Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Deep Waters
Facebook

Notices

Deep Waters 'Deep Calleth Unto Deep ' -The place to go for Ministry discussions. Please keep it civil. Remember to discuss the issues, not each other.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 07-04-2022, 03:14 PM
good samaritan's Avatar
good samaritan good samaritan is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 2,403
Re: History of Tithes in the Church

I am not against tithing and I personally believe it demonstrates good stewardship. Although, I have seen (wrongly motivated) people tithing because of fear, or as some sort of church dues. I personally believe the heart of the giver is more important than the amount yet the heart of the giver will affect the amount.. Some may easily tithe out of a plentiful income while there are others who may sacrificially give out of a small income like the widows mite. In a nutshell if we love God we are going to invest in his kingdom liberally.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 07-04-2022, 09:51 PM
mfblume's Avatar
mfblume mfblume is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Portage la Prairie, MB CANADA
Posts: 38,009
Re: History of Tithes in the Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by good samaritan View Post
I am not against tithing and I personally believe it demonstrates good stewardship. Although, I have seen (wrongly motivated) people tithing because of fear, or as some sort of church dues. I personally believe the heart of the giver is more important than the amount yet the heart of the giver will affect the amount.. Some may easily tithe out of a plentiful income while there are others who may sacrificially give out of a small income like the widows mite. In a nutshell if we love God we are going to invest in his kingdom liberally.
Amen!
__________________
...MY THOUGHTS, ANYWAY.

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 07-06-2022, 11:10 PM
coksiw coksiw is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 1,726
Re: History of Tithes in the Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by good samaritan View Post
Although, many think teaching tithing today is for greediness. I honestly think it has the opposite effect. If people gave as liberally as the Spirit led it would be far more sacrificial than 10%. Look how the early believers gave all
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfblume View Post
Despite all the reasoning everyone gives, tithes are blessed of God and I have personally proved it to be so as well as many others whom I know. And that in no way restricts someone from giving more than 10 %. I can't believe this is an issue to anyone, except for the mistaken notion that if someone tithes then they are following all the connected legalities from the Old Testament.
Quote:
Originally Posted by good samaritan View Post
I am not against tithing and I personally believe it demonstrates good stewardship. Although, I have seen (wrongly motivated) people tithing because of fear, or as some sort of church dues. I personally believe the heart of the giver is more important than the amount yet the heart of the giver will affect the amount.. Some may easily tithe out of a plentiful income while there are others who may sacrificially give out of a small income like the widows mite. In a nutshell if we love God we are going to invest in his kingdom liberally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfblume View Post
Amen!
So basically what the Bible actually teaches doesn't matter, and the demonstration with historical evidences of the post-apostolic development of that false doctrine doesn't matter either. The "heart" and the how you persuade your audience to believe the false doctrine is what matters at this point to you?

It takes a lot of courage, and faithfulness to the Word of God, to drop that false doctrine, because you know that when you do, you will be kicked out of the fellowship.

BTW, all false doctrines have negative consequences, and such is modern tithing, but you guys won't see it, no matter what.

Last edited by coksiw; 07-06-2022 at 11:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 07-07-2022, 07:36 AM
good samaritan's Avatar
good samaritan good samaritan is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 2,403
Re: History of Tithes in the Church

It is not a sin to tithe or not tithe. It is a sin to not support the local church and other ministries that God has established. There is flexibility in how we give, but tithing for me has been a good place to start. It causes me to recognize Gods increase each week and to honor him for His provision. Just because we are not under the law doesn’t mean we are not allowed to learn from it. In my personal walk with God I have noticed the Spirit impresses me to give much farther than a 10% quota. For me personally it helps to have a starting point, but again that is not teaching it as a sin.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 07-07-2022, 07:46 AM
good samaritan's Avatar
good samaritan good samaritan is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 2,403
Re: History of Tithes in the Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by coksiw View Post
So basically what the Bible actually teaches doesn't matter, and the demonstration with historical evidences of the post-apostolic development of that false doctrine doesn't matter either. The "heart" and the how you persuade your audience to believe the false doctrine is what matters at this point to you?

It takes a lot of courage, and faithfulness to the Word of God, to drop that false doctrine, because you know that when you do, you will be kicked out of the fellowship.

