Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 10-11-2007, 01:07 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlan2057 View Post
I didn't realize she was a Varnado from Lake Charles.

Had I known at one time, I'd long forgotten.

If she's David's daughter, I guess she'd be A. D. Varnado's granddaughter.

My daughter worked in the kitchen at the junior camp, had to skip the senior camp for art academy and then was back for campmeeting.

David Varnado was her boss so I guess he's following his dad as head of the kitchen during the Louisiana camps.

My bad ... I thought they were some of KP's converts around the time the hippies were coming on board.

Grady Stebbins was another.

Grady Stebbins...man, I had forgotten about him. He preached for us at Sandy Lake, too.

Seems I remember him playing a guitar and singing "Me and Jesus".

I was about seven years old then.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:34 AM
Registered Member

Steve Fender preached a service a the AMF conference at Little Rock years ago if I remember correctly.
Some friends visited him a few years back stayed for the entire service they did have folks repeat the sinner's prayer. SF had the guys to come into his office to visit and he kept them for hours talking about the old days. They said he seemed very lonely?
Old 10-11-2007, 12:04 PM
Beautiful are the feet......

My! My! Becky has sure changed since the last time I saw her!

I remember when her and Steve first got married, they preached us a revival and stayed at our home. Becky had bags of candy that she was constantly munching on, AND NEVER OFFERED ME A PIECE!! I would look at her eating that candy and my mouth would water!
Old 10-12-2007, 01:40 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by philjones View Post
David is indeed Becky's dad and David lives next door to my daughter and son-in-law in Moss Bluff, LA. His nephew, Jim Vanover goes to church with me. His sister is Sister Janet Trout in Delaware. Becky has a significant pedigree in Apostolic circles.

Some of you would be surprised at the UC roots that Steve and Becky had. He used to preach for many of the AMF brethren, including the late Charles Cooper in Pitkin, LA. Of course, as some have already indicated, Becky sang the revivals and Steve basically gave the altar calls.

Another couple that I thought of with the talk of Steve and Becky was Sharon and Paul Haygood... one key difference was that Paul could preach as well as Sharon could sing.
If this is not the Becky Varando for Oil City, La. what was her name?
Painful moments, TRUST GOD.
Every moment, THANK GOD.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:04 PM
Registered Member

Re: Pastor Steve Fender talks about TV Resolution

Let's see...is this about TV or no TV? If so, why are those who "are the true believers" on this evil computer?
Old 07-29-2011, 11:00 PM
Administrator

arlingreen, you do realize this is a four year old thread?
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"
Old 07-30-2011, 08:52 PM
Stranger in a Strange Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelathais View Post
As I said before, I really don't know the guy at all. I hope PentecostisAlive comes back. I'm curious about the mechanics involved in a case like KP's. Is he said to have "watered down" the doctrine simply because he left the UPC? Then can the same be said of those that are planning on leaving right now? Are they "watering down" the message?

What exactly does one do to be guilty of "watering down" the message?
Pel, if you deviate from the party line of Acts 2:38 & Holiness (read standards) = salvation, then you are "watering down" the message. If you are not a three stepper, you are "watering down" the message. If you pursue grace (the REAL kind) as a lifestlye rather than life by guilt, then you are "watering down" the message. If you are not UPC, the you are "watering down" the message. It's the same old slime used for years...ad hominem attacks against people unknown to you but because of HEARSAY they are killed. No more than al quaeda christians, plain and simple.

What PIA forgets is that the "message" is not a verse, but rather the glory of the incarnation and resurrection of Jesus Christ which in effect extended grace for all who call upon His name to be saved...but I digress.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:00 PM

I was a UPC preacher for years and got tired of hearing fellow men of GOD being slimed over the interpretation of the application of the VERSE. It's inane.

Oneness Pentecostals SHOULD be fellowshipping one another REGARDLESS of their differences in opinions re: standards OR the verse.

It's interesting to me how UPC (predominantly white organization) brethren I have met make allowances in areas of standards in other oneness denominations (read: other races), but if you are WHITE you had better be clean shaven (if you are a man, that is! lol), and you had better not be caught wearing shorts, a swimming suit, a sleeveless t shirt, and heaven help the woman that cuts her hair or wears pantalones. It is revolting the amount of character assassination comes from my conservative "brethren" over standards. It really shows what spirit they are of...
Old 07-30-2011, 09:16 PM

I'll get off my soapbox after this.
The most pointed, mean-spirited, classless and toxic sniping on this forum have come from conservative apostolics.
Isn't it about time you discovered the JESUS of the bible?

I learned many years ago that being a Christian didn't mean trying to be good enough to "be one". Noone is good enough for that.
I also learned that GOD does NOT use guilt in the same way people do to manipulate us.
Finally; I served in the military, 7 years active, 21 in the reserve, retiring in the Army Reserve as a Command Sergeant Major. This doesn't make me better than anyone else, but I CAN speak to the military life. Living for GOD is not designed to be as hard as being in the military. The Code of Conduct can devastate you and a major violation can ruin your career. But we are not living under military rules (are you reading this, PIA?)Living in the military REQUIRES conformity, but in the Body of Christ we are all individuals placed their at God's pleasure (severally as He will).
With apologies to Gloria Eastridge, "God does not make cookie cutter Christians" (circa 1978)
Old 07-31-2011, 02:20 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabby View Post
I was a UPC preacher for years and got tired of hearing fellow men of GOD being slimed over the interpretation of the application of the VERSE. It's inane.

Oneness Pentecostals SHOULD be fellowshipping one another REGARDLESS of their differences in opinions re: standards OR the verse.

It's interesting to me how UPC (predominantly white organization) brethren I have met make allowances in areas of standards in other oneness denominations (read: other races), but if you are WHITE you had better be clean shaven (if you are a man, that is! lol), and you had better not be caught wearing shorts, a swimming suit, a sleeveless t shirt, and heaven help the woman that cuts her hair or wears pantalones. It is revolting the amount of character assassination comes from my conservative "brethren" over standards. It really shows what spirit they are of...