Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 10-27-2020, 11:17 AM
Registered Member

Re: Have you ever lost confidence in leadership?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coksiw View Post
Sister, regarding the search for truth, I think is correct to not teach what you donít agree with and also not teach something your congregation doesnít believe as a whole. For ethical reasons you should limit yourself to teach what you and your congregation as a whole agrees upon. You should also tell your congregation pastor about your differences and that you will focus only on the common things. I think most UPCI pastors wonít freak out as long as you believe in a future tribulation, the physical return of Christ, and the bodily resurrection of the dead.

Regarding the hairdo, some people, especially older ones, may consider the hair down as immodest. In fact, IIRC, some early centuries churches practiced it. I would obey the pastor of your congregation. You want to be in good standing in front of your congregation in a spirit of meekness. Is it an excessive burden?
There is also the possibility of going to another church in the area if things get too hostile for you.
I agree with you for the most part. But is this guy going to get offended if she wears her hair down while vacationing in another State? Is it just a platform rule? The latter is reasonable.
Old 10-27-2020, 11:30 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
I agree with you for the most part. But is this guy going to get offended if she wears her hair down while vacationing in another State? Is it just a platform rule? The latter is reasonable.
If he is teaching that, even on a one-to-one basis, and the congregation as a whole is practicing it, I think it is best to adopt the practice in meekness. You want to have a good standing in front of your congregation.
That being said, the pastor's argumentation was kind of weak, but nevertheless the meekness and good standing to the congregation still applies in my opinion.

That's why I shave my face as a preacher and I show up in a suit. The practice is not making me sin, and it is not an excessive burden. The argument for it has some weak points in our culture, but I still adopt it because my congregation expects it from me.

Just my opinion.
Old 10-27-2020, 11:30 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
I find it odd that a married woman considers the pastorís opinion, while not even mentioning the opinion of the husband. It seems to me like the husband needs to give the pastor a Bible study. But thatís just my opinion.

Oh, and Paulís.

[3] But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.
[4] Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head.
[5] But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.
[6] For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.
[7] For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man.
Old 10-27-2020, 11:38 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tithesmeister View Post
I find it odd that a married woman considers the pastor’s opinion, while not even mentioning the opinion of the husband. It seems to me like the husband needs to give the pastor a Bible study. But that’s just my opinion.

Oh, and Paul’s.

[3] But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.
[4] Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head.
[5] But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.
[6] For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.
[7] For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man.

Not sure the sister is married, but if she is, I'm sure the conversation was with both of them. I woudn't expect less from an UPCI pastor with a General License.
Old 10-27-2020, 11:39 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coksiw View Post
Not sure the sister is married, but if she is, I'm sure the conversation was with both of them. I woudn't expect less from an UPCI pastor with a General License.
Iím pretty sure the sister is married.

So sister? Was your husband included in the conversation?
Old 10-27-2020, 11:41 AM
Registered Member

Just for good measure . . .

Eph.5

[22] Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.
[23] For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.
[24] Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing.

1Cor.14

[35] And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.

I think if you want to know how to wear your hair, you should ask your husband.

Last edited by Tithesmeister; 10-27-2020 at 11:45 AM.
Old 10-27-2020, 11:48 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Is it reasonable to teach women are going to Hell if they even TRIM their hair and then teach that same long hair is immodest and sexy so it must be put up in an odd looking bun?

Last edited by Michael The Disciple; 10-27-2020 at 11:53 AM.
Old 10-27-2020, 11:48 AM
One Thing-Phil 3:13-14

I am married, and representing the church in the outreach ministry. Thinking about it further, it was mentioned in light of doing outreach and teaching home bible studies.
Old 10-27-2020, 11:54 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanah View Post
I am married, and representing the church in the outreach ministry. Thinking about it further, it was mentioned in light of doing outreach and teaching home bible studies.
Why is it complicated then? Have you asked your husband how he likes you to wear your hair?

Did the pastor ask your husband what he thought about the issue?
Old 10-27-2020, 11:58 AM
One Thing-Phil 3:13-14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tithesmeister View Post
Why is it complicated then? Have you asked your husband how he likes you to wear your hair?

Did the pastor ask your husband what he thought about the issue?
After consideration, it's not complicated. My husband thinks I'm attractive, and tells me so all the time.