Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 09-04-2020, 10:23 PM
Registered Member

Praying to the Father or Jesus?

In around 30 years of attending a UPCI church I have never heard anyone pray like the believers pray in Acts 4.24-30, where they pray to the Father and speak of Jesus in the third person:

27 “For truly against Your holy Servant Jesus . . ." (or your holy child)
29 Now, Lord, look on their threats, and grant to Your servants that with all boldness they may speak Your word, 30 by stretching out Your hand to heal, and that signs and wonders may be done through the name of Your holy Servant Jesus.” (or, of your holy child Jesus)

I'm sure if I prayed this way, speaking to God about Jesus, people would at the very least think it was odd, but I would imagine many would think it was wrong.

Do you pray like they do in Acts 4? Most people that I hear pray address Jesus in prayer.

How do you think we should pray? Who do we address?

There is evidence for prayer to the Father and to Jesus, with more examples of the former.

I've always been puzzled by this because, again, there are instances where prayer is made to the Father while distinguishing him from Jesus.

Any of your thoughts on how to solve/explain this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-04-2020, 11:45 PM
Believe, Obey, Declare

Re: Praying to the Father or Jesus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costeon View Post
In around 30 years of attending a UPCI church I have never heard anyone pray like the believers pray in Acts 4.24-30, where they pray to the Father and speak of Jesus in the third person:

29 Now, Lord, look on their threats, and grant to Your servants that with all boldness they may speak Your word, 30 by stretching out Your hand to heal, and that signs and wonders may be done through the name of Your holy Servant Jesus.” (or, of your holy child Jesus)

I'm sure if I prayed this way, speaking to God about Jesus, people would at the very least think it was odd, but I would imagine many would think it was wrong.

Do you pray like they do in Acts 4? Most people that I hear pray address Jesus in prayer.

There is evidence for prayer to the Father and to Jesus, with more examples of the former.

I've always been puzzled by this because, again, there are instances where prayer is made to the Father while distinguishing him from Jesus.

I look at this relationally...I know Jesus...Jesus knows me...we arent strangers...I know Jesus is the Wonderful Counselor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father.

Its like me...when my wife addresses me...she can do so in many different ways...because of our relationship I know shes speaking to me even when it's not by my "legal" name.

Yes yes Im Jesus name all the way...Im just saying that I can recognize God as my Heavenly Father without getting off into craziness...I dont overthink it...theres familiarity there for good reason. I dont speak to Him as though Im a stranger in a crowd yelling out to someone with a nickname I just made up on the fly.

How should we pray?

You should pray without ceasing...you should flow in conversation with Him throughout your day as an unbroken conversation and meditation.

Sometimes I say Jesus...sometimes I say God...there are many times in our conversations where in tears I acknowledge Him as Father in a relational sense.

I have a 4 year old daughter and the role of Father and child is so prevalent in my life and God uses my natural relationship to reveal to me His character and mine in how I interact with God and how He is patient, loving and kind in how He deals with me.

Again, Id suggest deformalizing the speeches...be open, real, raw and honest...let Him reveal himself with those relational aspects.

I don't end every prayer paragraph with "In Jesus name"

That just is kinda weird when you think about it...since Im flowing in this throughout the day I leave that envelope un signed and un sealed that way I just keep at the conversation and fellowship throughout the day...just helps me keep in that continual prayer mindset.

Maybe dont use words and formats other people with their own relationships with God use...I dunno...Hes right here...we dont have to visit Him in Acts 4...we can just speak to Him now.

Sorry, its been a late crazy night...hopefully that got some gears turning for you and I didnt totally misunderstand your post.
Old 09-04-2020, 11:55 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costeon View Post

We pray just like they did in the Bible. (see note below)

Can't speak for the UPC. They do a lot of things that aren't Biblical and apostolic, and they generally don't feel the need to. I say that based on what UPC pastors have told me, personally.

