Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 06-09-2018, 07:54 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Re: Uncut Hair and the Nazirite Vow for Women

When Jerome translated the Greek Bible OT and NT he chose the word nutriat, which means to grow. The same as the Spanish which uses crecer as to grow a child, nurture. Same as nutriat.

Mulier vero si comam nutriat gloria est illi quoniam capilli pro velamine ei dati sunt.

The Greek word preposition ἀντί means instead, or opposite, depending its use in a sentence. In γυνὴ δὲ ἐὰν κομᾷ, δόξα αὐτῇ ἐστιν; ὅτι ἡ κόμη ἀντὶ περιβολαίου δέδοται αὐτῇ. Here it is indicating that the hair is instead of the covering.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:03 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tithesmeister View Post
Like EB points out, it is another tradition (of the Mosaic law) for another people, in another time. I personally believe our hair doctrine is based on misinterpretation of the scripture, but maybe that’s just me.
Thanks for your response. Right now I agree with you regarding it as a misinterpretation. It makes me somewhat sad because I don't like change and for almost three decades have worshipped with godly women with long hair (mostly uncut) :-) and I have always appreciated being in community with people, in this case women, who were willing to obey what they believed to be the Word of God regardless of what others in our culture thought about it. I think this attitude has been the source of great blessing for many churches. I have often heard people say God has blessed because of the uncut hair, but I really think it is the spirit of sacrifice and obedience exhibited by these women--if indeed God has blessed it. I haven't attended a church where women openly cut their hair so I can't make a comparison.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:06 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costeon View Post
I agree this wasn't demanded of everyone, but was a special vow taken by some, and I don't think Paul would have expected his Gentile converts to take Nazirite vows, though he himself still took certain vows that required him to cut off his hair at the conclusion of the vow.

What I'm ultimately getting at is that the Nazirite vow seems to indicate that the norm for Israelites was to cut their hair (keeping it shorter for men, keeping it longer for women) and only to refrain from cutting it at all during a Nazirite vow. Otherwise the requirement for uncut hair would have no meaning for females taking the vow. If this is so, then someone who supports the doctrine of uncut hair would have to say that it was somehow a new thing for the New Covenant.

And regarding the guy who went naturally bald, well he would end up with that most hideous of all hairdos: bald on top with his long sides and back tied up in a pony tail. :-)

Nazirites and Apostolics both would flee from the party when wine started flowing. :-)
Well Jesus made fermented wine, so the Apostolics stayed, just didn't drink to gluttony. Hair was cut ever time someone died, while Gentiles not only cut off their hair, but also cut themselves for morning. Judeans and Israelis cut off their hair, ripped out hair male and females. Torn their clothes, threw dirt on themselves, and didn't clean themselves during the time of mourning. Yet, Jesus told them not to look mournful while fasting Matthew 6:16-17. Jesus also explained to the Pharisees that while He was with His followers they wouldn't fast and mourn, but when He would be taken away then they would mourn. John speaks of the Church of a place where weeping and tears would cease, therefore no more need of spiritual sufferings, and mournings. The Nazeerite vow was kept by Paul since he was a Judean, and continued keeping the law as long as the temple stood. He was a Judean to win Judeans, and a Roman to win Romans. James heard that Paul was teaching Diaspora Judeans not to keep Moses' law, or keep rituals. So, James took men who had a vow on them, and instructed Paul to pay for their vows, shave, and mikvah. In this way, he would prove to all the Judean Apostolics in Jerusalem that what was said of Paul was a lie. The Roman converts to Christianity could never keep the Nazarite vow because it would take bringing an offering of hair to the priest. That would require circumcision. Which they were prohibited to do. Therefore the temple was off limits.

Also the bald guy with the ponytail drives a Corvette and is having a midlife crisis.

Last edited by Evang.Benincasa; 06-09-2018 at 08:13 PM.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:10 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evang.Benincasa View Post
Also the bald guy with the ponytail drives a Corvette and is having a midlife crisis.
Lol..

