Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Newsroom
Facebook

Notices

The Newsroom FYI: News & Current Events, Political Discussions, etc.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:40 AM
Renewed

Gun Control-Here we go again.

Mass shooting prompts calls from Capitol Hill and beyond for tighter gun laws

I am an active supporter of the right to bear arms. I both hunt and target shoot. Own handguns, rifles, and shotguns.

The Senator here is wanting to ban high capacity magazines. The first point I would like to make, as I'm sure RandyWayne can agree. High capacity clips had nothing to do with the Colorado shooting. Yes, it allowed him to fire off more rounds consecutively, but the time it takes one to drop a clip from an AR15, slap another one in, and chamber the first round is about 5 seconds. (for someone practiced, 10 seconds for a newbie) So the fact is, high capacity clips might have saved 1 in the overall scheme of the shooting. Or he could have stood there an extra 1 minute and still done the same damage.

Now, that being said, can any of you fellow gun owners think of any reasons at all why we would be against this ban? Personally, I see no need for high capacity clips. Other than having to stop and reload when target practicing, which I can live with. And for hunting, well, as grandpa always said, if it takes you more than one round you need to go back and shoot some more cans.

So honestly, if the ban covers JUST high capacity magazines, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

What say ye ?
You can't reach the world with your talents. People are sick and tired of religious talents. People need a Holy Ghost annointed church with real fruits to reach out and touch their lives. ~ Pastor Burrell Crabtree

In fact I think that the insinuation of "hateful" Pentecostals is coming mostly from the fertile imaginations of bitter, backslidden ex Apostolics who are constantly trying to find a way to justify their actions. ~ strait shooter

www.scottysweb.com
www.chrisscottonline.com
Old 07-22-2012, 10:19 AM
Forever Loved Admin

Re: Gun Control-Here we go again.

What about knives, blunt objects, etc............?
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV
Old 07-22-2012, 10:29 AM
Renewed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy View Post
What about knives, blunt objects, etc............?
Well that falls back on the fact that people kill people, regardless of what weapon they use. In this case the weapon allowed him to kill more at one time.

I doubt they will go after gun control altogether. The article goes on to point out that everytime the Dems pass a gun control measure they lose seats in the following election.
You can't reach the world with your talents. People are sick and tired of religious talents. People need a Holy Ghost annointed church with real fruits to reach out and touch their lives. ~ Pastor Burrell Crabtree

In fact I think that the insinuation of "hateful" Pentecostals is coming mostly from the fertile imaginations of bitter, backslidden ex Apostolics who are constantly trying to find a way to justify their actions. ~ strait shooter

www.scottysweb.com
www.chrisscottonline.com
Old 07-22-2012, 11:53 AM
Registered Member

How much magazine capacity it "too much!"? The arbitrary number given is usually 10 but why 10? My Ruger 9mm clips are 15, my AR is 30, and I have have a banana clip for my 22LR of 25. Why is the number 10 so magical?

And if it really ISN'T magical then why make the law and create even more precedent for further gun control under the guise of "We have to do something!"?
Old 07-22-2012, 11:55 AM
Registered Member

And I still believe this whole shooting was a major hoax. After all, the shooter, Holmes, couldn't have had a gun in that particular theater -they weren't allowed in it! The "No Firearms!" sign on the front should have told him that!

I mean HAD he taken a gun into that theater he would have been breaking the "No Firearms!" allowed policy of the establishment and would have REALLY been breaking the law! At least all the law abiding carriers of concealed firearms had the good sense to not break that particular rule!

Last edited by RandyWayne; 07-22-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:52 PM
A Child Of The Most High

I wonder what would have happened had 2 or 3 people been armed in that theatre...

I wonder what would have happened had a few people decided to fight back.

I wonder...

Instead...we will now decided whether or not to take what little teeth we have to bite, away from us...
Old 07-22-2012, 03:09 PM
Renewed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroJoe View Post
I wonder what would have happened had 2 or 3 people been armed in that theatre...

I wonder what would have happened had a few people decided to fight back.

I wonder...

Instead...we will now decided whether or not to take what little teeth we have to bite, away from us...
Then 2 or 3 more people would have died.

Lets not forget the body armour he had on. If someone had returned fire it would have been useless, plus they would have been singled out by him and unless body armour was the dress code for the day, they would have died.

I see the point your making and I agree with the premise, but in this case returning fire would have done nothing more than made you a prime target.

www.scottysweb.com
www.chrisscottonline.com
Old 07-22-2012, 03:48 PM
Registered Member

Limiting magazine capacity is almost a pointless gesture.

We don't need symbolism and we don't need a knee-jerk reaction to a senseless tragedy.

I am against this 100%

Now, in times past I have been in favor of limiting the types of guns and rifles that can be bought by civilians.

There's no need for a civilian to have a machine gun or rocket launcher.

I am unsure how I feel about civilians having the ability to purchase AR-15's. Just don't see the civilian purpose, but don't want to open the door any wider to restrict any more freedom either.

Last edited by Jermyn Davidson; 07-22-2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:49 PM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

I have not heard how he got in there with the mask and guns.

I am not in Favor of gun control, neither am I convinced fewer people would have died had this criminal been law abiding in regards to purchasing weapons with greater restrictions.

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Old 07-22-2012, 03:52 PM
Registered Member

Shall we put a law restricting body armour as well? :P. Laws like that don't work. If you think about it, whose going to obey the law? All the law-abiding citizens! Whose going to break it? The very ones who are breaking it now! It doesn't do anything EXCEPT, slowly take the freedom we once had and which your forefathers fought for.
Any type of laws restricting firearms, etc, I'm against. There are way too many (over here in Aussie it's ridiculous).

For example, did you know that I can't buy a little knife whose blade can only extend 2 cm at the most because I'm not 18? I mean, get real! Are you kidding me? I have MADE knives that are far more deadly than that little thing.

Ooops. Did I mention that rocks are really hard objects and possible murder weapons? Hmmmmm . . . . . next headline . . . . state government looks to ban rocks for all under-age adults. :P