Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 01-13-2010, 07:05 PM
Saved by Grace

Bible Commentaries

Do you read much commentaries?

If so what author or series have you liked, what have you disliked?

Recently I have been reading several of William Barclay's commentaries, which are very interesting from a historical background and he explains several greek words.

However, he is also a universalist, so certain parts have to be taken with a grain of salt.

I've also read Warren Wieserbe, D.A. Carson, F.F. Bruce, Matthew Henry, J. Vernon McGee.

I like Barclay & Bruce the best so far.

Two things I am really suprised to find common in most of these books are:
1)an often repeated condemenation of how carnal modern Christians are. (a big omission since many of these men are in mainline denominations)
2)several oneness statements when commenting on certain scriptures.

"The only man who has the right to say he is justified by grace alone is the man who has left all to follow Christ." ~Dietrich Bonheoffer, The Cost of Discipleship

"Preachers who should be fishing for men are now too often fishing for compliments from men." ~Leonard Ravenhill
Old 01-13-2010, 07:10 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Re: Bible Commentaries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Badejo View Post

Recently I have been reading several of William Barclay's commentaries, which are very interesting from a historical background and he explains several greek words.

However, he is also a universalist, so certain parts have to be taken with a grain of salt.

I've also read Warren Wieserbe, D.A. Carson, F.F. Bruce, Matthew Henry, J. Vernon McGee.

1)an often repeated condemenation of how carnal modern Christians are. (a big omission since many of these men are in mainline denominations)
Hey Brother Jason, did you know you have two angels standing in front of you in your avatar?
Old 01-13-2010, 07:21 PM
Saved by Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evang.Benincasa View Post
Hey Brother Jason, did you know you have two angels standing in front of you in your avatar?
Yep amazing, I don't know how that happened, but I sure am blessed! I'm sure they would love to play with your angels if they ever get the chance.

One of these days..........

"The only man who has the right to say he is justified by grace alone is the man who has left all to follow Christ." ~Dietrich Bonheoffer, The Cost of Discipleship

"Preachers who should be fishing for men are now too often fishing for compliments from men." ~Leonard Ravenhill
Old 01-13-2010, 07:27 PM
Registered Member

I enjoy Adam Clarke and Albert Barnes and John Gill, all found on E-Sword. John Gill's is quite unique since he posts a lot of Jewish oral tradition, that I realize is not always accurate thought.

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."
Old 01-13-2010, 07:44 PM
Saved by Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfblume View Post
I enjoy Adam Clarke and Albert Barnes and John Gill, all found on E-Sword. John Gill's is quite unique since he posts a lot of Jewish oral tradition, that I realize is not always accurate thought.
I just bought John Calvin's Commentary on the New Testament, with a parellel commentary by 14 other commentators. Calvi is on the right side, with the guest commentators on the left. One reason I bought it is because Adam Clarke is the commentator on Matthew, Mark, and Luke. I think albart Barnes and possibly John Gll are among the other commntators, so it will be interesting. The hard part is undertaking a reading project so big. As of now it is in my reference section (along with Josephus), two books I'd like to read someday.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:47 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Yep amazing, I don't know how that happened, but I sure am blessed! I'm sure they would love to play with your angels if they ever get the chance.

One of these days..........
How old are they? Do you have a larger picture? Anastasia and Konstantina would be happy to teach them a Bible study on tithing.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:47 PM
Ravaged by Grace

Quote:

For years, Matthew Henry and Adam Clarke. These days exclusively Warren Weirsbe.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:29 PM
Saved by Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by notofworks View Post
For years, Matthew Henry and Adam Clarke. These days exclusively Warren Weirsbe.
I recently read his commentary on Nehemiah, and I got a few nuggets, but I was really trying to plow through it. I found it to be a very difficult read, I just couldn't get into it.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:33 PM
Saved by Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evang.Benincasa View Post
How old are they? Do you have a larger picture? Anastasia and Konstantina would be happy to teach them a Bible study on tithing.
They are 61/2 and 9 years old (as of Monday). I have bigger pictures, but all the ones on my computer are kind of small. Maybe after they got done with tithing they could discuss the soon coming of our Lord Jesus.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:13 AM
*sigh*

Philo of Alexandria. He studied the Septuagint through the lens of Greek thought. Of some of Plato's work he wrote. "Moses said that, only better." In a lot of cases he was pretty far out there, in others he was very close to truth that would come from Jesus. Since philo lived at the same time period as Jesus and the early church it would not suprise me in the least if Apollos, another educated Alexandrian Jew, who would have spent a lot of time at the great library and museum, had learned from Philo, giving him the basis of doctrine that led him to "a more excellent way."

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfblume
What he said. E-sword is the bomb and the commentary addon above are free!

My Countdown Counting down to: End of the World
It's all over, fat lady done sang...

Last edited by John Atkinson; 01-14-2010 at 06:25 AM.