Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Sunday School > Soul Winners Haven
Facebook

Notices

Soul Winners Haven Discuss soul winning topics here.

Old 07-30-2007, 02:51 PM
Philippians 4

Have any AFF'ers started a church from zero?

Just looking for some friendly advice and encouragement.

My husband and I started a Spanish church here in Wilmington, NC a year and a half ago.

It's been a little bit of a roller coaster ride. I was just wondering if anyone had some advice or experiences they may want to share.

myspace.com/darciemarti
Old 07-30-2007, 02:58 PM
Chewy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcie View Post
Just looking for some friendly advice and encouragement.

My husband and I started a Spanish church here in Wilmington, NC a year and a half ago.

It's been a little bit of a roller coaster ride. I was just wondering if anyone had some advice or experiences they may want to share.
Do you guys preach in spanish or do you have an interpreter?
Old 07-30-2007, 02:59 PM
Philippians 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
Do you guys preach in spanish or do you have an interpreter?

It's all done in Spanish. We come from an all speaking spanish congregation in NYC.

myspace.com/darciemarti
Old 07-30-2007, 03:01 PM

Yes!

My favorite topic!

We started the church I pastor seven years ago this Wednesday, August 1st.
Just me, my wife, and our three kids.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:03 PM
Philippians 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Poster View Post
Yes!

My favorite topic!

We started the church I pastor seven years ago this Wednesday, August 1st.
Just me, my wife, and our three kids.

Tell me about your growing pains! That way I'll know if what we are going thru is normal!

myspace.com/darciemarti
Old 07-30-2007, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcie View Post
Tell me about your growing pains! That way I'll know if what we are going thru is normal!

We grew very slowly. We added five the first year. Five the next year.
A total of 15 after two years. Not your prototypical HM success story, huh?

We lived in the back of the church for six months because I was stupid and sacrificed my family's well-being to purchase a church building.

The building we bought was an old pool supply store. The walls were blue and green. We totally renovated it. It is completely paid for now, and we are about to build a new church.

In our third year we added a Kid's Church program. This is the engine of our church. Since then we have had over 1300 visitors come through our doors. From that we added a sports program for kids. We sponsored little league programs in our city. We give away free school supplies to hundreds of kids each fall.

We OWN the children's ministry market in our town.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:17 PM
uncharismatic conservative maverick

Quote:
We grew very slowly. We added five the first year. Five the next year.
A total of 15 after two years. Not your prototypical HM success story, huh?

We lived in the back of the church for six months because I was stupid and sacrificed my family's well-being to purchase a church building.

The building we bought was an old pool supply store. The walls were blue and green. We totally renovated it. It is completely paid for now, and we are about to build a new church.

In our third year we added a Kid's Church program. This is the engine of our church. Since then we have had over 1300 visitors come through our doors. From that we added a sports program for kids. We sponsored little league programs in our city. We give away free school supplies to hundreds of kids each fall.

We OWN the children's ministry market in our town.
I got some stories about the families well being. I'll refrain though 'cause it will come off as complaining. LOL!
Old 07-30-2007, 03:18 PM
Philippians 4

Quote:
The most important thing to remember is that instant successes are few. Plan on the work growing steadily, over a period of years - not months.

Next, remember that great sacrifice brings great reward, but be careful what you sacrifice. Your kids need to know you value them. Don't lose them while doing a work for God.

Let's see.... don't worry about purchasing a building right away. People will pressure you big time. Don't rent our purchase any building until there is just no other option and the church can truly afford it.

When people ask you "how many you runnin'?", learn to be vague. Say something like "quite a few" or "the Lord has really blessed us with a great group". Don't fall prey to the numbers game because Sister, your numbers are gonna follow that roller coaster path.

Let God be God. Remember it's His church. Whatever you do, do it excellently. Don't start any program without counting the costs.

Use new converts. Use them everywhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherEastman View Post
I got some stories about the families well being. I'll refrain though 'cause it will come off as complaining. LOL!
Well I grew up a PK, so at least I know that side of it!

myspace.com/darciemarti
Old 07-30-2007, 03:08 PM

The most important thing to remember is that instant successes are few. Plan on the work growing steadily, over a period of years - not months.

Next, remember that great sacrifice brings great reward, but be careful what you sacrifice. Your kids need to know you value them. Don't lose them while doing a work for God.

Let's see.... don't worry about purchasing a building right away. People will pressure you big time. Don't rent or purchase any building until there is just no other option and the church can truly afford it.

When people ask you "how many you runnin'?", learn to be vague. Say something like "quite a few" or "the Lord has really blessed us with a great group". Don't fall prey to the numbers game because Sister, your numbers are gonna follow that roller coaster path.

Let God be God. Remember it's His church. Whatever you do, do it excellently. Don't start any program without counting the costs.

Old 07-30-2007, 03:12 PM
Philippians 4

Quote:

Let's see.... don't worry about purchasing a building right away. People will pressure you big time. Don't rent our purchase any building until there is just no other option and the church can truly afford it.

Thank you for that! I'm going to have to save this post somewhere!

We've had a bunch come and go. But we do have a small solid group that we can truly count on. And we do use them, whenever and wherever we can for sure

myspace.com/darciemarti