Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Newsroom > Political Talk
Facebook

Notices

Political Talk Political News

Search For Similiar Threads Using Key Words & Phrases
bp oil, federal, florida, spil, wetland

Old 05-22-2010, 10:25 PM
Registered Member

Re: More Governement Needed!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermyn Davidson View Post
More Government is not the answer.

We agree.

But you criticize the Federal government for not getting involved.

Don't you see the, uh, trouble I am having trying to combine both sentiments.

So many "conservatives" share your sentiments, but I am convinced that they are ill-informed or simply jumping on the "Let's Criticize The Democrat" bandwagon.
I don't think they need to be involved but they sure do.....

It would seem to me that the accident's responsibility rest squarely with BP. If it was an accident..........
Psa 119:165 (KJV) 165 Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them.

"Do not believe everthing you read on the internet" - Abe Lincoln
Old 05-22-2010, 10:57 PM
Accepts all friends requests

Quote:
I am calm.

Why are you minimizing such a catastrophe?

You wouldn't try to make such a silly comparison if it was your livelihood on the line or your beaches that have an environmental nightmare headed their way.

Currently, America does not have an immediate catastrophe concerning the encroachment of sea water upon our midwest corn fields.

We do have an urgent issue and it is my guess that most "conservatives", unless first hand affected by this, are playing this catastrophe down in their minds.

In deed, some conservatives have the art of turning away down pat.

What happened to our compassion-- tossed out the window with our Contract For America?
I am not a shrimp fisherman but I have studied a little geology - so you are correct, my viewpoint is a bit different than the shrimper.

And, I am not "minimizing" this particular catastrophe - I am merely trying to put it into the proper context. Your exclamations about the soapy dispersants that are being applied are misplaced. The dispersant being use is essentially like the dish soap that Madge has her customers soaking their hands in: http://www.tvacres.com/admascots_madge.htm

Now, no one recommends that we just pump thousands of gallons of Palmolive into the ocean for no good reason at all. However, when there is a large petroleum spill, the "dish soap" will assist greatly in the clean up. Just look at what Palmolive can do for your greasy casserole dishes.

By cutting the thick petroleum, the dispersants will aid in the natural degradation of the petroleum. Petroleum is a natural (though toxic in large doses!) part of the environment and there are several agents that will cause it to break down such as natural sunlight and several different strains of bacteria which feed upon petroleum.

Large spills of this magnitude are obviously a huge problem, but demonizing the guys out there in the little plastic booties who are swabbing away at the mess isn't going to help in the clean up.

There was a much larger spill in the Gulf of a similar nature to this one farther to the south several years ago. That pipe pumped petroleum straight into the Gulf of Mexico unchecked for 10 months! But, I'll bet you never even heard of that spill nor did you ever see any of its consequences. And that was the second largest spill in history - right in your backyard, so to speak, yet you didn't lose any sleep over that one.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:06 PM

Quote:
"The oil will become nutritious for natural organisms!!"
-Erik Fyrwald,
CEO, NALCO
Technically, the oil is already nutritious for many natural organisms. Why is it that we don't see all of the oil that has ever been spilled still floating around?

It's because petroleum is the liquefied remains of once living organisms. It is the "distilled" essence of the metabolism of many different organisms throughout the history of the sludge that was once a forest.

When it appears above the surface it is literally gobbled up. Dumping huge quantities of it all in one place is NOT recommended because the "gobbling" does take some time and all of the other organisms in the environment that don't particularly care for the oil are stressed by its presence.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevDWW View Post
I don't think they need to be involved but they sure do.....

It would seem to me that the accident's responsibility rest squarely with BP. If it was an accident..........
The timing was certainly suspicious and even the President took the "just to be safe" step of sending SWAT bomb teams out to all of our oil platforms. The remote guys who were monitoring operations on the rig however, reported conditions and alarms that would seem to indicate a huge methane burst going up the well and subsequently igniting.

Now, why none of the double layers of fail safe shut offs kicked in is another matter.

And, BP's been nothing but upfront and transparent about this whole thing. Eleven of their people died and I don't think their bodies were even recovered, yet the BP people have continued on the job and maintained their sense of mission.

It's tragic and not the kind of thing that anyone wants to think about... but those bodies that haven't been recovered will in all likelihood be broken down by the same organisms that metabolize other carbon molecules such as those found in petroleum.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:52 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedicated Mind View Post
What a mess. Limbaugh wants to blame enviromentalists for forcing oil drilling far offshore and thus more dangerous. Ludicrous. Greed is to blame. Republicans are blocking the liability limits of oil companies from being raised from 75 million. We know who republicans stand for. Big oil, Big business and Big money. Hypocrites! should be tarred and feathered.
See this is the problem with the left, they want to blame someone else and not realize that blame is widespread

So what if RL is correct and the Envronazi's contributed to forcing drilling further offshore? Why not blame them for doing that?

And why not blame government for not adding MORE regulation as far as safety is concerned?

As far as where republicans stand, big business? How about the Dems? Obama got more money from the bankers than any republican did. They are all hypocrites. I say, if the Dems want to appear innocent, give ALL money they got from oil, big business and every financial institution back!

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:53 PM
Go Dodgers!

Thank you!

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
Old 05-23-2010, 02:55 PM
Registered Member

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100523/...s_oil_rig_leak

More calls for the government to "push BP out of the way".

Interesting, to say the least.

Even more interesting is the fact that so many of these folks are not calling on their State governments for more action. They are indeed calling on the Federal government for more action.

Whatever....
Old 05-23-2010, 02:58 PM
Go Dodgers!

This just shows how inept the government is

Quote:
The U.S. government threatened to remove BP from efforts to seal a blown-out oil well in the Gulf of Mexico if it doesn't do enough to stop the leak, though it acknowledged only the company and the oil industry have the know-how to halt the deepwater spill.

Old 05-23-2010, 03:11 PM
Registered Member

This study proves crude oil is fatal for most plants, but not all.

http://www.idosi.org/aejsr/3(1)08/13.pdf

So it is not a lie to say that crude oil is nutritious.

However, anyone with half a brain knows that crude oil is toxic to humans and the environment, in most situations.
Old 05-23-2010, 03:22 PM
Registered Member

This study proves that crude oil, once dispersed, is actually MORE TOXIC to shrimp. Read the abstract without purchasing the study.

It can be surmised that the broken down crude oil will be more toxic to all of the sea creatures, not just the shrimp.

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/j...TRY=1&SRETRY=0