Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 07-07-2010, 08:49 AM
Registered Member

Re: Vegitarian and/or Vegan

I am going to weigh in here- I LOVE steak! However, I went through both of my pregnancies (17 and 13 years ago) vegetarian. I did this because of the articles I read that claimed that eating meat (because of the hormones) was causing boys to be more effeminate and girls to develop sooner, due to the estrogen that was being given to the animals. I nursed each of my children for a year, and even then I stayed away from meat- I ate a lot of protein in other ways, but subway veggie delights with extra jalapenos got me through two pregnancies. I never had a day of morning sickness or any other pregnancy-related health issues. Would this have happened to me otherwise? who knows. I did begin eating meat after I stopped nursing and I never kept meat from my kids.
I also know that my kids are teased by our family as being "super kids" because they never get sick. But the jalapenos must have had an effect because they certainly are "spicy" (meaning they never stay still)!

I also had a friend that I went to school with who was raised vegan and her body never developed the ability to process meat. While she loves the smell and taste of it, if she eats it, she immediately vomits. She chose not to do that to her children and while she is required to eat vegetarian, she feeds her family meat.

I took a nutritional class a number of years ago and the teacher claimed that for health reasons a 90% vegetarian diet is best, but NO dairy after nursing. However for the proper development of muscles, the body needs meat.

Nowadays I love a good barbecue, and I usually only give up meat during times of fasting, such as a Daniel Fast.
Just a thought.

"You will be hated for my sake-Just remember that it should be for MY sake and not YOURS-
Do NOT act in such a way as to be offensive, and then blame it on me"

Love, God
Old 07-07-2010, 10:18 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
There are healthy options besides vegetarianism, ya know.
Such as ?
Old 07-07-2010, 11:51 AM
Don't ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceniez View Post
Such as ?
Use more lean meat, less red meat.
Hebrews 13:23 Know ye that our brother Timothy is set at liberty

More New Stuff in Timmy Talk!
My Countdown Counting down to: Rapture. Again.
Why am I not surprised?
Old 07-07-2010, 11:59 AM
Still Figuring It Out.

Quote:
Use more lean meat, less red meat.
Eat goat meat.

It's a red meat that is healthier than chicken.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:01 PM
Don't ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digging4Truth View Post
Eat goat meat.

Never tried it. Is it any good? Sounds a little disgusting.

How healthy is lamb?
Hebrews 13:23 Know ye that our brother Timothy is set at liberty

More New Stuff in Timmy Talk!
My Countdown Counting down to: Rapture. Again.
Why am I not surprised?
Old 07-07-2010, 12:12 PM
Still Figuring It Out.

Quote:
Never tried it. Is it any good? Sounds a little disgusting.

How healthy is lamb?
Actually goat is the most popular meat in the world. The US is one of the few places where it doesn't enjoy high popularity. Goat is also biblically kosher as well so it is, per God, a clean animal.

Here is some information from a website.
http://www.bakersacresranch.com/Nutr...at%20Meat.html

Nutrient Composition of Goat Meat
by John R. Addrizzo

Goat meat cuts have fat content 50%-65% lower than similarly prepared beef (but with a similar protein content) and have between 42%-59% less fat than lamb and have about the same fat to 25% lower than veal. This pattern was repeated for the cooked samples (James et al., 1990). In addition, the percentage of saturated fat in goat meat is 40% less than chicken (without skin) and is far below beef, port and lamb by 850, 1100, and 900%, respectively (U.S.D.A. 1981, 1989).

Devendra (1988) states that unsaturated fatty acids predominate in goat meat (68.5% to 72.3%) compared to 50% found by Eastridge (1990); these agree with the U.S. Handbook (1989) value of 69%. Lauric, myristic and palmitic acid are saturated fatty acids of the hypercholesterolemic group found in goat meat; their percentage is 2%, 2.6%, and 27.6%, respectively. The non-hypercholesterolemic group of fatty acids consists of one saturated fatty acid, C:18.0 stearic acid (14% to 16.6%) and the unsaturated fatty acids, C:18.1 oleic (30.1% to 37%), C:18.2 linoleic (13.4%) and C:18.3 linolenic (.4%). Universally, the fatty acid and protein values are constant with the intramuscular fat disposition of .94% to 1.4% in the indigenous breeds of the Indian subcontinent when compared to Alpine, Toggenburg, Nubian, and Saanen goats (2.01%) over a range of live weights (Devendra, 1988).

Cholesterol content of chevon is controversially similar to that of beef, lamb, pork, and chicken and much lower than some dairy, poultry products and some seafoods. Further studies of goat meat cholesterol indicates levels of 76 mg% compared to 70 mg% for beef, fish, and lamb and 60 mg% for pork and chicken (Pond and Maner, 1984; Potchoiba et al., 1990). Cholesterol of beef meat, uncooked, ranges from 36 mg% to 46 mg% to 78.2mg% (Stromer et al., 1966; Terrell et al., 1969) compared to 57.8 mg% to 69.5 mg% of chevon (Park et al., 1991).

The key fact is that your blood cholesterol level depends less on your intake of cholesterol from foods and more on the amount of saturated fats consumed, especially the ratio of polyunsaturated to saturated fats. Therefore, by reducing the consumption of foods high in saturated fats, a more effective measure of cholesterol control is achieved. Polyunsaturated fats and monosaturated fats pack less tightly and are liquid at room temperature which, unlike beef and lamb, is common to the drippings from goat meat. The inspection of congealed fat drippings is a visual index as to the degree of saturated fats present. This is noticeably absent in goat meat.

The wealth of documentable evidence indicates that goat meat (chevon), regardless of age, breed, or region, will supply a high quality protein source along with a healthy fat (increased unsaturated fats/saturated fats ratio) with a minimal cholesterol intake risk. In addition, chevon contains comparatively higher values of iron, potassium and thiamine associated with a low sodium level (Eastridge and Johnson, 1990); see Table 1. All essential amino acids are present and a low calorie per serving value is available. As a result of the above, chevon should be designated as the naturally occurring health meat.

With respect to goat milk and the cardiovascular system, one finds it similar to cow's milk. By lowering the fat content to the "skim" level, it would be a very acceptable nutritional milk. Goat milk's only deficiency is a low folate level; otherwise, it is a complete dietary supplement. It is used in treating cow's milk allergy and is extremely palatable due to natural homogenazation; it also supplies all calcium requirements and is most like human milk in comparison.
Conclusion

The goat's genetically determined distribution of body fats (to peritoneum and internal organs, no intermuscular) and composition of these fats (low saturated; high polyunsaturated/saturated fat ratio) enable it to be considered "user friendly" in our modern health conscious society. In addition, the goat supplies a nutritious "white gold" milk.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:23 PM
Master of none

Hey, did anybody watch the YouTube video where Joel Osteen was talking about what we should and should not eat? It was pretty funny.
Acts 2:19
And I will shew wonders in heaven above, and signs in the earth beneath; blood, and fire, and vapour of smoke:

Revelation 8:8
And the second angel sounded, and as it were a great mountain burning with fire was cast into the sea: and the third part of the sea became blood;
Old 07-20-2010, 10:25 PM
Strange in a Strange Land...

Bump.

Has any read The Thrive Diet?

How about anyone that has used Vega Products like shakes, smoothies, etc?
Old 07-20-2010, 11:12 PM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digging4Truth View Post
Eat goat meat.

... AND it tastes like goat meat!

Just "kidding"!

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Old 07-20-2010, 11:30 PM
Strange in a Strange Land...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoovie View Post
... AND it tastes like goat meat!

Just "kidding"!
LOL