Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 05-25-2020, 09:59 PM
Registered Member

Modern music in churches today

I love the Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir type music, etc.
I notice in UPC churches today the Hillsong type music and performance is a norm and I truly detest it. It's a dealbreaker for me. I truly hope this music trend dies out.
The last church I regularly attended was a small PAW church for about 5 years. There was none of the stage stuff and screen with the shallow Hillsong style music, just good ol' worship music.
When I attended UPC churches several years ago it was mainly choir music, just good powerful Pentecostal worship music which I love. I'm sure everyone's seen Bro. Spell's services since he and his church have become infamous on the news. I like their music style, definitely no Hillsong stuff there.

I visited a church last Sunday and I basically had to sit and grit my teeth and bear the Hillsong music style I detest, which is always seemingly accompanied by that nauseatingly annoying sing songy "talk" the worship leader does, a la Hillsong style. It's basically like fingernails on a chalkboard for me. I had to repent and tell God sorry, but I just couldn't deal with it. Won't be back for sure.

What has happened to the music in UPC churches?? ��

Last edited by lily; 05-25-2020 at 10:30 PM.
Old 05-26-2020, 05:03 AM
Registered Member

Re: Modern music in churches today

I havent seen Bro Spells services. Do you have a link?
Old 05-26-2020, 07:08 AM
Registered Member

"Hillsong" music is a very broad term isnt it? For instance some equate Hillsong music with "Charismatic" music. Between the two of these there is a lot of really great music tho they are not actually the same thing.

At the same time there is far more "filler" music between the two than the great music. And yet thats the same in any kind of music.

And then there is a difference between the modern K LOVE type music and what you are calling "Hillsong" music. For the most part I cant listen long to K LOVE.

There is music that is "about" Jesus. Then there is music that is "to" Jesus. Both are very good but theres always songs that are MORE rich in quality than others.

Quote:
There was none of the stage stuff and screen with the shallow Hillsong style music, just good ol' worship music.
Can you post a link or two of examples of what would be deep good old worship?
Old 05-26-2020, 08:31 AM
J.esus i.s t.he o.ne God (463)

Hillsongs has a few songs I like, but they're not usually my favorite. For me, in order for it to be called Christian music, the central focus of the song must be God. It can be about anything, but the focus must go where it belongs. The greatest contrasting example I ever encountered occurred many years back (late 90's/early 00's), when there were two very similar, but drastically different approaches to basically the same concept.

Phillips, Craig & Dean had a song titled "I want to be just like You". It was describing a father's relationship with his son, while focusing on how he (the father) wants to be like God, because his son wants to be like him. The song may have been about the father/son relationship, but the focus was on God.

Quote:
Lord, I want to be just like You
'Cause he wants to be just like me
I want to be a holy example
For his innocent eyes to see
Help me be a living Bible, Lord
That my little boy can read
I want to be just like You
'Cause he wants to be like me
Around the same time, several of the "Christian" music stations were playing a song called "Butterfly kisses". The song was about a father/daughter relationship, so in many respects similar to the PCD song. However, that's about where the similarities end.

While the PCD song made God the central focus, this one was strictly about his daughter. In fact, the closest he came to even mentioning God, was in talking about "bedtime prayers" in the chorus, and at one point stating that he "thank(s) God above" for his daughter.

Frankly, if they'd replaced that line with "thank my lucky stars above", no one would have noticed. Similarly, they could have replaced "bedtime prayers" with any number of other activities, and it wouldn't have changed the song one iota. It literally didn't give any glory to God, at best it made passing reference to Him. I always hated when that song came on the radio.

It's not to say that there was anything inherently wrong about it, just that it didn't put the focus where it deserved to be, which is on God.

For as long as I can remember, I've been laser focused on the lyrics of songs, and whether they give glory to God or not. The music I can take or leave (even speaking as a drummer), but it's the lyrics that make or a break a song for me, to the point where I'll switch stations on the radio if I can't be certain of their intent. It's why my own songs have been carefully rechecked by me, to ensure that the focus is where it should be.