Check out my new Podcast, and YouTube Channel:
https://histruthismarchingon.blubrry.net
This is a One God, Holy Ghost Filled, Tongue Talkin', Jesus Name podcast where it's all in Him!
Apostolic Truth! His Truth Is Marching On!
SUBSCRIBE!
Old 06-09-2018, 08:12 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Thanks for your response. Right now I agree with you regarding it as a misinterpretation. It makes me somewhat sad because I don't like change and for almost three decades have worshipped with godly women with long hair (mostly uncut) :-) and I have always appreciated being in community with people, in this case women, who were willing to obey what they believed to be the Word of God regardless of what others in our culture thought about it. I think this attitude has been the source of great blessing for many churches. I have often heard people say God has blessed because of the uncut hair, but I really think it is the spirit of sacrifice and obedience exhibited by these women--if indeed God has blessed it. I haven't attended a church where women openly cut their hair so I can't make a comparison.
My own personal opinion is that I have met women with long uncut hair who would of outrace Dorthy's tornado on a broom. Hair no matter how uncut can never substitute for being full of the Holy Ghost. While I believe women should have uncut hair, we tend to place too much emphasis on the outside while the inside is filled with rotting corpses.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:12 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
What is hair like women?

Revelation 9:8?

Faces of men is an easy one, and lion's teeth pretty easy.

Hair like women?
Long, of course.

But that doesn't explicitly mean uncut. In our normal everyday lives, it is obvious that if a woman had hair flowing down her back and often trimmed it, nobody would cease recognizing it as long.

There are several verses that indicate that women had long hair (Mary wiping Jesus feet, for example) but that does not prove uncut hair is an absolute requirement. It just doesn't. And if we're going to demand something of women regarding their hair, it seems reasonable that we would base it on several unambiguous passages of Scripture, not on one passage that sincere Bible believers can't seem to agree on.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:16 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Well Jesus made fermented wine, so the Apostolics stayed, just didn't drink to gluttony.
I would like to stay and enjoy it in moderation, but the Apostolics I know would not appreciate my freedom in Christ. :-)

Also the bald guy with the ponytail drives a Corvette and is having a midlife crisis. [/QUOTE]
LOL. Indeed.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:18 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
My own personal opinion is that I have met women with long uncut hair who would of outrace Dorthy's tornado on a broom. Hair no matter how uncut can never substitute for being full of the Holy Ghost. While I believe women should have uncut hair, we tend to place too much emphasis on the outside while the inside is filled with rotting corpses.
Hahaha and amen.

I guess it's easier to focus on the outside rather than the focusing on the much harder work of dealing with the inner man.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:19 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Long, of course.

But that doesn't explicitly mean uncut. In our normal everyday lives, it is obvious that if a woman had hair flowing down her back and often trimmed it, nobody would cease recognizing it as long.

There are several verses that indicate that women had long hair (Mary wiping Jesus feet, for example) but that does not prove uncut hair is an absolute requirement. It just doesn't. And if we're going to demand something of women regarding their hair, it seems reasonable that we would base it on several unambiguous passages of Scripture, not on one passage that sincere Bible believers can't seem to agree on.
Then you have no measurement of length, what is long? This wasn't their understanding for centuries, because of the language. Like I pointed out in Latin. It is mainly translated nutriat because of the Greek. The Spanish is way more defined than English. Because we don't know what long is? Unless we are given a measurement of length. It is a shame for a man to have long hair? How long is long hair? Ponytail on the bald guy driving the Corvette?
Old 06-09-2018, 08:23 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Hahaha and amen.

I guess it's easier to focus on the outside rather than the focusing on the much harder work of dealing with the inner man.
Who we are in the dark behind locked doors is the real us. An everyday citizen will kill more people in his mind, then John Wayne Gacy did physically. That is our true worship to Jesus, when no one can hear us, no one can see us, what goes on in our minds. Does it please Him, or disgust Him?