Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 12-02-2007, 09:24 PM

Charles Parham "sick to his stomach" Over Azusa?

When Parham visited the meetings in October 1906, even he was shocked by the confusion of the services. He was dismayed by the "awful fits and spasms" of the "holy rollers and hypnotists." He described the Azusa "tongues" as "chattering, jabbering and sputtering, speaking no language at all" (Synan, p. 102). The Azusa Street meetings were so wild that Parham condemned them with the term "sensational Holy Rollers." He testified that the Azusa Street meetings were largely characterized by manifestations of the flesh, spiritualistic controls, and the practice of hypnotism (Sarah Parham, The Life of Charles F. Parham, Joplin, MO: Tri-state Printing, 1930, p. 163). According to Parham, two-thirds of the people professing Pentecostalism in his day "are either hypnotized or spook driven" (Parham, Life of Charles Parham, p. 164). In his writings about Azusa Street, Parham described men and women falling on one another in a morally compromising manner. I have seen this same thing in video recordings of Laughing Revival services.

When Parham arrived in Azusa Street in 1906, he began his first sermon by telling the people that "God is sick at his stomach" because of the things which were occurring at Azusa (Charles Shumway, A Study of the "Gift of Tongues," A.B. thesis, University of California, 1914, pp. 178,179; cited by Goff, Fields White Unto Harvest, p. 131). He never changed his opinion. To the end of his life, Parham, often called "the father of Pentecostalism," denounced Azusa Street as a case of "spiritual power prostituted." Thus the "father of Pentecostalism" roundly rejected the Azusa Street meetings as phony, manipulated, and demonic, even though practically all Pentecostal denominations trace their heritage directly from those meetings!

www.tribwatch.com/azusa.htm - 10k
Old 12-02-2007, 09:29 PM
Registered Member

I wasn't there so I couldn't tell you what happened or in what spirit it happened in, but I can tell you that the Baptism of the Holy Ghost is real and that I have spoken in tongues as the Spirit gave the utterance.

So what's your point PP?
Psa 119:165 (KJV) 165 Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them.

"Do not believe everthing you read on the internet" - Abe Lincoln
Old 12-02-2007, 09:29 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Poster View Post
When Parham visited the meetings in October 1906, even he was shocked by the confusion of the services. He was dismayed by the "awful fits and spasms" of the "holy rollers and hypnotists." He described the Azusa "tongues" as "chattering, jabbering and sputtering, speaking no language at all" (Synan, p. 102). The Azusa Street meetings were so wild that Parham condemned them with the term "sensational Holy Rollers." He testified that the Azusa Street meetings were largely characterized by manifestations of the flesh, spiritualistic controls, and the practice of hypnotism (Sarah Parham, The Life of Charles F. Parham, Joplin, MO: Tri-state Printing, 1930, p. 163). According to Parham, two-thirds of the people professing Pentecostalism in his day "are either hypnotized or spook driven" (Parham, Life of Charles Parham, p. 164). In his writings about Azusa Street, Parham described men and women falling on one another in a morally compromising manner. I have seen this same thing in video recordings of Laughing Revival services.

When Parham arrived in Azusa Street in 1906, he began his first sermon by telling the people that "God is sick at his stomach" because of the things which were occurring at Azusa (Charles Shumway, A Study of the "Gift of Tongues," A.B. thesis, University of California, 1914, pp. 178,179; cited by Goff, Fields White Unto Harvest, p. 131). He never changed his opinion. To the end of his life, Parham, often called "the father of Pentecostalism," denounced Azusa Street as a case of "spiritual power prostituted." Thus the "father of Pentecostalism" roundly rejected the Azusa Street meetings as phony, manipulated, and demonic, even though practically all Pentecostal denominations trace their heritage directly from those meetings!

Confusion breads confusion. God is not the author of confusion, but of peace. Too much insanity mixed with spiritism. It's no wonder the denominal churches from LA dismissed it as a work of the devil. It's interesting to read what the surrounding established churches had to say about what was happening.

The Azusa mission went to nothing. They lost the church, infighting, confusion and every evil work ruled the day. It makes you wonder how much of it was actually from God.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevDWW View Post
I wasn't there so I couldn't tell you what happened or in what spirit it happened in, but I can tell you that the Baptism of the Holy Ghost is real and that I have spoken in tongues as the Spirit gave the utterance.

So what's your point PP?
I don't have one. Kinda like my sermons.

How could Parham be "the founder of modern Pentecostalism" and depise the very meeting we credit as the birthplace of that same movement?
Old 12-02-2007, 09:38 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I don't have one. Kinda like my sermons.

How could Parham be "the founder of modern Pentecostalism" and depise the very meeting we credit as the birthplace of that same movement?
Because of his students who came to the conclusion the gift of the Holy Ghost in accompanied by the evidence of speaking in other tongues. They then prayed for and recieved that experience in Topeka Kansas before Azuza street.
His banner over me is LOVE.... My soul followeth hard after thee....Love one another with a pure heart fervently. Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?

To be a servant of God, it will cost us our total commitment to God, and God alone. His burden must be our burden... Sis Alvear
Old 12-02-2007, 09:42 PM
Registered Member

Reading Parham I came away with the opinion he didn't think it was smoke unless it was coming out of his chimney. Just my opinion.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:44 PM

Did you guys know he was accused of being gay?
Old 12-02-2007, 09:46 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Did you guys know he was accused of being gay?
He was arrested in Houston. Don't know if he was guilty or not but that arrest isolated him mostly from the rest of those folks in that day.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:50 PM
Follower of Jesus

Quote:

Parham was a racist, his big issue at Azusa was the fact that whites and black were worshipping together and were in close proximity, black men praying with white women. This has been documented, I think you have to read his comment with that in mind.

My personal mission is to BRING people into a right relationship with God, GROW them up to maturity and SEND them back into the world to minister.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:26 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith4him View Post
Parham was a racist, his big issue at Azusa was the fact that whites and black were worshipping together and were in close proximity, black men praying with white women. This has been documented, I think you have to read his comment with that in mind.
This is true, but more to it than that. The charges of the day included sexual overtones. Black men hugging white women, etc. It was considered taboo for their day. The headlines were scandalous.