Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 08-31-2014, 10:32 AM
Isaiah 56:4-5

Homosexuality question

Most of us would agree that homosexuality is a sin. Other than "the bible says so." Why is it a
Sin?

I have been talking to a kid for a few days. He is gay and has been looking for a church. Today he asked why it's wrong for him to be gay. Why is it wrong for him to love a man.

Other than "the bible says so" I didn't have an answer, so I haven't replied.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:34 AM
Registered Member

Re: Homosexuality question

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post
Most of us would agree that homosexuality is a sin. Other than "the bible says so." Why is it a
Sin?

I have been talking to a kid for a few days. He is gay and has been looking for a church. Today he asked why it's wrong for him to be gay. Why is it wrong for him to love a man.

Romans 1 implies that it is a violation of the image of God, and that is a serious deal. It is something to which a person is given over for putting the image of God down to that of animals and creeping things. Hence, it is associated with marring the very image of God that man is.

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."
Old 08-31-2014, 10:42 AM

I don't know how to explain that to a 23 year old that doesn't have much of a Christian foundation.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:21 PM
Mama to four little angels.

Quote:
Sin?

I think context matters a lot. Why is he asking, in what context? Does he feel like God can't/won't/doesn't love him because he's gay? Is he asking because he feels like he has to change before he could be a Christian, or because he feels like he can't be a Christian because he's gay?

Or does he just want to know why homosexuality in general is wrong? The way you worded it, it sounds like he's asking from a very personal position.

I'd word the answer differently depending on which way he's asking the question. Why is homosexuality wrong? Because it's counter to the best that God has for His people.

If he's asking personally, finding the real question matters more than answering the spoken question. If he's asking because he isn't sure if God can love him the way he is, the answer focuses on how we're all sinners, we're all so far from what God has in store for us, for what He has planned for us, from the perfection that He is and yet He still loves us and pursues us and desires for us to know Him regardless of what kind of mess we are when we first take note of Him. The answer needs to focus on how God does have amazing plans for us, that He sees the future, that He knows the potential of what/who we can be. As we get to know Him, He changes us from the inside out. He transforms our thinking, our behavior, our thoughts. The more we know Him, the more we become like Him. From the moment we surrender to Him, we are to love God with the totality of everything that we are....and God can change *all* things to conform to His best for our lives. And most of all, even if He doesn't.....He is great and glorious and worthy of all of our praise. He sees a picture bigger than we can ever imagine and somehow the pieces we would rather see changed fit into it in such a way that they bring magnificent glory to God. His grace is sufficient even in places where we struggle.

God did it for us. Out of sheer generosity he put us in right standing with himself. A pure gift. He got us out of the mess we're in and restored us to where he always wanted us to be. And he did it by means of Jesus Christ. ~Romans 3:24 from The Message
Old 08-31-2014, 12:30 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Sin?

Scripture employs the motif of marriage, which it defines as being between one man and one woman (Gen 2:24), as the most intimate example or likeness of the relationship Christ has with his Church (Eph 5:23-27). And it is only within the context of lifelong monogamous, heterosexual marriage that Scripture sanctions sexual intimacy, precisely because of what marriage represents: Christ's union with his Bride.

Any other sexual relations- even between heterosexuals- which falls outside this context is not reflective of that relationship, and is therefore, not considered holy (Heb 13:4).

Ultimately, this still comes down to "because the Bible says so", but Scripture's reasoning is more than simply an arbitrary command by God.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:34 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Sin?

It goes against God's order of creation. God created man and women to be together. Men with men is a pervertion of Creation

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:49 PM

He's been looking for a church. He's been praying. He knows that it is wrong. He wants to know why? He has always been gay. Everyone in his life knows he's gay. He wants to know why he can't remain gay and serve God, why he can't praise The Lord and be gay? He asked why he can't love a man.

He hasn't disagreed that it's wrong. He wants to know why it's wrong.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:00 PM
Registered Member

YOu don't need any other reason than the bible says so.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:01 PM
Mama to four little angels.

Quote:
He's been looking for a church. He's been praying. He knows that it is wrong. He wants to know why? He has always been gay. Everyone in his life knows he's gay. He wants to know why he can't remain gay and serve God, why he can't praise The Lord and be gay? He asked why he can't love a man.

He hasn't disagreed that it's wrong. He wants to know why it's wrong.
Well, why can't he remain gay and serve God? Why can't he praise the Lord and be gay? Do you mean lifestyle or condition of being? Lifestyle or "why can't he love a man"? Because God says it's not ok. Condition of being? God can change that, but that doesn't mean He will....and I don't believe a person is precluded from serving God just because of a condition of being. If you go to bed at night asking God to take it away...and wake up with nothing changed, you can still praise God because God's worth hasn't decreased because of your present condition. If he can't praise God because he's gay, then no one can praise God and that's not the message in the Bible.

Quote:
From the moment we surrender to Him, we are to love God with the totality of everything that we are....and God can change *all* things to conform to His best for our lives. And most of all, even if He doesn't.....He is great and glorious and worthy of all of our praise. He sees a picture bigger than we can ever imagine and somehow the pieces we would rather see changed fit into it in such a way that they bring magnificent glory to God. His grace is sufficient even in places where we struggle.

God did it for us. Out of sheer generosity he put us in right standing with himself. A pure gift. He got us out of the mess we're in and restored us to where he always wanted us to be. And he did it by means of Jesus Christ. ~Romans 3:24 from The Message
Old 08-31-2014, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR Pastor View Post
YOu don't need any other reason than the bible says so.
please dismiss yourself. Thanks