Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 01-06-2014, 08:07 AM
God's Son

Re: Hard Hitting Praise Tonight Misty Edwards

I'm with you on this one. I have a Misty Edwards collection I used during my devotion.

N David may not be aware that many concepts of "new age" philosophy comes from scripture. The best definition of new age philosophy is christianity without Christ. Many new age concepts are found in the Bible. As with most Biblical concepts, new age philosophy bastardizes christian concepts.

I don't understand why people are afraid to reclaim christian concepts from pagans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael The Disciple View Post
Did you listen to the teaching video I posted by Misty? Do you think it was new age? She said more in about 6 min of value that 98% of the sermons I ever heard.

Now if I ever meet someone who is somehow being new age about ANYTHING believe me I will tell them about it.

Think like this. A great majority of kids come to IHOP because they are SEARCHING for more than they have. Lutherans, Baptists, Catholics even some Pentecostals.

And MOST OF THEM actually find more of Jesus than they had before. This is what so many don't get. Is someone moving forward when they go to another Church?

I wish everyone would all go to Churches that teach nothing but truth. But its exciting to me.....God is moving in someones life when they are moving forward. That's called a move of God.

Anytime we are getting more light than we had we are being led by the Spirit.

Is the Spirit leading thousands of young people out of dead Churches and off the streets to IHOP? I absolutely believe so! Then after they continue to seek him he can lead them out of IHOP and into a real Apostolic New Testament Church.

Can the Spirit lead people out of todays mostly error ridden Apostolic Churches into something more like Jesus? Sure but we do as you said have to be open.

Legalism has no pity on people. Legalism makes my opinion your burden, makes opinion your boundary, makes my opinion your obligation-Lucado

Some get spiritual because they see the light. Others because they feel the heat.Ray Wylie Hubbard

Definition of legalism- Damned if you do. Damned if you don't. TV
Old 01-06-2014, 08:15 AM
God's Son

Contemplative prayer is throughout the Bible. King David was known for Contemplative prayer. Meditation is Biblical.

Legalism has no pity on people. Legalism makes my opinion your burden, makes opinion your boundary, makes my opinion your obligation-Lucado

Some get spiritual because they see the light. Others because they feel the heat.Ray Wylie Hubbard

Old 01-06-2014, 08:17 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv1a View Post
I'm with you on this one. I have a Misty Edwards collection I used during my devotion.

N David may not be aware that many concepts of "new age" philosophy comes from scripture. The best definition of new age philosophy is christianity without Christ. Many new age concepts are found in the Bible. As with most Biblical concepts, new age philosophy bastardizes christian concepts.

I don't understand why people are afraid to reclaim christian concepts from pagans.
You're funny bro. The Bible also talks of paganism. Should we be trying to "reclaim" paganism?

IHOPKC is a dangerous cult, and Bickle and Misty Edwards are the leaders.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:19 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv1a View Post
Contemplative prayer is throughout the Bible. King David was known for Contemplative prayer. Meditation is Biblical.
You're wrong. What IHOPKC and Catholic mysticism call contemplative prayer/centering prayer, etc is NOT Biblical. It was NOT practiced in the Bible.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:21 AM
Registered Member

If you believe contemplative/centering prayer is Biblical, then you haven't a clue what contemplative/centering prayer really is.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:56 AM
Registered Member

A well-written and documented article on Contemplative/Centering Prayer:

Source Link
Old 01-06-2014, 09:43 AM
God's Son

Contemplative prayer is Biblical.

3 great sources.

Seeing is Believing by Greg Boyd.
Creative Prayer by Chris Tiegreen
Greg Boyd also has video

http://whchurch.org/sermons-media/se...agining-prayer

Boyd's did a series called animate, which in leaves no doubt contemplative prayer is biblical.

http://whchurch.org/blog/1369/what-a-surprise

QUOTE=n david;1295731]If you believe contemplative/centering prayer is Biblical, then you haven't a clue what contemplative/centering prayer really is.[/QUOTE]

Old 01-06-2014, 09:46 AM
God's Son

A matter of misguided opinion not based on fact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by n david View Post
You're wrong. What IHOPKC and Catholic mysticism call contemplative prayer/centering prayer, etc is NOT Biblical. It was NOT practiced in the Bible.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:47 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by n david View Post
If you believe contemplative/centering prayer is Biblical, then you haven't a clue what contemplative/centering prayer really is.
What do you think it is? I'm curious to know.

"To see no being, not God’s or any, but you also go thither,
To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—
abstracting the feast, yet not abstracting one particle of it;…."

--Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, Song of the Open Road
Old 01-06-2014, 09:50 AM
Temporary Occupant of Earth

Greg Boyd. Now that's a real hoot for a source! Unbelievable!

Do Not Argue With Idiots, they will just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.