Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 06-03-2009, 08:33 AM
Registered Member

Re: Evidence of Spirit Infilling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digging4Truth View Post
I hope I am not veering off the intended path here...

But I have seen people before who came to a service and ended up at the altar. At the altar they were crying and praising God, asking for forgiveness etc and afterward they had a complete personality change. They were, indeed, a different person.

But nobody saw then speak in tongues.

I'm not talking about your average person who was a nice person anyway. I am talking about people who had real interpersonal issues and, all at once, they were changed.

But nobody saw them speak in tongues.

They were thrilled at what they felt. They said they had never felt anything like it before. They said that all the anger, hate & resentment that they had been carrying around had been lifted and they had never felt so clean & free before.

Better watch out you are making a strong case for one-steppers
Old 06-03-2009, 08:37 AM
Honorary Admin

Quote:

But I have seen people before who came to a service and ended up at the altar. At the altar they were crying and praising God, asking for forgiveness etc and afterward they had a complete personality change. They were, indeed, a different person.

I'm not talking about your average person who was a nice person anyway. I am talking about people who had real interpersonal issues and, all at once, they were changed.

They were thrilled at what they felt. They said they had never felt anything like it before. They said that all the anger, hate & resentment that they had been carrying around had been lifted and they had never felt so clean & free before.

So then it begins. People begin to come up to them and tell them that they will be so excited when they receive the Holy Ghost. The doubts begin. What? I thought I did receive the Holy Ghost? So a person who was on cloud nine and walking free now has doubts placed in their minds and they feel like there is something else they need to do.

Then they return to the altar straining and pushing... trying to achieve something that they were told they needed to achieve.

I find this disturbing. Something... maybe it was the barometric pressure of that day... but something changed them.... brought freedom from anger, hatred, resentment... etc.

What was it... because... remember... nobody saw them speak in tongues.
I have seen this happen, the person was delivered from alcohol and drugs... he did a total turn around... he repented and was baptised on Sunday morning... dark look around him vanished... he glowed....he shed his whole druggie appearance (no one ever had to tell him to). He was devoted to the word of God and faithful to church. He was radically changed without ever speaking in tongues.... which he finally did one year later.

His experience was so radical that it confused me... I questioned how it happened several times.

I still have no answer because I do believe that the initial evidence of the Holy Ghost baptism is speaking in tongues....and it is needed to live an overcoming life and to walk in the Spirit.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:40 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hoover View Post
Question; If someone gives a message in tongues (assuming it is then interpreted) is that evidence the individual is Spirit-filled?

How about the usage of the other gifts? Miracles, faith, prophecy, word of knowledge, wisdom etc.? Would exercising any or all of these indicate one is filled with the Holy Spirit?
Do you think someone can preach, prophesy, live a godly, holy overcoming life and not be Spirit filled?

When I was young and clever, I wanted to change the world. Now that I am older and wiser, I strive to change myself. ~
Old 06-03-2009, 08:45 AM
Registered Member

I am going to post what happened in Acts and what the tongues were used for would yall please read it....if you forget all you have been taught and read Acts you see this the same way...I was not raised petecostal and I opened up Acts read it to myself and read it the same way mabey I question things to much but it is pretty cut and dry the purpose of tongues..

http://www.bible.org/page.php?page_id=393
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILG View Post
Do you think someone can preach, prophesy, live a godly, holy overcoming life and not be Spirit filled?
Well no - not truely, but some seem to think those things can be easily mimicked or faked while THE EVIDENCE is to be sought and seems to be without question...

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Registered Member

Quote:

So then it begins. People begin to come up to them and tell them that they will be so excited when they receive the Holy Ghost. The doubts begin. What? I thought I did receive the Holy Ghost? So a person who was on cloud nine and walking free now has doubts placed in their minds and they feel like there is something else they need to do.

Then they return to the altar straining and pushing... trying to achieve something that they were told they needed to achieve.

I find this disturbing. Something... maybe it was the barometric pressure of that day... but something changed them.... brought freedom from anger, hatred, resentment... etc.

I so agree with this d4t. I was one of those people....sort of. I repented, was baptized in the titles and recieved the Holy Ghost and spoke in tongues. Then, I started attending a UPC. They did not validate my wonderful experience but rather questioned it. I was told I was not saved. Then I was baptized in Jesus name and only when they SAW me speak in tongues did they validate my experience. I had a wonderful salvation experience that was questioned and basically degraded. My perception told me that I was saved. They told me I was not. This doubt was seriously damaging. I wish I had had the mindset to question THEM rather than myself when this happened. It would have saved me a lot of grief.

When I was young and clever, I wanted to change the world. Now that I am older and wiser, I strive to change myself. ~
Old 06-03-2009, 08:46 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hoover View Post
Well no - not truely, but some seem to think those things can be easily mimicked or faked while THE EVIDENCE is to be sought and seems to be without question...
Tongues cannot be faked???

Old 06-03-2009, 08:52 AM
Registered Member

Ok ILG since tongues cannot be faked I am posting this for you..LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fkn1BilNhmc
Old 06-03-2009, 08:54 AM
just lurking...

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverBlessed View Post
I have seen this happen, the person was delivered from alcohol and drugs... he did a total turn around... he repented and was baptised on Sunday morning... dark look around him vanished... he glowed....he shed his whole druggie appearance (no one ever had to tell him to). He was devoted to the word of God and faithful to church. He was radically changed without ever speaking in tongues.... which he finally did one year later.

His experience was so radical that it confused me... I questioned how it happened several times.

I still have no answer because I do believe that the initial evidence of the Holy Ghost baptism is speaking in tongues....and it is needed to live an overcoming life and to walk in the Spirit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILG View Post
I so agree with this d4t. I was one of those people....sort of. I repented, was baptized in the titles and recieved the Holy Ghost and spoke in tongues. Then, I started attending a UPC. They did not validate my wonderful experience but rather questioned it. I was told I was not saved. Then I was baptized in Jesus name and only when they SAW me speak in tongues did they validate my experience. I had a wonderful salvation experience that was questioned and basically degraded. My perception told me that I was saved. They told me I was not. This doubt was seriously damaging. I wish I had had the mindset to question THEM rather than myself when this happened. It would have saved me a lot of grief.

This is how it happened to me.

I remember feeling just a completely overwhelming feeling of peace and love. It was like I was saturated in it. If I could have bottled that up and sold it, I would be a gazillionaire today!

That was the huge turning point for me spiritually. Though I didn't speak in tongues for about 3 more months.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:54 AM
Registered Member

Funny how he can just turn it on...LOL