Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 05-12-2007, 12:48 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Alvear View Post
An amusement park came to our town and I took my Sunday School class...Most of you know we work in a country that mainly has two classes of people the very rich and the very poor...My class, teenagers, had NEVER been one time to ride a ride of any kind. We took 30 of them. Bought their tickets gave some of them snack money and they had the biggest time...
Remember I work with people who have never had the money to even go to McDonalds...the park cost what a man would make working 2 and a half days per person! (Brazilian money)
Needless to say they were amazed beyound words....and we rode some of the rides with them and that seemed to make it so special to them...

Rejoice my friends...you have untold and uncounted blessings that most of the world will never enjoy...If you could have seen their smiles...
Blessings to you, Sis. Alvear. I am so glad that you and these children had this wonderful time together. .....Anyone who might condemn that is a little nuts in my opinion. ..LOL
Old 05-12-2007, 01:13 PM
Some people could make a statue weep

Sister Alvear you stated, "I did something carnal today" -- however after reading WHAT it was that you did --- I have to say that there is, to me, a vast difference in doing something carnal and doing something natural. Carnal, in the Biblical sense, refers to desires of the flesh that are contrary to the Spirit (if we walk after the flesh - we die - if we walk after the Spirit - we live). Doing something natural does not mean an out-of-bounds fleshly appetite -but rather just living (we are IN the world but not OF it).

I do not see your excursion to the park as carnal (in any sense) but just an example of living in this world while walking as a Christian. More power to you and may God allow more good times in a very bad world for all of you and your people.

JMO, anyway
Old 05-12-2007, 01:14 PM
Registered Member

Sister Alvear,

Again, I was in no way trying to castigate you or what you did. I just know that too many of US (again, I include myself) are FAR MORE "earthly minded" than we are TRULY "heavenly minded."

No stones to throw here. Ravenhill just makes me do some SERIOUS introspection.
Old 05-12-2007, 01:14 PM
Sister Alvear

I just want to please my lovely Lord but I think He was happy we took out time for my SS class...Do you know what time some of them went to bed? We got home about 11 but at 4 this morning some were still sitting in my living room! Then they have been back today to thank me. Most of them live in little houses around us...They are my joy...I feel some of them have the call of God on their life please pray for them.
Old 05-12-2007, 01:17 PM
Sister Alvear

Yes, please help us in prayer for a great revival...we are pushing forward and penetrating the dark domain of spiritual bondage in this country.
Old 05-12-2007, 02:42 PM
Brother Strange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Alvear View Post
Dear Kansas Preacher:

Blessings and peace to you. Yes, even though I might sound like a paradox I agree with you to..and Ravenhill's books are some of my favorites. I long for a GOD sent revival.
Brazil is not a country where people come in groves to hear the gospel but we have seen a harvest of souls over the years.
Brother Alvear moved to start a brand new pioneer work here in northeast Brazil 10 years ago. God has blessed our efforts for we do not belong to any organization so our daily bread comes direct from His hands through His people.
Those that know me know I spend very little on God's money for pleasure but talking with my Sunday school class everyone of them expressed they had never one time ever rode a ride...they are the poorest of the poor. These kids have prayed all nights at the church, spend one entire Sunday all day fasting and praying, go on missions with me and some do not even have a decent pair of shoes unless I bring them from the states.
These kids are not spoiled by America's soft living. They are 3rd world kids...they are really almost grown...but they are so pure and innocent and so God loving.
I felt to take them for a night off....we have church every night here!

These children have never ate a hamburger at McDonalds even though we do have McDonalds but it is far above what they would ever have the money for.

Most of their parents make 80 dollars a month so they just survive they really don't live...Things are very expensive here. Brazil is not like some places where things are cheap.

They have all been to my house today thanking me for taking them to ride a few rides. Right now they are all over at the church singing and praying...no it is not service time church is their life..it was not once that way...

I did not mean we could not be spiritually minded I just knew some would think it worldly of me to show the kids a good time...

I feel in fact I know I could and should be more spiritual but working with people requires balance.

These kids are so sweet they had worked and worked to get musical instruments and in convention whenword came that one of our churches in another state was broke into. The pastor of the broken into church was standing there crying saying they lost all their instruments these same kids started unstrapping their guitars, unplugging their microphones and walked off the platform and put their instruments at the feet of the weeping preacher...

