Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 02-18-2012, 07:47 AM
Administrator

The New Normal - A Child Out of Wedlock

"Marriage has become a luxury good" socialologist says. Below is a link to a New York Times article about how the new normal is for children to be born out of wedlock.

I think it is clear that the breakdown of traditional societal norms has been accelerating at an incredible rate the last 20 years. This is just one more confirmation.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46438194.../#.Tz-5ZPFQ6Ag
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"
Old 02-18-2012, 07:55 AM
Holiness Is Still Right.

Re: The New Normal - A Child Out of Wedlock

It's absolutely frightening. To say the least. What type of future are we presenting to this generation of children born with no respect for the institution of marriage and no real concept of what it truly is? This is why public opinion of "gay marriage" is leaning a certain way, becuase this generation has no regard for the institution of marriage... and why would they?
Old 02-18-2012, 08:24 AM
Registered Member

And a lot times we got to pick up the tab.
And someday master you. --Anon.

The most deadly sins do not leap upon us, they creep up on us.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:45 AM
Banned

Hard to see sometimes that wheat is growing also, in the tares. We can't pull tares--well, you can try--we are called to grow wheat.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:28 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyrd009 View Post
Hard to see sometimes that wheat is growing also, in the tares. We can't pull tares--well, you can try--we are called to grow wheat.
I'm not getting what your getting at????
And someday master you. --Anon.

The most deadly sins do not leap upon us, they creep up on us.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:54 AM

I think that he getting at that rather than try to conform the world to our way of thinking and doing it by force we should be growing the kingdom (sorry byrd if I missed).

There are godly people out there doing the right thing... they may seem few but they have the potential to multiply.

We often try to legislate behavior, in example: refusing same sex marriage to gay couples or insisting that people get married if they are going to have children... But what we are missing is that without the spirit there is no reason they SHOULD be wanting to do the right thing. Our job is not to conform the lost to our way of thinking/acting/being but to help them know the God that will change their hearts/minds/lives.

The only way we will see a world that looks like the Kingdom is to expand the Kingdom, one soul at a time
Old 02-18-2012, 10:04 AM
Banned

The church has failed to really impact society. It's become a business. We need a Revival. No,...a Reformation. My prayer is for this prophecy to come true in our lifetimes,
"The earth will be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the LORD, as the waters cover the sea." Habakkuk 2:14 (NKJV)

Last edited by Aquila; 02-18-2012 at 10:11 AM.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:06 AM

Last edited by Titus2woman; 02-18-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:08 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus2woman View Post
I think that he getting at that rather than try to conform the world to our way of thinking and doing it by force we should be growing the kingdom (sorry byrd if I missed).

There are godly people out there doing the right thing... they may seem few but they have the potential to multiply.

We often try to legislate behavior, in example: refusing same sex marriage to gay couples or insisting that people get married if they are going to have children... But what we are missing is that without the spirit there is no reason they SHOULD be wanting to do the right thing. Our job is not to conform the lost to our way of thinking/acting/being but to help them know the God that will change their hearts/minds/lives.

The only way we will see a world that looks like the Kingdom is to expand the Kingdom, one soul at a time

That's why I'm not a big fan of Christians being political activists. While I do believe that we should do our best to protect society as a whole from impinging evils, legislating righteousness will not actually bring about righteousness, and often has the opposite effect. People who try to impose righteousness upon themselves without the spirit of God are fighting a losing battle with their own humanity.

Far too often, the Christian who involves himself deeply in politics becomes Peter with a maiming sword rather than a positive, persuasive voice in a dark world.

"To see no being, not God’s or any, but you also go thither,
To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—
abstracting the feast, yet not abstracting one particle of it;…."

--Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, Song of the Open Road
Old 02-18-2012, 10:26 AM
Banned

Behold the glory of the LORD,
Psalm 22:27-28 ESV
All the ends of the earth shall remember
and turn to the Lord,
and all the families of the nations
shall worship before you.
For kingship belongs to the Lord,
and he rules over the nations.
Sometimes our vision and eschatology is so bleak and negative, it leaves us hopeless for such a revival.