BTW, all false doctrines have negative consequences, and such is modern tithing, but you guys won't see it, no matter what.
As long as the church has been there has been schisms in the body. It is not pleasing to God, but also wisdom must be employed. I donít think turning your back on the rest of the body and labeling them a heretic is the solution. I have grown up in a very legalistic framework of Pentecostals. Although I see some things differently today, I still feel that I must use caution in how I deal with those differences. I personally donít care about a persons stance on tithing, but what is our stance on Jesus?
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 07-07-2022, 07:53 PM
mfblume's Avatar
mfblume mfblume is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Portage la Prairie, MB CANADA
Posts: 38,009
Re: History of Tithes in the Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by good samaritan View Post
It is not a sin to tithe or not tithe. It is a sin to not support the local church and other ministries that God has established. There is flexibility in how we give, but tithing for me has been a good place to start. It causes me to recognize Gods increase each week and to honor him for His provision. Just because we are not under the law doesnít mean we are not allowed to learn from it. In my personal walk with God I have noticed the Spirit impresses me to give much farther than a 10% quota. For me personally it helps to have a starting point, but again that is not teaching it as a sin.
Amen. Good word. Says it all.
__________________
...MY THOUGHTS, ANYWAY.

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 07-07-2022, 10:06 PM
coksiw coksiw is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 1,726
Re: History of Tithes in the Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by good samaritan View Post
As long as the church has been there has been schisms in the body. It is not pleasing to God, but also wisdom must be employed. I don’t think turning your back on the rest of the body and labeling them a heretic is the solution. I have grown up in a very legalistic framework of Pentecostals. Although I see some things differently today, I still feel that I must use caution in how I deal with those differences. I personally don’t care about a persons stance on tithing, but what is our stance on Jesus?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfblume View Post
Amen. Good word. Says it all.
Since you are learning from the law indiscriminately (or really picking and choosing?), do you practice animal sacrifice to worship God as well? See:
  • It was practiced voluntarily as an act of worship even before the Law of Moses by Noah, Abraham, and others,
  • it was also voluntary and mandatory in the Law of Moses,
  • and it was also endorsed by Jesus (Mar 1:44, Mat 5:23-24).

The same criteria you use to conclude you "learned from the law that we must practice tithing" of the increase of the land to levites, ... oh, excuse me, of money to pastors.

I can't wait to see when you guys will start practicing animal sacrifices to worship.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 07-07-2022, 10:27 PM
good samaritan's Avatar
good samaritan good samaritan is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 2,403
Re: History of Tithes in the Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by coksiw View Post
Since you are learning from the law indiscriminately (or really picking and choosing?), do you practice animal sacrifice to worship God as well? See:
  • It was practiced voluntarily as an act of worship even before the Law of Moses by Noah, Abraham, and others,
  • it was also voluntary and mandatory in the Law of Moses,
  • and it was also endorsed by Jesus (Mar 1:44, Mat 5:23-24).

The same criteria you use to conclude you "learned from the law that we must practice tithing" of the increase of the land to levites, ... oh, excuse me, of money to pastors.

I can't wait to see when you guys will start practicing animal sacrifices to worship.
I do actually. Last year I slaughtered a hog personally of mine and fed my church whole hog barbecue. We had a really good time. Lol
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 07-07-2022, 11:01 PM
coksiw coksiw is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 1,726
Re: History of Tithes in the Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by good samaritan View Post
I do actually. Last year I slaughtered a hog personally of mine and fed my church whole hog barbecue. We had a really good time. Lol
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 07-08-2022, 06:56 AM
TGBTG TGBTG is offline
Jesus is the only Lord God


 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,563
Re: History of Tithes in the Church

Tithing and Giving are two different things.

It is LITERALLY IMPOSSIBLE to tithe today (if you follow the rules of tithing set forth in Deut 14, Deut 26)

The New Testament teaches all sorts of Giving:
Giving to support the work of the ministry (1 cor 9:13-15)
Giving to the less fortunate (James 2:16, Eph 4:28)
Giving to the needs of other believers (Rom 12:13)
Giving not of COMPULSION (2 Cor 9:7)
Giving cheerful (2 Cor 9:7)
Giving is better than receiving (Acts 20:35)
Giving to all that ask of you (Matt 5:42)
Giving in DEED and not just in words (James 2:15-17)

And many others…

If you purpose in your heart to set aside 10% of your wealth to giving, fine. If you want to give more or less, fine. Let everyone give according to their faith.

One thing though: he that soweth sparingly reaps sparingly and he that soweth bountifully reaps bountifully (2 Cor 9:6)
__________________
...Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ...(Acts 20:21)

Last edited by TGBTG; 07-08-2022 at 07:02 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
History of tithes in North America James Griffin Fellowship Hall 25 11-01-2010 11:07 AM
Where do you go to church,If you dont pay tithes? corvet786c Fellowship Hall 12 09-11-2009 06:16 AM
Would You Attend a Church Whose Pastor Did Not Pay Tithes? tamor Fellowship Hall 54 09-21-2007 02:52 PM
Would you attend a church that did not require tithes? COOPER Fellowship Hall 178 08-14-2007 01:23 PM

 
User Infomation
Your Avatar

Latest Threads
- by Barb

Help Support AFF!

Advertisement




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.