our movement continued to allow Paulk to air his broadcasts on national television.

We are now reaping the consequences of this sloppy grace and misdirected mercy. Throughout our movement today, ministries and marriages are imploding because we built our spiritual houses on the shifting sands of “anointing” rather than on the solid rock of character and integrity. The embarrassing scandals of 2007—from the high-profile divorces to the parking lot wife-beatings to the Oral Roberts University fiasco—should prompt us to cry out to God for a biblical reformation that will restore genuine holiness in a wayward church.

J. Lee Grady is editor of Charisma.
Old 10-20-2007, 04:25 PM
Registered Member

Is Grady implying incest? Brother and sister parenting Donnie?

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."
Old 10-20-2007, 04:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfblume View Post
Is Grady implying incest? Brother and sister parenting Donnie?
No. Earl was the father rather than Earl's brother. The woman was married to Earl's brother.

It was Earl having an affair with his brothers wife.
Old 10-20-2007, 04:40 PM
Christmas 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
No. Earl was the father rather than Earl's brother. The woman was married to Earl's brother.

It was Earl having an affair with his brothers wife.
Well, nothing surprises me anymore coming from that bunch. How sad!
Old 10-20-2007, 04:47 PM
Registered Member

I'm wondering how the boy learned this and how long he has known who his daddy is?!
Old 10-20-2007, 05:57 PM
Invisible Thad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri View Post
Well, nothing surprises me anymore coming from that bunch. How sad!

why is it not a surprise- Paulk was a regular on TBN for many years was he not ?
Old 10-20-2007, 06:00 PM
Invisible Thad

Seems i heard Donnie Earl was the next in line to take the church over?

He is Very Liberal sort of on the line of Jim Baker's son- I can't remember his name right now - does anyone ???
Old 10-20-2007, 06:17 PM
Administrator

The saddest part of this whole mess is the people who came to Christ through this ministry and now are disillusioned because of the gross moral failure of a man they looked up to as a Spiritual leader.
Old 10-20-2007, 06:21 PM
Invisible Thad

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
The saddest part of this whole mess is the people who came to Christ through this ministry and now are disillusioned because of the gross moral failure of a man they looked up to as a Spiritual leader.

I talked to someone from Atlanta and asked her about the church this church. she told me that at the height of their peek, they ran 7000.
now they are lucky if they have 150-200.

I also asked how they were able to continue in that huge building. There must be tremendous overhead and bills. they told me that the Paulks have a lot of property that they are having to sell off to keep afloat.

seems they'd be better off selling the church and getting out of it altogether- why do people like this milk it till there is nothing ?
Old 10-20-2007, 06:26 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad View Post
I talked to someone from Atlanta and asked her about the church this church. she told me that at the height of their peek, they ran 7000.
now they are lucky if they have 150-200.

I also asked how they were able to continue in that huge building. There must be tremendous overhead and bills. they told me that the Paulks have a lot of property that they are having to sell off to keep afloat.

seems they'd be better off selling the church and getting out of it altogether- why do people like this milk it till there is nothing ?
I agree. You would think they would try to sell the church and buy a smaller one since ministries this big that have gross failure always still seem to hang on to a few hundred die hards that will follow them anywhere including over a cliff.