Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-07-2015, 11:04 PM
Esaias's Avatar
Esaias Esaias is offline
Master ThreadKiller


 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Zion aka TEXAS
Posts: 20,659
Awesome quote by Calvin

Yes, I know his history and whatnot. But, I cannot but help love one of the opening lines from his Institutes of the Christian Religion:

With regard to the former head, viz., the knowledge of God, it is shown, in the first place, what the kind of knowledge is which God requires, Chap. 2. And, in the second place (Chap. 3-9), where this knowledge must be sought, namely, not in man: because, although naturally implanted in the human mind, it is stifled, partly by ignorance, partly by evil intent, Chap. 3 and 4; not in the frame of the world: because, although it shines most clearly there, we are so stupid that these manifestations, however perspicuous, pass away without any beneficial result,

__________________
Visit the Apostolic House Church YouTube Channel!

Instead of google, use www.yandex.com


Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - http://www.robertwr.com/

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-07-2015, 11:38 PM
FlamingZword's Avatar
FlamingZword FlamingZword is offline
Yeshua is God


 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 4,158
Re: Awesome quote by Calvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
Yes, I know his history and whatnot. But, I cannot but help love one of the opening lines from his Institutes of the Christian Religion:

With regard to the former head, viz., the knowledge of God, it is shown, in the first place, what the kind of knowledge is which God requires, Chap. 2. And, in the second place (Chap. 3-9), where this knowledge must be sought, namely, not in man: because, although naturally implanted in the human mind, it is stifled, partly by ignorance, partly by evil intent, Chap. 3 and 4; not in the frame of the world: because, although it shines most clearly there, we are so stupid that these manifestations, however perspicuous, pass away without any beneficial result,

Many of the most evil Popes have awesome quotes, Should we start quoting the Popes?
"You brood of vipers, how can you who are evil say anything good? For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of." Mat 12:34
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-07-2015, 11:46 PM
Esaias's Avatar
Esaias Esaias is offline
Master ThreadKiller


 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Zion aka TEXAS
Posts: 20,659
Re: Awesome quote by Calvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingZword View Post
Many of the most evil Popes have awesome quotes, Should we start quoting the Popes?
"You brood of vipers, how can you who are evil say anything good? For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of." Mat 12:34
Is the statement by Calvin false? Truth is truth regardless who speaks it. The whole Creation declares the glory of God, but mankind is TOO STUPID TO SEE IT. A most concise way of putting it, if you ask me.
__________________
Visit the Apostolic House Church YouTube Channel!

Instead of google, use www.yandex.com


Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - http://www.robertwr.com/

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-08-2015, 06:29 AM
Jermyn Davidson's Avatar
Jermyn Davidson Jermyn Davidson is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: In His Hands
Posts: 13,911
Re: Awesome quote by Calvin

Calvin, Calvin he's our man!
If he can't do it....... he'll watch someone who can!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/c...a-monster.html


The end of this article makes me think that maybe Calvin's ministry played a role in 21st century Oneness Pentecostalism.
__________________
"The choices we make reveal the true nature of our character."
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-08-2015, 07:13 AM
houston houston is offline
Isaiah 56:4-5


 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SOUTH ZION
Posts: 11,307
Re: Awesome quote by Calvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
Yes, I know his history and whatnot.
What do you know of his history?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-08-2015, 09:42 AM
Esaias's Avatar
Esaias Esaias is offline
Master ThreadKiller


 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Zion aka TEXAS
Posts: 20,659
Re: Awesome quote by Calvin

I guess you guys don't read much beyond the Sunday comix?
__________________
Visit the Apostolic House Church YouTube Channel!

Instead of google, use www.yandex.com


Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - http://www.robertwr.com/

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-08-2015, 01:03 PM
Ron's Avatar
Ron Ron is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 12,925
Re: Awesome quote by Calvin

Calvin is responsible for one of the most damnable doctrines of ours or any day--OSAS or eternal security.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-08-2015, 01:10 PM
navygoat1998's Avatar
navygoat1998 navygoat1998 is offline
Repent and believe the Gospel!


 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Jacksonville FL
Posts: 3,047
Re: Awesome quote by Calvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Calvin is responsible for one of the most damnable doctrines of ours or any day--OSAS or eternal security.
I agree, but if not for God using him we might still be speaking Latin in church.
__________________
Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand. (Romans 14:4)

Scripture is its own interpreter. Nothing can cut a diamond but a diamond. Nothing can interpret Scripture but Scripture" Thomas Watson.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-08-2015, 01:36 PM
houston houston is offline
Isaiah 56:4-5


 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SOUTH ZION
Posts: 11,307
Re: Awesome quote by Calvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Calvin is responsible for one of the most damnable doctrines of ours or any day--OSAS or eternal security.
"I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand." -Jesus
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-08-2015, 02:05 PM
Ron's Avatar
Ron Ron is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 12,925
Re: Awesome quote by Calvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post
"I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand." -Jesus
He that endureth to the end, the same shall be saved.--Jesus

BTW, no one can snatch them out of his hand is correct & true, the only ones that can take us away from Jesus is our own will!

No eternal security without some effort on our part to stay in the Church!

Look up the slaughter in Rwanda, there were "Christians" committing some of the killings, because they felt that their was nothing that could "affect" our salvation.

Thanks John Calvin.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ron Paul, super awesome or just awesome? Twisp Political Talk 10 03-18-2011 05:01 PM
Theology in Animation : Servetus and Calvin JN Anderson Café Blog-a-bit 5 10-30-2010 11:42 AM
Calvin's 500th birthday deltaguitar Fellowship Hall 39 07-11-2009 03:03 PM

 
User Infomation
Your Avatar

Latest Threads
- by Amanah
- by n david

Help Support AFF!

Advertisement




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.