Note: Not only do we pray to the Father in Jesus' name, as well as directly addressing Jesus, just like the early church did in the NT, but we even corporately pray the psalms together, just like Acts 4 describes.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 09-04-2020, 11:55 PM
Registered Member

I do pray like that. I don't care how odd in may sound to others.

The Son of God is in heaven, the Father, who is the Spirit, is what he left us in his name. You pray to the Father and ask him to reveal more of his Son to you, his love, teaching, life, basically the example to follow as disciples of him that we are., thru the Scripture, and the Spirit, will help you grow more in the knowledge of his Son.

The Father sent his Son for us to follow him (among other things, of course). We know the Son is the revelation of God in flesh to us, and there is one God, but you talk in those terms: Father, Son, to highlight the role of each manifestation in your salvation and knowledge of God.

Last edited by coksiw; 09-04-2020 at 11:58 PM.
Old 09-05-2020, 12:36 AM
Believe, Obey, Declare

Quote:
Originally Posted by coksiw View Post
I do pray like that. I don't care how odd in may sound to others.

The Son of God is in heaven, the Father, who is the Spirit, is what he left us in his name. You pray to the Father and ask him to reveal more of his Son to you, his love, teaching, life, basically the example to follow as disciples of him that we are., thru the Scripture, and the Spirit, will help you grow more in the knowledge of his Son.

The Father sent his Son for us to follow him (among other things, of course). We know the Son is the revelation of God in flesh to us, and there is one God, but you talk in those terms: Father, Son, to highlight the role of each manifestation in your salvation and knowledge of God.

Please dont think Im judging folks on how they pray...Im not trying to come off that way.
Old 09-05-2020, 03:42 AM
Liberty

The Biblical standard is to pray to the Father.
Old 09-05-2020, 04:41 AM
Registered Member

Teach us to pray.

Our father, who is in heaven...

It is perfectly acceptable to pray to the Father.

In practice, I do not have a rigid format of communicating with God.
Old 09-05-2020, 08:57 AM
Registered Member

I believe prayer and the style is based on a persons faith.

Some may pray the Lord’s Prayer because thats the faith they have at that time, others may get a little bold and start talking to him. You can say Father, Lord, King, Shepard the list goes on and on yet, my OPINION, is the more intimate prayer you’ll say the name Jesus.

Ill use Jediwill as an example, he mentioned he has a little girl, that little girl knows him as daddy, or dad, or pa. To strangers or acquaintances he may be known as Mr. Jediwill, but to his wife its first name or maybe even a pet name.

I hope you can see where I’m going with this, our prayer is an intimate time, as the church we are the wife of Christ. We come to Christ as a wife, we call him by the first name, we know him, and he knows us. Your marriage is a direct reflection of your relationship to Christ.
Old 09-05-2020, 08:58 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Pitta View Post
Teach us to pray.

Our father, who is in heaven...

It is perfectly acceptable to pray to the Father.

In practice, I do not have a rigid format of communicating with God.
I absolutely agree.
Old 09-05-2020, 09:08 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodemus1968 View Post
I believe prayer and the style is based on a persons faith.

Some may pray the Lord’s Prayer because thats the faith they have at that time, others may get a little bold and start talking to him. You can say Father, Lord, King, Shepard the list goes on and on yet, my OPINION, is the more intimate prayer you’ll say the name Jesus.

Ill use Jediwill as an example, he mentioned he has a little girl, that little girl knows him as daddy, or dad, or pa. To strangers or acquaintances he may be known as Mr. Jediwill, but to his wife its first name or maybe even a pet name.

I hope you can see where I’m going with this, our prayer is an intimate time, as the church we are the wife of Christ. We come to Christ as a wife, we call him by the first name, we know him, and he knows us. Your marriage is a direct reflection of your relationship to Christ.
I’m sorry to inform you, sir, we are not the wife of Christ yet! We will be presented as Paul said, yet were not at that point yet.