Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Deep Waters > Islamic Issues and News
Facebook

Notices

Islamic Issues and News Discuss Islam and report on current issues regarding Islam

Old 08-27-2013, 02:06 PM
Banned

Re: What I'm Learning From Islam:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
One more thing.... just in case some some believers are reading.

Muhammad was a genocidal pedifile. his book is a commandment to KILL.
Ferd, we forget that the average age for marriage was quite young prior to the modern era. I believe that in most cultures the moment a woman "passed her flower" she was regarding as old enough to marry. So, by our standards... many honorable men in the Bible were "pedophiles".

In addition... genocide was also something seen commonly throughout the OT, especially as the children of Israel subdued the Promised Land.

Everything should be considered in context... because the measure with which we judge will be the measure with which we must meet. In the end... we make Joshua and others seem like genocidal pedophiles too.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcBee View Post
And reportedly in Roman era, Christians also sacrificed themselves for the worthy cause of "their witness." Fast forward some centuries later, where lesser-enlightened Christians supposedly slaughtered those who didn't believe as they did. And that's why I specified "not trying to make any other point than.....blah, blah, blah."

Not nasty. I was wondering if anyone HERE could at least give credit to Islam for being a little bit more transparently monotheistic than what is implied by 1 John5:7 (whether or not you see see that verse as justifying trinitarianism, or rather prefer to square it with Oneness, given enough words and time to explain.) Oneness DOES requires a lot of explanation to square with the "three-ness" aspect of god, just as trinitarianism requires volumes of explanation to square with the otherwise common meaning of "ONE."

Okay!
I do find Islam's monotheism admirable. It sure beats Catholicism's paganism.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Marcbee there is at least a sight difference in a person being willing to die for what they believe in as opposed to walking into a crowd and blowing yourself up so as to assure your place in heaven.
True.

I believe we should remember that Islam is like Christianity in that there are many "denominations" (if you will) ranging from Shiite Islam to Sunni Islam, from Sufi Islam to Ahamadiyya Islam. Currently the two largest denominations are Shiite and Sunni. Various sects within each are quite militant. But not all Muslims are militant. In fact, some see the Greater Jihad as the quest to subdue one's own soul... and the Lesser Jihad as being a military response to threat.

Remember, many more extreme Islamic groups persecute the more moderate minority groups. Many Sufis have perished at the hands of Shiites.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:15 PM
Banned

But my overall point was that their devotion to set times of prayer is rather inspiring. And that I was seeking Scripture to find if the Bible itself might provide direction on times to pray. For many, they have one day a week wherein they gather for a "prayer service" and for the rest of the week they only pray before meals or during those mild times of distress (like being stuck in traffic on the way to work).
Old 08-27-2013, 02:27 PM
I remain the Petulant Chevalier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
Ferd, we forget that the average age for marriage was quite young prior to the modern era. I believe that in most cultures the moment a woman "passed her flower" she was regarding as old enough to marry. So, by our standards... many honorable men in the Bible were "pedophiles".

In addition... genocide was also something seen commonly throughout the OT, especially as the children of Israel subdued the Promised Land.

Everything should be considered in context... because the measure with which we judge will be the measure with which we must meet. In the end... we make Joshua and others seem like genocidal pedophiles too.
im pretty much a stickler for keeping things in context. Even my the morals of the age, Muhammad married a 9 year old. historians of they day tried to scrub the record, but failed.

the problem muslims have with the genocide thing is that muhammad codified it in his holy book. They live by that to this day.

of course others, including Christians were murderous monsters by today's standard, but the bible does not codify genocide as a methodology to be practiced.

the koran in context is the cause of massive violence in the world TODAY.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:28 PM
I remain the Petulant Chevalier

Quote:
But my overall point was that their devotion to set times of prayer is rather inspiring. And that I was seeking Scripture to find if the Bible itself might provide direction on times to pray. For many, they have one day a week wherein they gather for a "prayer service" and for the rest of the week they only pray before meals or during those mild times of distress (like being stuck in traffic on the way to work).
im sorry for derailing your thread.

praying is a good thing. we should do more of it. I agree on the point.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
im pretty much a stickler for keeping things in context. Even my the morals of the age, Muhammad married a 9 year old. historians of they day tried to scrub the record, but failed.

the problem muslims have with the genocide thing is that muhammad codified it in his holy book. They live by that to this day.

of course others, including Christians were murderous monsters by today's standard, but the bible does not codify genocide as a methodology to be practiced.

the koran in context is the cause of massive violence in the world TODAY.
You dont consider the children of Israel killing of the races of the promised land as genocide?
Old 08-27-2013, 03:47 PM
Banned

Quote:

Sir you are very smart and a testament to your faith. If the terrorist mulims speak for all Islam then the westboro baptists represent all christians.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:54 PM
Go Dodgers!

Many people would consider the comparison apples and oranges.

WB don't have cells in every nation

They don't plant bombs or strap them on in suicide vests

They are limited to a handful of members. Probably less than 20, most being members of the same family.

They don't have a history that spans centuries of hatred for Jews and Christians

They haven't beheaded anyone.

They haven't launched rockets into Israel.

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
Many people would consider the comparison apples and oranges.

WB don't have cells in every nation

They don't plant bombs or strap them on in suicide vests

They are limited to a handful of members. Probably less than 20, most being members of the same family.

They don't have a history that spans centuries of hatred for Jews and Christians

They haven't beheaded anyone.

They haven't launched rockets into Israel.
No its not apples to oranges. Its an applicable analogy. Both are a small set of Christians and Muslims and dont represent their religion as a whole. 1.5 billion muslims on the planet. Only a small amount are radical terrorist. If they all thought and acted like that, there wouldnt be an army to stop them. Study the Quran and history and then I might take your comments serious.