These are precious young people....next month they are going to another state and will be sleeping on the floors and in hammocks on a mission trip...

Please, pray that I can be a godly teacher...and that my heart will be filled with faith, hope and love...
Sister,

Your deed was probably the most spiritual or heavenly deed that I've read about in a long time. I feel certain that God smiled on your action in this regard with great approval.

Furthermore, your post above is probably the most spiritual thing that I've read since I've been on this particular forum.

God bless you, sister. God really, really bless you real good. I know the Lord is greatly pleased with what you did.
Old 05-12-2007, 02:49 PM
Brother Strange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Preacher View Post
Sister Alvear,

Again, I was in no way trying to castigate you or what you did. I just know that too many of US (again, I include myself) are FAR MORE "earthly minded" than we are TRULY "heavenly minded."

No stones to throw here. Ravenhill just makes me do some SERIOUS introspection.
Good ol' Leonard was way late with that expression. I heard it long before he wrote, "Why Revival Tarries." He may have heard it from my own Father. He used it long before I was ankle high to a toad...and just as ugly. I've heard many others besides my father use it long before He copped it in his writings.
Old 05-12-2007, 04:31 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Preacher View Post
You know, CR, when I first read your post, I thought I agreed with you. However, the more I've thought about it, I must say that I do NOT concur that I "agree with both." The man to whom you refer was not TRULY "heavenly minded." Rather, he was self-centered.

I understand that the phrase "so heavenly minded they are no earthly good" is in reference to folks like that, but the fact is, THE MORE HEAVENLY MINDED WE BECOME, THE MORE EARTHLY GOOD WE ACCOMPLISH.

I knew a man much like the one you referenced. He took over a Home Missions work. The district got together and brought men in from across the state to help him remodel his home. He couldn't help that morning because he was "led to pray." After he finished praying, he was "led to do outreach." He stayed gone the entire day while the rest of us worked like crazy TO HELP HIM. The fact was, he was neither praying, NOR reaching for the lost. He was lazy. Plain and simple. These are the kind of people to whom the cliche refers.

Nevertheless, there really is NO TRUTH in the statement AT ALL. It is simply impossible to be TRULY "heavenly minded" and not accomplish MUCH GOOD on earth at the same time. Sadly, I'm afraid it's just a cop out for our carnality.

I agree that folks can PRETEND to be "heavenly minded" and become of no use to anyone. However, I do NOT agree that they can actually BE "so heavenly minded they are no earthly good."

On the other hand, I am absolutely CERTAIN that MANY people are "so earthly minded they are no Heavenly good."

"For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God" (Romans 8:6-8).

Nowhere do I read the Apostle Paul admonishing us not to become "TOO Spiritually minded." Nowhere do I read a warning from Christ or ANY of His followers that we might get so wrapped up in Heavenly things we become of no service to His Kingdom OR this world. It's just not there.

No, the sad truth is that it is IMPOSSIBLE to TRULY become "so heavenly minded that we are no earthly good." It just CAN'T happen.

I am certain that EVERY ONE OF US (myself included) could stand to become MORE "Heavenly minded" than we are right now. ALL OF US are FAR more concerned with earthly things than we should be.

God, teach us -- teach ME -- to pray more. Help me to become MORE "spiritually minded" than I am right now. I do NOT fear that I will reach a place where I will be "so heavenly minded that I am no earthly good." I do, however, fear that I may one day become "so earthly minded I am no Heavenly good."

"But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway" (1 Corinthians 9:27).

Honest confession is good for the soul.
Good post, KS Preacher! I didn't look at it as being self-centered. Just used the other saying and thought it applied there. But what you wrote makes sense.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:28 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Strange View Post
Good ol' Leonard was way late with that expression. I heard it long before he wrote, "Why Revival Tarries." He may have heard it from my own Father. He used it long before I was ankle high to a toad...and just as ugly. I've heard many others besides my father use it long before He copped it in his writings.
Bro Strange, KP said that Ravenhill was commenting on that expression...not taking credit for coining it. His post a page or two back explains that a little better.

Lord bless...
Old 05-12-2007, 06:44 PM
Brother Strange

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh View Post
Bro Strange, KP said that Ravenhill was commenting on that expression...not taking credit for coining it. His post a page or two back explains that a little better.

Lord bless...
That's right.

Thanks.