Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Newsroom > Political Talk
Facebook

Notices

Political Talk Political News

Old 03-04-2013, 10:07 AM
Not riding the train

“In the real world we were kidding ourselves”

I agree with Jeb Bush in a recent interview with Matt Lauer - “Gov. Romney put himself in a box, I think, in the primary by trying to out(-conservative) conservatives, some very good conservative candidates, and never really recovered from it,” Bush said."

Newt is always articulate. Always good to hear from him.

Quote:

“In the real world we were kidding ourselves”

Newt Gingrich talks to Salon about why he and his party were so wrong about the election and the future of the GOP

The first thing you have to do with African Americans, Latinos, and Asian-Americans and Native Americans is go there. They don’t need to come to you; you need to go to them. And when you go there, listen. Phase one is not going there to tell about you. Why is it we can have entire cities that are disasters, that we can have 500 people getting killed in Chicago, we can have Detroit collapsing, we can have the highest black unemployment teenage in modern history, and no Republican politician can figure out that going there to say, “Gee, shouldn’t we do something to make this better”? And then talk about it jointly, so it becomes a joint product — that it’s not “Let me re-explain conservatism.” I don’t mean to walk away from conservatism, but we need to understand conservatism in the context of people who are talking with us.

http://www.salon.com/2013/03/03/in_t...ing_ourselves/
Old 03-04-2013, 10:19 AM
Not riding the train

Re: “In the real world we were kidding ourselves”

This quote I referenced from Newt's interview also shows how Romney's 47% remark hurt him. Romney said he didn't need to worry about that group of people, because they wouldn't vote for him anyway. That clearly showed that Romney had no message and no real solutions.

Newt wanted to go to the 47% and offer solutions. Romney and the GOP just wanted to win the election. You have to have a message to win. You have to win the debate to win an election.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:50 AM
Pride of the Neighborhood

The GOP has find a way to communicate conservatism in a way that elicits REAL hope into people. I think Jack Kemp had good ideas with his "Enterprise Zones" in which inner city neighborhoods would be granted special tax breaks and given incentives to get urban folks the motivation to start businesses in depressed areas. A private sector job, gainful employment, safer neighborhoods, an opportunity to purchase a home, being responsible, teaching job skills and personal financial management are some things riddled with conservative ideals.

I sat on a city bus a week ago. I was one of two whites on the bus. The bus was full of able bodies men and women, mostly African American. The bus terminal where I had to make a transfer was full of African Americans. I thought to myself, "how do these people make a living? How do they pay for these bus fares? Being that it was 9:00-10:00am I wondered how many on the bus and at the terminal were employed. Somehow there has to be a change in culture, a way to communicate, a way to convey the idea that the key to a better life, more security, REAL hope is to be personally responsible, not living for a government check.

The GOP would be wise to set a goal of siphoning 15-20% of the AA vote from the Democrat Party. One way to start is to get successful AAs who embrace conservatism to be at the forefront of the effort to reach new generations of AAs as well as outreaches to Latinos and address their concerns.

I believe true conservatism is the only way to make America great. Somehow we have to find ways to convince people that it is in their self interest to follow it's tenets.

‎When a newspaper posed the question, "What's Wrong with the World?" G. K. Chesterton reputedly wrote a brief letter in response: "Dear Sirs: I am. Sincerely Yours, G. K. Chesterton." That is the attitude of someone who has grasped the message of Jesus.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:16 PM
Not riding the train

I agree with what you have written, Deacon. I feel the only way can make people see that Conservatism is the best tenet to live by, is going to begin with Education, which the public schools do not employ.

Culturally Hispanics are some of the most conservative people out there. But, the messages they get aren't real.

The left tells them that we hate them, and accuses us of pandering when we try to tell them we don't.

They also present entitlement programs as something they're supposed to sign up for. Even advertising them in Mexico. They're all over Spanish TV and radio with their propaganda, and our presence is basically nill.

This is why liberal agendas support language barriers by forcing education in their language instead of encouraging ours. Keeping them confused and giving them just enough keeps them as a permanent underclass equaling Dem votes.

And that's just what they do to Hispanics... Don't get me started on the identity of "the man" keeping blacks down!