Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Homestead > Chef's Corner
Facebook

Notices

Chef's Corner Every Cook's favorite place! Post your recipes, share your cooking tips and ideas, etc.

Old 12-18-2009, 07:51 AM
Registered Member

Re: Holiday Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri View Post
I just made good old Southern Cornbread dressing tonight to put in the freezer. I didn't bake it, but I will get it out and bake it on Christmas Day. This recipe has cream of chicken soup in it, which makes it really moist and SO good!
did you use fresh sage? I've always used dried sage, but a friend made Laura Bush's recipe that called for 1/2 cup fresh sage - said it was wonderful, so I'm gonna use my recipe with fresh next week - I cook in crockpot and that helps it stay moist as well and frees up the oven.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:28 PM
Not riding the train

Thought this was a very cool idea for a party.

Short instructions
- melt the chocolate in a double boiler and pour into ice cube trays putting a stick in each one! lol!

HOT CHOCOLATE ON A STICK

Yield: 10 cubes of hot chocolate (ice-cube-tray size)
(use 1 oz. hot chocolate on a stick per every 1 cup milk or cream)

Equipment:

Ziplock bags or piping bags
A double boiler or pan with a glass bowl that can sit over the simmering water
Some kind of chocolate mold, ice trays work great
Stir sticks or a bag of wooden craft sticks like I used (like these, available at any craft store)

Ingredients:

8 oz. chocolate (see note above), bittersweet, semisweet, milk, and white chocolate all work
1/4 cup cocoa, sifted
1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar, sifted
pinch of salt

6 cups milk and 2 cups heavy cream if you plan to enjoy these right away

Method

1. If your chocolate is in a block, chop it into even-sized meltable pieces. Simmer a couple inches of water in a pan, then turn down the heat so the water is below a simmer. I like to remove the pan from the heat, but if you keep it on, keep that water below a simmer. Place glass or stainless steel bowl over the top to make a double boiler. If the bowl touches the water it’s alright, as long as your water isn’t too hot. Dump chocolate into the clean, dry bowl and stir as the chocolate melts. (If you are patient and let those chunks melt slowly, keeping them from getting over 90 degrees F or 88 degrees F for milk and white chocolate, the chocolate will stay “in temper” and will still be nice and pretty when it cools.)

2. Once the chocolate is 2/3 melted, with just some pieces of the chocolate unmelted, remove the bowl from the pan, dry the bottom with a towel and continue stirring until chocolate is fully melted. This is just one more step to keep the chocolate from getting too hot.

3. Add cocoa, sugar, and salt and continue to stir until combined. The chocolate will be thicker, almost as thick as frosting, but still glossy and smooth and very fun to stir. If it looks grainy or more like fudge and is difficult to stir, it’s possible you’ve accidentally gotten a drop of water in the mixture.

4. Scoop chocolate into a ziplock bag and clip off the corner.

5. Pipe the chocolate into your chocolate mold, tapping the mold on the counter to make sure all the chocolate settles into the mold. Add a stir stick and you’re done. The stir stick should stay upright without any trouble.

6. Let the chocolate cool either at room temperature or in the fridge if you’re in a hurry.

7. If you don’t like the look of the chocolate once it is removed from the mold, you can dip the cubes into a new batch of plain melted chocolate for a shinier finish (again, try to keep chocolate from heating over 90 degrees, or use candy melts, which will stay shiny and pretty even if you go above 90 degrees). This also lets you add sprinkles or crushed candy or just lets you dip in fun patterns. I like dipping at an angle into a different color of chocolate.

8. In order to enjoy these, heat up any combo of milk, water, half and half, or cream. I like 6 cups milk with 2 cups heavy cream. One ounce of chocolate on a stick should be melted into one cup milk or cream. So a standard ice cube-tray block, which is 3/4 an ounce, should be melted into a mug with 3/4 cup milk or cream in it.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:46 PM
Not riding the train

Making the Meringue Surprises for a Christmas party this weekend.

Meringue Surprises

4 egg whites
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. cream of tartar
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
1 (12-oz) pkg. semisweet chocolate morsels
2 t. vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 300. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, beat egg whites, salt and cream of tartar at high speed with an electric mixer until soft peaks form.
Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Fold in pecans, chocolate morsels and vanilla extract.

Drop batter by teaspoonfuls onto prepared baking sheets. Bake for 25 minutes. Let cool on pans for 2 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely on wire racks.

Pound Cake Cookies

1 1/2 cups butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 egg yolks
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 t. lemon extract
Strawberry Jam

In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add egg yolks; beat until combined. Sift flour. Gradually add to butter mixture, beating until smooth. Beat in lemon extract.

Wrap dough in heavy-duty plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours.

