Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 02-17-2007, 10:16 AM
Smiles everyone...Smiles!!

Live Like You Were Dying

Having had the flu the last several days, I got to thinking this morning about death, and thought this might be an interesting thread to place here.

What would you do if you knew you had one month to live, and then you would lay down and "go to sleep". Lets presume for discussions sake that it is Gods timing for your death. No dreaded diseases. You were just going to die in 30 days.

What things would you strive to accomplish? What things in your life would you change?

You now have 30 days to live!! What are you going to do with each of these days?
Old 02-17-2007, 10:30 AM
Registered Member

Matt, have you heard the country song by that title?
Old 02-17-2007, 10:37 AM
Smiles everyone...Smiles!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margies3 View Post
Matt, have you heard the country song by that title?
Yes. It is an touching song. I think the reality is that most of us do not consider death something that could come at any time. I know we should not live in the fear of death, but sometimes in my own life I stop remembering that life is short.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:42 AM

Lets see....

sky-diving
Rocky Mountain climbing
I'd ride a bull named foomanchu
love deeper
live sweeter
give forgiveness I have been denying

Thats all I can think of now.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:43 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmatthew View Post
Yes. It is an touching song. I think the reality is that most of us do not consider death something that could come at any time. I know we should not live in the fear of death, but sometimes in my own life I stop remembering that life is short.

Death is a reality that I think about every day.I am not fearful of it- I welcome it, at times...HOWEVER, I worry about my precious new granddaughter, and what would happen to her at my passing...I think about my girls, and how dependent on me they are- I have began taking steps to 'wean' them off of mom...they aren't liking it too much. But, they have GOT to 'get it' for themselves. It hurts to watch them falter,and make bad decisions, knowing that I could steer them right, if I so chose- but, they have to learn to be strong in the Lord, and in the POWER of HIS might.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:43 AM
Administrator

I would do make sure I was good and repented first thing.

I would say goodbye to all my love ones.

I would try and finish all my books. Would not get much sleep, but oh well, I would be sleeping for a long time anyway.

It is a sobering thought.

But more sobering to me, what if you don't know inadvance when you will die and tomorrow your up?
Old 02-17-2007, 11:46 AM
Step By Step - Day By Day

First thing I would do is clean my house top to bottom and get rid of things I don't need and make sure everything was organized.

Would hate for my kids or husband to have to do all that.

I'd also make sure to make a list of who I wanted to get what in regard to things I was leaving behind.

(surname courtesy of Jim Yohe)
Old 02-17-2007, 12:17 PM
"It's Never Too Late"

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmatthew View Post
Having had the flu the last several days, I got to thinking this morning about death, and thought this might be an interesting thread to place here.

What would you do if you knew you had one month to live, and then you would lay down and "go to sleep". Lets presume for discussions sake that it is Gods timing for your death. No dreaded diseases. You were just going to die in 30 days.

What things would you strive to accomplish? What things in your life would you change?

I wanted to share this with everyone.

You now have 30 days to live!! What are you going to do with each of these days?
My Dad passed away in 1978. He was sick for over a year. He was on a Kidney machine for hours 3 times a week.

On those old very large machines.

There was a payphone just outside the room where he was during the treatments.

My Mom found him day after day on the phone.

She brought him rolls of quarters and nichels.

What was he doing, he was calling everyone he thought he needed to talk with to make things right.

That was a great thing to have in our minds as we look back.

He was willing to help release folks of any ill feelings and clear the path to Eternity and be certain that nothing was left undone.

We all should be doing this in our lives, even if we live another 60 years...
Old 02-17-2007, 12:33 PM
Saved & Shaved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Poster View Post
Lets see....

sky-diving
Rocky Mountain climbing
I'd ride a bull named foomanchu
love deeper
live sweeter
give forgiveness I have been denying

Thats all I can think of now.
that was my answer
Old 02-17-2007, 01:13 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felicity View Post
First thing I would do is clean my house top to bottom and get rid of things I don't need and make sure everything was organized.

Would hate for my kids or husband to have to do all that.

I'd also make sure to make a list of who I wanted to get what in regard to things I was leaving behind.

My dad did this when he first learned he was sick...not with doubt or anything, but just wanted to do it. He laid out the service down to the last song and it made things so easy for us when the time came.

He asked me if I would go in the week after he passed and clean out his closet and things so mom wouldn't have to. I cried like a baby, but she wasn't there to see it and she didn't have to do the job herself.

What would I do?

Get everything in order...throw out some junk papers/files, finish the book I'm working on, make a trip to the north west, speak with or write a letter to each member of my family...it would be a busy 30 days, huh?!