Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 11-14-2007, 09:07 AM
Registered Member

Ministry question....

I have wanted to ask this question for quiet awhile but not really sure how to word it.

So here goes....
When serving in a ministry position in the church.
How do you know when it is time to move on?

I have prayed about it. I can't say that I have "heard" God tell me to move on.

Whenever I think about the situation I get very discouraged and want to throw up my hands and quit.

I am doing what I know to do, like going through the motions, but don't feel anything...if that makes sence. I know that it isn't always about the "feeling" but it is like the passion is gone.

I don't want to be out of the will of God. I have been through that enough and I guess that is why I have stuck this out as long as I have, 1 yr 3 months.

Any suggestions? Please go light on me...I am at a breaking point and it wouldn't take much for me to cave in.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:14 AM
Invisible Thad

We ALL go through seasons like this. Often people take discouragment as a Sign from God to move when in reality it's their own emotions pulling on them. it's best to stick it out through the tough times.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:18 AM
My two little angels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad View Post
We ALL go through seasons like this. Often people take discouragment as a Sign from God to move when in reality it's their own emotions pulling on them. it's best to stick it out through the tough times.
Amen. I agree.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:29 AM
His Eminance, High Potatohead Potatotate

Quote:
Originally Posted by trent4 View Post
I have wanted to ask this question for quiet awhile but not really sure how to word it.

So here goes....

Whenever I think about the situation I get very discouraged and want to throw up my hands and quit.

I am doing what I know to do, like going through the motions, but don't feel anything...if that makes sence. I know that it isn't always about the "feeling" but it is like the passion is gone.

I don't want to be out of the will of God. I have been through that enough and I guess that is why I have stuck this out as long as I have, 1 yr 3 months.

Any suggestions? Please go light on me...I am at a breaking point and it wouldn't take much for me to cave in.
Take a Break...... take some time to sit and be fed....then if you want to go back to what you were doing ...do it...

but if you go any longer like this worse things could happen... sometimes burnt and spent tastes bitter...and before you get there...take some time...
Old 11-14-2007, 09:33 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad View Post
That is what I don't want to do.
But how long should I "stick it out"?
Old 11-14-2007, 09:47 AM
Registered Member

Ok here goes...I have been teaching Sunday School for 2yrs 3 months.

When I started I was a helper but after a month I became the lead teacher.

I take teaching very serious altho they are 4-5 yrs old, I prepare as if I was teaching adults...what I mean by that I don't wait until Sat night to decide what we are going to do the next morning...I work on it all through the week.

I got a helper that is different than me (that is not a bad thing)...waits til Sat night to plan for Sunday and it showed in class. So for 2 yrs I put up with alot and I went to the head of the sunday school dept several times and I was told I needed to talk to her. I tried different things in class.
Well I don't do well with confronting people but I knew that enough was enough so I prayed and felt peace with what I was going to say, told the head guy what I was going to do and I got the go ahead.
So I talked to my helper and that did not go good!!! Needless to say she is taking a break.
I have someone helping me but she doesn't have the desire to be a sunday school teacher....so once again I feel that I am back to the way things use to be with the exception that I do everything as far as preparation.
I am drained! I struggle with coming up with ideas, new or old.
I used to love to work on sunday school now it is a struggle.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:49 AM

I believe God will speak to you ... in many ways ...

1. thru prayer, fasting and meditation.. that small still voice!!!
2. thru the Word
3. doors often begin to close before the new one opens
4. Word of knowledge
Old 11-14-2007, 09:49 AM
My two little angels!

Quote:
That is what I don't want to do.
But how long should I "stick it out"?
But you can't move on feeling this way. You either stay where you are or do as revrandy said. You can't grow until you get through this.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:52 AM

Trent don't mistake duldrums ... w/ a sign to move on ...

Its part of our human nature to get bored w/ our routines ... you should find ways to spice up your experience before considering moving on.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:52 AM
"It's Never Too Late"

Quote:

So here goes....

I think manygreat potential ministers have died on the vine. Because they are concerned with other ministers might think if they move on.

I say if you personally stop to grow - it's time to GO!