Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 12-21-2007, 06:55 PM
Registered Member

Naked, Naked, Naked & blind to Nakedness

This was sent to an AFF member from a fellow UPCI minister who then forwarded it to me and asked me to post it. I am not the author of this short artilce, but I certainly agree with its contents.

The Emperor’s New Clothes

Many years ago, there lived an emperor who was quite an average fairy tale ruler, with one exception: he cared much about his clothes. One day he heard from two swindlers named Guido and Luigi Farabutto that they could make the finest suit of clothes from the most beautiful cloth. This cloth, they said, also had the special capability that it was invisible to anyone who was either stupid or not fit for his position.
Being a bit nervous about whether he himself would be able to see the cloth, the emperor first sent two of his trusted men to see it. Of course, neither would admit that they could not see the cloth and so praised it. All the townspeople had also heard of the cloth and were interested to learn how stupid their neighbors were.
The emperor then allowed himself to be dressed in the clothes for a procession through town, never admitting that he was too unfit and stupid to see what he was wearing. He was afraid that the other people would think that he was stupid.
Of course, all the townspeople wildly praised the magnificent clothes of the emperor, afraid to admit that they could not see them, until a small child said:
"But he has nothing on!"
This was whispered from person to person until everyone in the crowd was shouting that the emperor had nothing on. The emperor heard it and felt that they were correct, but held his head high and finished the procession (Wikipedia).

Fast forward to 2007:

The big-shot preachers are preening in their new clothes! They visited the tailor months ago and ordered their spiffy duds. They are stylish and colorful with “holiness” embroidered on their sleeves. “No to Resolution 4” decorates their lapel. The feathers in their hats are indicative of their pious pomp. Obviously, they are a notch above! After all, they are the “preferred apostolics.” The parade is assembling in Tulsa. The band is warming up with “Tulsa Time!” The lackeys are purchasing their tickets. They plan to line the streets and bow in adulation. It’s the big-shot preachers in their new clothes!
The sad truth is evident. The raw and naked ambition is stark! The frustrated egos have finally found a soother. The opportunistic ambition is naked before our eyes. Let them preen; let them croon, the truth is obvious to see! It’s not about TV and it’s not about purity—it’s all about “big-shot want-to-bes!”
I cannot remain silent when such a spectacle I see! Please forgive my honesty—“But they have nothing on!”
I will not be going to Tulsa. I “prefer” not to play the game. What!—build a new headquarters; write a new manual just for big-shot want-to-bes to preen? It’s sad and obvious to see—it’s a garish parade of ambitious—big-shot preachers decked out in their new clothes!
God bless the faithful,

An observant, card-carrying, tithe-paying, missions-giving UPCI preacher.