Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 04-22-2014, 04:03 PM
Registered Member

St. Louis Area Churches

I will be relocating to the St. Louis area for a few months to take a job. I have done some research online into Apostolic churches in the area but would like any personal experiences/opinions that the community could provide. Please, if you have it, include info about the size, denomination (or lack thereof), liberal/moderate/conservative/UC persuasion, etc.

Thanks!
Old 04-23-2014, 11:30 AM
Banned

Re: St. Louis Area Churches

The UPCI has the market cornered in St. Louis.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:25 PM
Registered Saint

Hello,

I live in the Stl area.

I attended The Sanctuary for awhile with family members. It is a UPCI church but I can not remember them preaching the standards. You will see some women with real long hair and the majority wear skirts or dresses. But a couple of times I saw women attend in pantsuits and everybody still treated them with respect and love. Nobody called them out or made an issue of it. Plus it is a racially mixed congregation of 60% to 65% white. The pastor has a very kind humble spirit. If I was looking to attend a UPCI church this is the one I would go to. This church is near Hazelwood.

http://thesanctuaryupc.com/

The church that I have visited a few times which is the one I will go back to eventually is Crosspoint church (I have issues I am dealing with it is a long story please nobody ask). Crosspoint is a independent church in South County. It does not preach the standards. Women have different hair lengths and attend in dresses or pants. It is not out of place to see men to show up in suits or jeans and a t-shirt. From what I know they have a one stepper view of salvation. But the pastor is a loving genuine man of God (I do not say that lightly).

http://www.thecrosspoint.com/

So depending on where you are moving to there are two churches that I can recommend. The deciding factor is the kind of church you are looking for.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:04 PM
Registered Member

Disciple,

Thank you for the information. I saw The Sanctuary and was planning on visiting there. I also saw a few others: Apostolic Pentecostal Church, New Life Center, and Solid Rock Ministries. Would you happen to know anything about those? Thanks again for your help.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:26 PM
Registered Saint

Solid Rock Ministries
I have never been to this church, but I went to school with someone who went to this church. Plus I have family that has visited this church several times. Only thing I know is that it is a typical UPCI church for this area. Oh and they play their music on 11. Bring your earplugs (but an older couple told me this). I would definitely visit them. I have known many people who that have went their and loved it.

New Life Center
One time the Sanctuary was closed (I don't know maybe it snowed or somthing) so relatives said there was another church they sometimes attend. We showed up here. Nice church, friendly people, good preaching from what I remember. Sorry I only went once.

Apostolic Pentecostal Church
Never been but I have driven by this church many times. They keep their grass cut, that's all I know.

So in closing you probably don't know any more than if you had just skipped this post. But the top two churches I can vouch for nothing crazy happened. So they should be safe to visit and they are possible contenders for a regular church.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:55 PM
Registered Member

Thank you for your help.

Anyone else have an opinion?
Old 04-23-2014, 09:20 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disciple4life View Post
I attended The Sanctuary for awhile with family members. It is a UPCI church but I can not remember them preaching the standards. You will see some women with real long hair and the majority wear skirts or dresses. But a couple of times I saw women attend in pantsuits and everybody still treated them with respect and love. Nobody called them out or made an issue of it. Plus it is a racially mixed congregation of 60% to 65% white. The pastor has a very kind humble spirit. If I was looking to attend a UPCI church this is the one I would go to. This church is near Hazelwood.

http://thesanctuaryupc.com/
Bro. Graham taught one of my classes at Bible School. He's also preached at a youth camp and district conference I attended. Great preacher. I haven't visited The Sanctuary , but have heard several positive comments about it from friends who have visited.

Quote:
Solid Rock Ministries
I have never been to this church, but I went to school with someone who went to this church. Plus I have family that has visited this church several times. Only thing I know is that it is a typical UPCI church for this area. Oh and they play their music on 11. Bring your earplugs (but an older couple told me this). I would definitely visit them. I have known many people who that have went their and loved it.
I LOVE SRM! I visited the old location back in the early 90s and man, oh man, what a service! Packed out the door and yes, they're loud! If you want a quiet service or laid back, timed service where people golf clap and sit in their seats, don't go to SRM.

I went on vacation about a decade ago and spent 2 weeks with them at their new location. The youth group was awesome; and in the services I was in, from the beginning to the end, the people worshipped God. From the young to the elderly, they all love to worship God.

SRM left the UPC in the early 2000s and last I knew are still independent pentecostal.

I've told my wife that if we move anywhere, it will be to St. Louis, near SRM.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:28 AM
I remain the Petulant Chevalier

isnt the C from Phillips Craig and Dean (PCD) a pastor of a Oneness 1 stepper nonstandards church in StLouis?
Old 04-24-2014, 01:43 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
isnt the C from Phillips Craig and Dean (PCD) a pastor of a Oneness 1 stepper nonstandards church in StLouis?
I believe that's Crosspoint
Old 04-24-2014, 01:44 PM
Registered Saint

Quote:
The church that I have visited a few times which is the one I will go back to eventually is Crosspoint church (I have issues I am dealing with it is a long story please nobody ask). Crosspoint is a independent church in South County. It does not preach the standards. Women have different hair lengths and attend in dresses or pants. It is not out of place to see men to show up in suits or jeans and a t-shirt. From what I know they have a one stepper view of salvation. But the pastor is a loving genuine man of God (I do not say that lightly).

http://www.thecrosspoint.com/
Yeah Ferd , that is at Crosspoint.