So far as I'm concerned, if the lyrics don't give glory where it's due, then it's not Christian music.
Sometimes hidden dangers spring on us suddenly. Those are out of our control. But when one can see the danger, and then refuses to arrest , all in the name of "God is in control", they are forfeiting God given, preventive opportunities.
Old 05-26-2020, 09:27 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Hillsongs has a few songs I like, but they're not usually my favorite. For me, in order for it to be called Christian music, the central focus of the song must be God.
Same here. IMO some of the greatest praise songs are by Hillsong. Then many others dont do much for me. Im not aware of any of their songs that are not focused on God.
Old 05-26-2020, 12:15 PM
Registered Member

What I see is that the modern songs have a strong melo point to it, to call for a reflective or “deep emotional” worship in people.
It could be the influence of the charismatic movement.
You could see in the lyrics expressions like being close to God to hear his heartbeat. In other words, it is very emotional, sentimental, and melo.

The other issue I see is the lyrics and the complexity of their singing are made mainly to be listened to, not to worship in a congregation setting, so it makes it hard to follow by the congregation.

Last but not least, the complexity of the instruments part in modern composition itself makes it hard for people to worship unison. The excessively elaborated instrumental melodies are there to be listened to, and watch the great art of the performer and enjoy it, but it is distracting in a congregation setting.

I am not saying that those are problems in every single song, or even that they are necessarily wrong. I am simply pointing out trends that may be quite annoying to some. I honestly don’t like it either. I can’t wait for this fashion to go away.

Last edited by coksiw; 05-26-2020 at 12:17 PM.
Old 05-26-2020, 10:13 PM
Registered Member

Something in the music has changed over the years. I remember when christian music wasnt popular in secular businesses. Now it is common to hear it played in convenient stores, dollar general etc. What changed? The lines that used to separate christianity from sin have become so blurred that people are not able to discern the body of Christ. Things that shouldnt be are counted as in the body. I remember a time when sinners didnt listen to gospel music. I always thought it very telling when the interest of sinners and saints are the same, and im not talking about repentant sinners.
Old 05-27-2020, 04:44 AM
New User

The only place I’ve heard Christian music played is in Chick-fil-A. And it was music- no lyrics.
Old 05-27-2020, 04:49 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by james34 View Post
Something in the music has changed over the years. I remember when christian music wasnt popular in secular businesses. Now it is common to hear it played in convenient stores, dollar general etc. What changed? The lines that used to separate christianity from sin have become so blurred that people are not able to discern the body of Christ. Things that shouldnt be are counted as in the body. I remember a time when sinners didnt listen to gospel music. I always thought it very telling when the interest of sinners and saints are the same, and im not talking about repentant sinners.
Well 2 things could be in play.

More business owners are Christians? Therefore they play it in their stores as a witness to the customers and they know the believers would rather hear it. After all you very rarely see Christians witnessing to the public. It it were not for Christian music most sinners would never hear anything about God or Jesus.

Secular music has gotten so bad both musically and in lyrics that sinners are looking for something that sounds better?

Personally I never hear Hillsong/Charismatic music playing in a business. If at all it is K LOVE style.
Old 05-27-2020, 04:59 AM
Registered Member

A couple of problems are missed.

Sing-songy carnival style backdrop music during an alter call. You can almost see the ferris wheel.

Carnal music.
Back-beat (ghetto) music with sort of Christian lyrics.If I hit it, I walk out, quickly.

And I don't know enough Hillsong and K Love, but there are many lyrics that exalt the singers .. "yes, I love you so much, Jesus, my (our) love is super-amazing"

repetitive, short ditty, choruses that go nowhere in terms of our relationship to Jesus.

Anything that exalts the dark-side name "yahweh". At Homestead Heritage they swapped away the majestic and sonorous name Jehovah, and put in the creepsta. This can pop up in any place that is not truly an Authorized Version (KJB) church. If your church has been moving that way, please consider carefully. You are inviting in a non-Christian entity.

Thanks!

Last edited by Steven Avery; 05-27-2020 at 05:04 AM.