Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The D.A.'s Office
Facebook

Notices

The D.A.'s Office The views expressed in this forum are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of AFF or the Admin of AFF.

Old 12-07-2008, 04:03 PM
the ultracon

Re: Pitfalls in Solely Relying on Acts for doctrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hoover View Post
I won't be so quick to credit these responses as anything other than a lack of commitment to deal with the "BOOKS" Dan has just written.

TR and SE have both shown they can grapple with these arguments in the past.
Big difference in grappling and proving something wrong.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:00 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeatlast View Post
I have noticed this so often in conversations with 3 step pentecostals.

After finding their doctrine crumbles as a house of cards, they "grow tired" of the conversation and become "weary" in their defense.

Next will be the cry to ban Dan.
OK, I am a one-stepper, but I don't think that is an accurate statement.

I think both one-steppers and three-steppers get tired of these conversations after a while and just stop posting.

How often can we just keep saying the same things over and over?

Just realize that there are both one-steppers and three-steppers in the Church, or in the Body of Christ, or in the people known as Apostolic, or whatever we want to call ourselves. And both one-steppers and three-steppers need to follow the three "R"s:
Recognize one another,
Respect one another,
Realize we're all in this family together as brothers and sisters
Old 12-07-2008, 05:10 PM
Forever Loved Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeatlast View Post
Big difference in grappling and proving something wrong.
Yep, and that goes both ways. Sheesh.
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV
Old 12-07-2008, 05:10 PM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

Good words, Sam.

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Old 12-07-2008, 05:11 PM
Forever Loved Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post

I think both one-steppers and three-steppers get tired of these conversations after a while and just stop posting.

Just realize that there are both one-steppers and three-steppers in the Church, or in the Body of Christ, or in the people known as Apostolic, or whatever we want to call ourselves. And both one-steppers and three-steppers need to follow the three "R"s:
Recognize one another,
Respect one another,
I agree.
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV
Old 12-07-2008, 05:56 PM
the ultracon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post

Recognize one another,
Respect one another,
Well Sam...thats why I respect you so much. You made stop and think about my words.

I was a bit sharp in my comment. Both positions of the debate of course feel they are the ones that are right.

It does get old debating what we've debated so long, so many times before.

My apologies.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:04 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
I hear what you are saying but I question whether the distictions are that clear. Paul seems to be saying tongues themselves (if they are not understood or interpreted) are not for the public assembly.

Ecstatic utterances of "other tongues", if heard by the assembly (including unbelievers) are in essence the very same as what you are calling "Prophetic tongues". One might argue the difference is a question of addressing the assembly or not. Were this the case, it would become a matter of volume and perhaps discernment on the part of church leadership. Neither of which changes how an unbeliever would perceive the event.
Stephen,
Are you saying that at no time would a saint, in a church setting, ever utter anything in tongues unless they felt it would be tongues and interpretation or prophesy?
Old 12-07-2008, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
Stephen,
Are you saying that at no time would a saint, in a church setting, ever utter anything in tongues unless they felt it would be tongues and interpretation or prophesy?
I believe that is the only way one can read 1 Cor. 14

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Old 12-07-2008, 06:31 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
I believe that is the only way one can read 1 Cor. 14
Not really, IMO. If the text is discussing the operation of the gifts, Paul is speaking to them of using that gift with order.

I believe it is like a person that continues to speak in tongues when it's not appropriate to do so or they get carried away and elevate the volume when the congregation is not going that way. We've dealt with people who needed teaching on this very thing.

In verse 6 Paul is saying, "Now, brethren, if I come unto speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you, except I shall speak to you either by revelation or by knowledge, or by prophesying, or by doctrine?"

I believe he is wanting them, by the text together, to mature above where they are - rambling on and not knowing how to "manage", if you will, the Spirit of God.

Saying that we cannot utter tongues outside of tongues and interpretation contradicts someone receiving the Holy Ghost at the initial infilling. You are speaking in tongues at that point.

The men on the day of Pentecost were accused of being drunk. They were speaking in tongues for all to hear. How long did they do that? Long enough to draw a crowd. IMO, if that was what God was speaking of in I Cor 14, he wouldn't have allowed that display in Acts 2. JMO.

I believe I Cor 14 is a discourse on decency and order.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
Not really, IMO. If the text is discussing the operation of the gifts, Paul is speaking to them of using that gift with order.

I believe it is like a person that continues to speak in tongues when it's not appropriate to do so or they get carried away and elevate the volume when the congregation is not going that way. We've dealt with people who needed teaching on this very thing.

In verse 6 Paul is saying, "Now, brethren, if I come unto speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you, except I shall speak to you either by revelation or by knowledge, or by prophesying, or by doctrine?"

I believe he is wanting them, by the text together, to mature above where they are - rambling on and not knowing how to "manage", if you will, the Spirit of God.

Saying that we cannot utter tongues outside of tongues and interpretation contradicts someone receiving the Holy Ghost at the initial infilling. You are speaking in tongues at that point.

The men on the day of Pentecost were accused of being drunk. They were speaking in tongues for all to hear. How long did they do that? Long enough to draw a crowd. IMO, if that was what God was speaking of in I Cor 14, he wouldn't have allowed that display in Acts 2. JMO.

I believe I Cor 14 is a discourse on decency and order.
Here is the bottom line

27If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.

28But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.

I would concede Verse 28 may indicate "speaking in tongues" silently or softly (inaudible), but not that others can hear.