Preheat oven to 350.

Roll dough into 1-inch balls. Place on ungreased baking sheets. Make an indention in center of each cookie. Fill each with strawberry jam.

Bake for 11 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool for 1 minute on baking sheets. Remove from pan and cool completely on wire racks.

Frosted Orange Date Bars

3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup water
1 (8-oz) pkg chopped pitted dates
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1/4 c. orange juice
3/4 c. milk
2 large egg
1 T. orange zest
1 c. chopped pecans
1 recipe Cream Cheese Frosting (recipe follows)

Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 15x10" jelly-roll pan.

In small saucepan, combine sugar, butter, water, and dates over medium heat; cook, stirring frequently, until dates have softened and mixture is well blended. Remove from heat. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; stir into date mixture, then mix in orange juice, milk, eggs and orange zest. Spread batter evenly in prepared jelly-roll pan.

Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center come out clean.

Cream Cheese Frosting

3 cups confectioners' sugar
1/3 cup butter, softened
1 (3-oz) pkg. cream cheese, softened
1 tablespoon orange zest
2 1/2 tablespoon orange juice

Combine confectioners' sugar, butter, cream cheese and orange zest. Beat until smooth. Gradually mix in orange juice 1 tablespoon at a time until frosting is spreadable. Frost bars when cool. Cut into squares.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:58 PM
My Family!

Margie posted this on FB - where they made them.

I'm going to make them tomorrow - - aren't they just too cute!

I'm going to use the Easter egg recipe for the head and the hat is a marshmellow.

Old 12-18-2009, 05:03 PM
My Family!

Here's Margie's recipe:

COCONUT SNOWMEN
4 c. flaked coconut
3 3/4 c. powdered sugar
2/3 c. sweetened condensed milk
1/4 c. butter, softed
about 2 pkgs. white chocolate chips
about 2 pkgs. chocolate chips
1 (10 1/2 oz.) bag marshmallows
black, orange and green decorator icing. Red hot candies

Mix the coconut, powdered sugar, sweetened condensed milk and butter together. Form into 1 1/2 inch balls. Freeze.

After the balls freeze, melt the white chocolate chips in the microwave. Dip the balls into the white chocolate and place on wax paper to dry.

Melt the chocolate chips in the micro. Dip the marshmallows in that (I stuck a toothpick in the top to use as a handle). Put the marshmallow on wax paper letting the excess chocolate drip down and form the brim of the hat. (You might need to add a bit, but you can tell that pretty quickly).

After both are good and dry, use a dab of melted chocolate (either kind) on the bottom of the hat as glue to attach the hat to the head.

Then use your decorator icings to make the mouth, nose and the leaves on the hat. Stick a red hot in the leaf for a holly berry.

That's it
Old 12-18-2009, 07:47 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgcraig View Post
Margie posted this on FB - where they made them.

I'm going to make them tomorrow - - aren't they just too cute!

I'm going to use the Easter egg recipe for the head and the hat is a marshmellow.

Yes, they are precious!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-21-2009, 08:12 AM
My Family!

My faces weren't as "neat" as Margie's, but I got 50 of them made!

Old 12-21-2009, 08:17 AM
Registered Member

Renda!! those are precious!!! i'm so impressed!
Old 12-21-2009, 09:10 AM
Administrator

Very nice.

I am tempted to give it a try.
Painful moments, TRUST GOD.
Every moment, THANK GOD.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:11 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgcraig View Post
Here's Margie's recipe:

COCONUT SNOWMEN
4 c. flaked coconut
3 3/4 c. powdered sugar
2/3 c. sweetened condensed milk
1/4 c. butter, softed
about 2 pkgs. white chocolate chips
about 2 pkgs. chocolate chips
1 (10 1/2 oz.) bag marshmallows
black, orange and green decorator icing. Red hot candies

Mix the coconut, powdered sugar, sweetened condensed milk and butter together. Form into 1 1/2 inch balls. Freeze.

After the balls freeze, melt the white chocolate chips in the microwave. Dip the balls into the white chocolate and place on wax paper to dry.

Melt the chocolate chips in the micro. Dip the marshmallows in that (I stuck a toothpick in the top to use as a handle). Put the marshmallow on wax paper letting the excess chocolate drip down and form the brim of the hat. (You might need to add a bit, but you can tell that pretty quickly).

After both are good and dry, use a dab of melted chocolate (either kind) on the bottom of the hat as glue to attach the hat to the head.

Then use your decorator icings to make the mouth, nose and the leaves on the hat. Stick a red hot in the leaf for a holly berry.

That's it
Did you put any parafin in the chocolate to make it thinner to pour?
Painful moments, TRUST GOD.
Every moment, THANK GOD.