Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Foyer > The Information Station
Facebook

Notices

The Information Station A help forum with answers to frequently asked questions - includes our Forum Rules and updates or announcements from the Admin Team.

Old 04-23-2019, 09:44 AM
Registered Member

Lightbulb I would like to speak with new tongues

Please forgive my simplistic questions. Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Are all workers of miracles? Do all have gifts of healings? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret?
Old 04-23-2019, 11:17 PM
Registered Member

Re: I would like to speak with new tongues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zog Has-fallen View Post
Please forgive my simplistic questions. Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Are all workers of miracles? Do all have gifts of healings? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret?
The answer is obviously no... however this is not referring to the baptism of the Holy Ghost but to “ gifts “.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:05 PM
Registered Member

You want to speak in tongues. Good. Have you asked Jesus to baptize you in the Holy Ghost? If you did and have not received the Spirit go to an "Apostolic" or "Oneness Pentecostal Church".

They will baptize you into the name of Jesus and pray over you to receive. Many have received the Holy Ghost with tongues following in this manner.
Old 04-24-2019, 04:27 PM
Registered Member

I'm assuming that you're new to the Apostolic way, and therefore have a mind that's clouded with many questions that desperately warrant answers. If you've come out of another faith, I'm sure these questions are more severe because there has been a challenge placed on what you have been taught or believed personally prior to this conversion.

To clarify your opening statement, you may be personally seeking to speak with other tongues, but what you're actually seeking is the baptism with the Holy Ghost. The Holy Ghost was initially given to a group of believers at Pentecost, as detailed in the Book of Acts. They tarried for this gift that had been promised to them; then came a sound from Heaven, as a rushing mighty wind, and cloven tongues as like fire fell upon them (Acts 2:1-4).

In short, when you're filled with the Holy Ghost you will speak in other tongues.

In every instance throughout Scripture that a Christian was filled with the Holy Ghost, they spoke in other tongues as given the utterance to do so by the Holy Ghost. Understanding the baptism with the Holy Ghost isn't always an easy one to comprehend, especially if you're a newcomer to Apostolic doctrine, and if you're going about obtaining knowledge in perhaps the wrong manner.

I would suggest that, if you're a part of an Apostolic congregation, that you discuss these issues with your Pastor. He (maybe she, or perhaps they) should be more than eager to answers your questions with Bible to support what they're telling you.

Be encouraged friend.
I believe in the baptism of the Holy Ghost, evidenced by speaking in tongues as the Spirit gives utterance.
I believe in living a holiness lifestyle, inwardly and outwardly, without which no man shall see the Lord.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:06 PM
Registered Member

Acts 2:5-11
Now there were dwelling in Jerusalem Jews, devout men from every nation under heaven. And at this sound the multitude came together, and they were bewildered, because each one was hearing them speak in his own language. And they were amazed and astonished, saying, “Are not all these who are speaking Galileans? And how is it that we hear, each of us in his own native language? Parthians and Medes and Elamites and residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya belonging to Cyrene, and visitors from Rome, both Jews and proselytes, Cretans and Arabians—we hear them telling in our own tongues the mighty works of God.”

I have many Chinese friends that have known me for many years. They know that I don't speak Chinese. If I could suddenly be fluent in Chinese by the power of God, they would be in awe of the miracle and believe in God's power.

1 Corinthians 14:6
Now, brothers, if I come to you speaking in tongues, how will I benefit you unless I bring you some revelation or knowledge or prophecy or teaching?

On the positive side, I do have revelation, knowledge, prophecy and teaching to share; but I want to communicate with unbelievers in their own language. Wouldn't that make me a true, full-spectrum Apostolic believer?

1 Corinthians 14:22
Thus tongues are a sign not for believers but for unbelievers, while prophecy is a sign not for unbelievers but for believers.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:31 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Now there were dwelling in Jerusalem Jews, devout men from every nation under heaven. And at this sound the multitude came together, and they were bewildered, because each one was hearing them speak in his own language. And they were amazed and astonished, saying, “Are not all these who are speaking Galileans? And how is it that we hear, each of us in his own native language? Parthians and Medes and Elamites and residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya belonging to Cyrene, and visitors from Rome, both Jews and proselytes, Cretans and Arabians—we hear them telling in our own tongues the mighty works of God.”

I have many Chinese friends that have known me for many years. They know that I don't speak Chinese. If I could suddenly be fluent in Chinese by the power of God, they would be in awe of the miracle and believe in God's power.

Now, brothers, if I come to you speaking in tongues, how will I benefit you unless I bring you some revelation or knowledge or prophecy or teaching?

On the positive side, I do have revelation, knowledge, prophecy and teaching to share; but I want to communicate with unbelievers in their own language. Wouldn't that make me a true, full-spectrum Apostolic believer?

Thus tongues are a sign not for believers but for unbelievers, while prophecy is a sign not for unbelievers but for believers.
You are quoting to different things here. Paul is not dealing with the gift of the Holy Ghost in Corinthians.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:14 AM
Registered Member

Quote:

1 Corinthians 14:5
Now I want you all to speak in tongues, but even more to prophesy. The one who prophesies is greater than the one who speaks in tongues, unless someone interprets, so that the church may be built up.

All these Scriptures seem related to the gift of tongues.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:20 AM
Registered Member

I don’t have much time this morning, but wanted to briefly post that since Acts 11:15 (explanation of what just happened in Acts 10) draws a parallel to Acts 2, then Acts 10 must certainly be considered along side of Acts 2, as “the like gift”, whatever exactly is meant by that...

Last edited by JamesGlen; 04-25-2019 at 07:58 AM.
Old 04-25-2019, 03:28 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

ZOG Has Fallen?

Interesting...

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 04-26-2019, 06:32 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
ZOG Has Fallen?

Interesting...
Zion OF God?