Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 11-05-2007, 03:51 PM
Registered Member

I received the HG before being baptized in Jesus name and still felt a cleansing at baptism. I agree with Elder Eply, but I don't condemn one-steppers and would gladly fellowship and still teach 3 steps.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:15 PM
Registered Member

I have NEVER claimed to be a 3-stepper that is a strawman. However there are THREE that bear witness in the earth blood-water-spirit and they agree in one. The witness of God is blood-water-Spirit. Acts 9 & 10 folks recieved the HGB before baptism as a witness it can happen. However baptism was NEVER reduced to a sacrament. Baptism is where the sins of the penitent are remitted by faith in His shed blood. And ONLY in baptism in this dispensation.
NO ONE person has remission of sins without baptism in Jesus Name in the Church age.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:42 PM
Live like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hutchinson View Post
If someone sincerly repents about sin in their life and they really mean business and God forgives them is their sins still held agains't them ?
Luke 24:47
And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem

Acts 2:38
"...repent and be baptized every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins..."

Repentance and remission are to be preached together... not separated as some in the church world have done...

1 John 5:6
This is he that came by water and blood, even Jesus Christ; not by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit that beareth witness, because the Spirit is truth

1 Peter 3:21
20Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

21The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:

We are Cleansed by our obedience.

In the garden.. it was obedience.
Under the law... obedience.
Today... obedience.

Hebrews 6:1-2
1Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,

2Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.

Hebrews 5:12
12For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat.

Heb 5:12
These people should have been able to teach these things but couldn't...
the first principles
Heb 6:1-2
the first principles are repentance, faith, baptisms, laying on of hands, ressurection of dead... eternal judgement.

Psalm 19:14
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
My Countdown Counting down to: Spring...
April Showers Bring May Flowers!
Old 11-05-2007, 06:48 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. LPW View Post
Luke 24:47
And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem

Acts 2:38
"...repent and be baptized every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins..."

Repentance and remission are to be preached together... not separated as some in the church world have done...

1 John 5:6
This is he that came by water and blood, even Jesus Christ; not by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit that beareth witness, because the Spirit is truth

1 Peter 3:21
20Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

21The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:

We are Cleansed by our obedience.

In the garden.. it was obedience.
Under the law... obedience.
Today... obedience.

Hebrews 6:1-2
1Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,

2Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.

Hebrews 5:12
12For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat.

Heb 5:12
These people should have been able to teach these things but couldn't...
the first principles
Heb 6:1-2
the first principles are repentance, faith, baptisms, laying on of hands, ressurection of dead... eternal judgement.
Using the Bible on AFF is looked down on so straighten up.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:50 PM
I remain the Petulant Chevalier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Epley View Post
Using the Bible on AFF is looked down on so straighten up.
well, it depends. THESE parts of the bible are looked down on. some other stuff gets top billing. context however gets short shrift.

Great post Ms LPW.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:51 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
well, it depends. THESE parts of the bible are looked down on. some other stuff gets top billing. context however gets short shrift.

Great post Ms LPW.
Evidently she is a baptismal regenerationist.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:02 PM
Resident PeaceMaker

All parts of the bible are important.And certainly the Christian faith did start in the Book Of Acts.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:47 PM
Live like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Alicea View Post
We agree w/ most of this statement ... it is in the re-enactment theology that gets you guys in the biggest conodrums.
NIV
2 Thessalonians 1:8
He will punish those who do not know God and do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus.2

1 Peter 4:17
For it is time for judgment to begin with the family of God; and if it begins with us, what will the outcome be for those who do not obey the gospel of God?

Jesus said:
Luke 6:46
KJV

46And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?

47Whosoever cometh to me, and heareth my sayings, and doeth them, I will shew you to whom he is like:

48He is like a man which built an house, and digged deep, and laid the foundation on a rock: and when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently upon that house, and could not shake it: for it was founded upon a rock.

49But he that heareth, and doeth not, is like a man that without a foundation built an house upon the earth; against which the stream did beat vehemently, and immediately it fell; and the ruin of that house was great.

Jesus said;
John 3:3-5

3Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

4Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?

5Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

Jesus said;
Luke 24:46-48

46And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behooved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day:

47And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

48And ye are witnesses of these things.

Act 22:16
Ananias said to Paul:

16And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

If baptism wasn't a part and parcel in the new birth, why were men commanded to be re-baptised.
And after people had spoken with tongues they were still commanded to be baptised.

Acts 2: Jews were baptised
Acts 8: Samaritans were baptised
Acts 10: Gentiles
Acts 19: the Ephesians

Four groups of people recieving salvation in the book of Acts, every one of them being baptised.

Acts 8: Eunuch baptised
Acts 9: Saul
Acts 16 Lydia
Acts 16 Jailer (so important they didn't wait till daylight to baptise him)

In every account of someone being saved.. all were baptised in the name of Jesus...

Jesus' great commission was:
Mark:
15And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

16He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned

(if you don't believe you obviously won't be baptised)

Acts 2:41
41Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.

No re-enactment... just obedience.
We know what we must do because Jesus made it clear and the apostles patterned it for us...
We know we identify (what you call re-enacting) with the gospel of Jesus' death, buriel and ressurection in such a way, because the apostles taught that if we are buried with Christ in baptism we have put on Christ...

I wouldn't call it re-enacting at all... and I'm not in any conodrum.

Psalm 19:14
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
My Countdown Counting down to: Spring...
April Showers Bring May Flowers!
Old 11-07-2007, 05:38 AM
Registered Member

To accept the Gospel is to be obedient to the Gospel. This is the obedience of faith.

Rom 10:16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?

Faith itself in the Gospel is obedience to the Gospel. The Gospel is good news to be accepted. Salvation is in the acceptance of the Gospel, not in the mimicking of the Gospel.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:47 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adino View Post
To accept the Gospel is to be obedient to the Gospel. This is the obedience of faith.

Rom 10:16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?

Faith itself in the Gospel is obedience to the Gospel. The Gospel is good news to be accepted. Salvation is in the acceptance of the Gospel, not in the mimicking of the Gospel.
Faith is repenting.
Faith is being baptized.
Faith is recieving the Holy Ghost.
Faith is walking with God.