Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Deep Waters
Facebook

Notices

Deep Waters 'Deep Calleth Unto Deep ' -The place to go for Ministry discussions. Please keep it civil. Remember to discuss the issues, not each other.

Old 04-03-2015, 06:01 PM
Banned

Re: A Cult vs. A Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by good samaritan View Post
know what?
how do you know that there are some fundamentals that cannot be improved upon? Of course, this would depend upon your meaning here, what you had in mind; but it is my position that the church has proceeded from a series of poor premises, handed down by the RCC mostly...and that what many might consider "fundamentals" are fruitless kindling, imo...
Old 04-03-2015, 06:02 PM
Registered Member

prayer, fasting, study, consecration........
Old 04-03-2015, 06:10 PM
Banned

yes, those premises cannot be assailed, i don't think.
Old 04-03-2015, 06:18 PM
Registered Member

God so many times uses the flops of mankind to work his will. I know things aren't perfect, but God is working in the midst of it. I want to be all I can be. I can't speak for all of Christendom, but as for me and my house. I am sure there are some things we do because of tradition such as 10 A.M. Sunday Service, but I really think a lot of things are really none issues. So that we are doing the weightier matters.

I emphasize church attendance too. It don't have anything to do with four walls, but there is a human element to church att. It is discouraging to come to church and no one to be there. It hurts people's morale to minister through the week and not see fruit from it. I am excited about this Sunday's Easter service. Looking forward to guests and I pray that people will give their heart to God.

I believe you don't celebrate Easter. You may be right in some of your teaching, but we are using the day to place focus on the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Yes it is tradition, but God many times probably has worked through it. I have probably drifted off point, anyway.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:39 PM
Banned

hmm, you might actually have nailed the point, imo. "Easter" to me is rolling eggs and bunnies, and other fertility rites; but i initially came to Christ in just such a church. Most of what we do is prolly vanity, anyway, if it isn't loving one's neighbor. It's comforting to imagine that one's Government is acting outside the will of believers, when it is in fact doing just what it can get away with because of those people. So, we have at least these two indicators of fruit to compare...and i'm not sure that they ever do not exist simultaneously, on this world.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:02 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
It's comforting to imagine that one's Government is acting outside the will of believers, when it is in fact doing just what it can get away with because of those people. So, we have at least these two indicators of fruit to compare...and i'm not sure that they ever do not exist simultaneously, on this world.
Could you simplify this part. I really am not understanding the meaning.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:11 PM
Banned

ha well, we are all trapped in a cult, if "If those who are called by my name will hear my voice, and repent, I will heal their land" is true. This verse indicates that it is the believers in a nation that are represented by its leaders.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:05 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

I believe you don't celebrate Easter. You may be right in some of your teaching, but we are using the day to place focus on the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Yes it is tradition, but God many times probably has worked through it. I have probably drifted off point, anyway.
The original easter egg laying animal was a fox and not a rabbit. (google is your friend)

The title "fox" is same name that Jesus called Herod who along with his friends attended the pagan "Easter" in Acts while the servants of God observed Passover !

Just saying...........
Old 04-03-2015, 11:48 PM
Registered Member

Although, I don't have a problem with children Easter egg hunting, I have never taught a Easter bunny or fox. Easter is taught to remember the resurrection of Jesus Christ and it is not limited to one day a year. The word Easter is used in the K.J.V. bible so I think that we are safe to recognize the day (Acts 12:4). If for you Easter glorifies these Pagan gods then it definitely is wrong, but Easter for me personally is all about the resurrection. I am sure all kinds of things may have shaped the traditional view of Easter, but for me it is about Jesus. I think people need to be honest with their children while at the same time they can make good memories that they can later associate with their early days of living for God. I have grown up in church and have fond memories of Christmas, Easter, etc. and they have always been christian for me. I think these holidays may have roots from different places, but mostly it has become a tradition in Christianity that will probably not make or break anything. I encourage all to follow their convictions and wouldn't wish to cast a stumbling block in front of anyone.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:25 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Although, I don't have a problem with children Easter egg hunting, I have never taught a Easter bunny or fox. Easter is taught to remember the resurrection of Jesus Christ and it is not limited to one day a year. The word Easter is used in the K.J.V. bible so I think that we are safe to recognize the day (Acts 12:4). If for you Easter glorifies these Pagan gods then it definitely is wrong, but Easter for me personally is all about the resurrection. I am sure all kinds of things may have shaped the traditional view of Easter, but for me it is about Jesus. I think people need to be honest with their children while at the same time they can make good memories that they can later associate with their early days of living for God. I have grown up in church and have fond memories of Christmas, Easter, etc. and they have always been christian for me. I think these holidays may have roots from different places, but mostly it has become a tradition in Christianity that will probably not make or break anything. I encourage all to follow their convictions and wouldn't wish to cast a stumbling block in front of anyone.
Once one lie makes its way into our minds and worship it opens the door for more

