Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Search For Similiar Threads Using Key Words & Phrases
tongues

Old 04-13-2012, 11:27 PM
Registered Member

Re: Tongues, boundaries, rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by PASTOR'S WIFE View Post
Just for clarification: Translation and Interpretation are 2 different things. Translation would be word for word but interpretation could be condensed or lengthened to relay what God has spoken to the church. So interpretation of tongues is what is done in most churches. God uses our mouth and our vocabularily to get the message across.
This makes sense to me.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:31 PM
Registered Member

One time someone started laughing in church. I mean big guffaws that lasted what seemed like a long time.

What would this be called?
Old 04-14-2012, 12:46 AM
Apostolic Pentecostal

Being tickled?

I would say that it would depend on if they were in the Spirit before they started laughing. If so, it may be the Holy Ghost blessing them in a unique way. THis was not unheard of in the early days of Pentecost before the days of the Latter Rain and Charismatic movements.

Visit me at www.jonathandtalbot.blogspot.com.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:52 AM
Registered Member

Holy laughter?

The woman said afterwards that God must have known she needed some joy in her life.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:02 AM
Apostolic Pentecostal

There is a difference between the true 'Holy Laughter' and that which is often promoted in the Charismatic style services. I have seen it for myself.

Visit me at www.jonathandtalbot.blogspot.com.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:21 AM
Saved & Shaved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
There is a difference between the true 'Holy Laughter' and that which is often promoted in the Charismatic style services. I have seen it for myself.
scripture please
Old 04-16-2012, 08:39 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
that is NOT what it says. It says if there is no interpreter (someone with that gift).

It also does not say not to speak in tongues. It says speak to your self.

Now I must ask how does one know if there is no interpreter? If one reads the context it appears this church had people speaking in tongues left and right without interpretations or everyone was speaking before the interpretation, thus Paul limited tongues to 2-3. So then after speaking in tongues by 2-3 if no interpretation came rather than others speaking in tongues they were to speak to
Prax I understand your post but like this past Sunday, some were praying with others and more then 2 or 3 where speaking in "tongues", no interpretation, that is the problem I have with the whole Tongues thing if you speak in tongues to yourself no one around you will hear it or if they do it needs interpreting which very,very,very rarely happenes. I believe in tongues as it happenes in the bible,it just does not happene the same way as the bible in churches.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:09 AM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

So we have a "true" Holy Laughter and a false Holy Laughter?

The real truth is, once one leaves the scriptural instruction and pattern, then anything goes.

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Old 04-16-2012, 09:16 AM
just lurking...

I tiptoe out of obscurity to say:

Once upon a time I heard a girl who spoke English and Spanish, speak French while praying in tongues. This was not a tongues/interpretation type situation, just in the prayer room. She was next to me, and I recognized it and with my 4 years of high school french could pick out a word hear and there, but it was mostly too fast for me to understand.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:42 AM
Wouldn't Take Nothin' For My Journey Now!

Through the years (53 yrs), many people have walked through the doors of the church my late father founded and pastored. Many young people that went to school with our church children, my siblings, myself, visited as children. They felt God's Presence but upon mentioning it to their parents, were immediately frisked off to their denominal pastor. Of course their pastor (who had never received the Holy Ghost), had the ready answers to take the Word(seed)out of their young hearts. But in the past few years, seeds that were sown many years ago, have lain in hearts, but as they grew up and matured, have come and received the Spirit as adults. Some just this year. Some the last five years. Being diagnosed with cancer, brain tumors, etc., caused some to seek something they remembered as children. They admitted denominal pastors and parents alike, fought them against the "Pentecostal" church. Just this week on Facebook, a man who is now married and has children, saw my name, and sent me a message telling me
me how "you people" influenced him as a child. Wanted to thank me for my part in that influence. I called an area bank one day and the lady that took my call, asked me if I was ???'s mother. Also spoke of the influence the church had on her as a child when she came to our SS. When she was 14 yrs old, she received the Holy Ghost and when she wanted to be baptized, her mother wouldn't allow her to come anymore. Was told by her mother that she could go to any church but the Pentecostal church. Many children came on our buses or was brought by church members (although their parents didn't/wouldn't come. The parents of several children allowed their children to come, but would never come, unless their kids had a part in a special program. When their little boy grew older, and their children started getting in trouble, they wanted our father to help them. Dad and Mom "trained up" their own eleven children "in the way they SHOULD go". He was able to pastor (shepherd) other's children for a while. But the influence of the home they lived in didn't agree with the church.
I could tell many sad stories, but I could also tell many glad stories that my late parents were never able to see. We haven't seen the end of the LORD, that HE is of much compassion and of tender mercies.
Just recently a young lady came and visited our church. She had once been very active in a local denominal church. She had moved to another state near her grandmother. She went to a "Spirit-filled" church with her grandmother, felt the Presence of God in a Powerful way. Moved back to our city and visited our church, came two weeks ago and received the Holy Ghost. GOD is bringing out of darkness, those who are hungering and thirsting for righteousness and they are being filled. When they receive the SPIRIT, they speak in other tongues, without exception.
Those who have never received the Holy Spirit/Ghost (same thing), don't need to be saying a lot about some place they have never been. You can't take others to places you've never been yourself. You can't tell people how beautiful Colorado is, IF you have not been there yourself. You can imagine from pictues, films, etc. But not the REAL thing!
Perhaps some have been vocal about things they know nothing of. Many places I have been/seen by experience, etc.
My posts are never intended to be harsh or unkind.

Falla39