The problem I have with Easter and Christmas is it takes Christians away from understanding why Jesus was born, killed, and resurrected when He was. Consequently Him becoming the Passover lamb, Pentecost being the time for the spirit of the God's Law to be written on our hearts, as well as the birth of Christ atTabernacles) and His conception at Hanukah for the temple cleansing never enters the hearts and minds of His Body today.

After all the apostles observing the feasts was not them paying tribute to the jews but honoring our Father in Heaven.

This is an eample of what happens when Christians are worshipping in Spirit and in truth.

At the end of december of last year (29th) I was informed that multiple X-Rays taken of my shoulders and neck following a kiteboarding incident had "accidentally" revealed extensive cancer in both lungs.The radiologist reports were terrible and at this point I was discharged from the orthopedic section of the VA. Basically I was told in so many words if I survived the cancer I could come back to physical therapy for help dealing with neck and upper back pain. Because the radiologist had first raised the alarm in his notes long before i was informed, my situation was well known and my primary care doctor who IMO either never read the reports or chose not to act on them was transferred (at least this is what I was told had happened to her)

If anyone deserved cancer I did having only quit smoking less than two years ago after over 40 years of smoking enough to kill ten persons. Still, I was embarrassed and ashamed after writing a book that condemns churches where cancer is not being healed (without medical intervention). I felt as if satan was laughing at me and even though I have witnessed miracles after praying for others, I did not know what to say to God. All I could think of to ask Him was somehow my situation glorify Him, and please do not let me turn weak and recant anything of what He gave me to write.

I only had one person I felt comfortable with asking to lift up my situation to God who along with some of his Bible class students (who are taught what is in my book) did so while I was back at the VA seeing a new doctor the next day.

Although I had recently lost about 20 pounds, with all that had happened and me looking at least ten years younger than I am while appearing to be very healthy, I was the topic of conversation with several of the nurses. I could tell my new doctor not only felt bad for me but was also professionally upset over the whole situation.

I already made it clear that either God healed me or I would die because my mother who worshipped Jesus every day of her life died of liver and lung cancer. Consequently, I knew what was in store for me if I tried to do things their way. His position was clear that he would not say anything about my options until he saw a report on all of my lungs and not just the top parts of them that were showing up in other pictures. So for the 4th time in less than 6 months I was sent back to X-Ray.

As I sat in the waiting room for the next few hours I watched a number of doctors walk in and out of His office with Him but he only looked at me once. I had woken up under a death sentence that morning, and as expected I was not a happy camper. There were persons I purposely did not call to tell what was up because I knew they would be hurt by the news that might effect my own emotional resolve.

Finally I got called in and rather than him remain behind his desk he pulls his chair up to mine and removes his glasses to wipe a tear from his eye. He then told me all of his staff associates and the doctors from radiology were unanimous in their agreemnet with his conclusion that despite mulptiple pictures taken at diferent times that revealed cancer in both lungs, as of that moment both of my lungs were completly cancer free.........., Praise the Lord

That was when I realized what the tear was about and all I can say is I have never seen a doctor show emotion the way he did. Incidentally I see him again on the 16th of this month.......... I am looking forward to it.

I give E-books away for free albeit there is always a price involved when we learn about the things of God. If you want one PM me an e-mail address

Doug

Last edited by Livelystone; 04-04-2015 at 09:20 AM. Reason: grammar