Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Deep Waters
Facebook

Notices

Deep Waters 'Deep Calleth Unto Deep ' -The place to go for Ministry discussions. Please keep it civil. Remember to discuss the issues, not each other.

Old 04-03-2015, 02:31 PM
Administrator

The title "Son of Man"

I would like to ask any interested parties what the relationship is between God's use of the title "Son of Man" in Ezekiel for the prophet, and the Lord's use of the title for Himself in the Gospels?

Any ideas? I've been ruminating for awhile on this and I feel God is trying to speak to me, and I thought reaching out to others for their input may be the means through which His voice will be discerned.

Peace and God bless,

Aaron

http://votivesoul.wordpress.com/
Old 04-03-2015, 02:33 PM
Registered Member

Re: The title "Son of Man"

It is the one title satan hates, and never uses, because it shows Christ's kinship to mankind. The devil won't forget "the seed of the woman shall bruise thy head." Satan never used that term. And the spirit of antichrist refuses to accept God came IN THE FLESH for the same reason.

Boaz had to be kin to Ruth's dead husband to "redeem" her. Jesus had to be KIN to redeem us, so had to be SON OF MAN.

Not a connection with Ezekiel, though. But something I thought to add.

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."

Last edited by mfblume; 04-03-2015 at 02:44 PM.
Old 04-03-2015, 02:45 PM
Registered Member

I believe in some sense Ezekiel represented Jesus in foreshadowing terms. He was sent to rebellious people like Jesus was.

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."
Old 04-03-2015, 03:45 PM
Registered Member

I do not see any thing of comparative significance. The letter "S" appears in the upper case of Ezekiel 1:2 because it is the first word of a sentence or statement, just as the letter "W" appears in the same manner as the first word of that proclamation which Ezekiel was to deliver to the children of Israel.

Again the word of the Lord came unto me, saying,

Son of man, speak to the children of thy people, and say unto them, When I bring the sword upon a land, if the people of the land take a man of their coasts, and set him for their watchman:
Old 04-03-2015, 06:25 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfblume View Post
It is the one title satan hates, and never uses, because it shows Christ's kinship to mankind. The devil won't forget "the seed of the woman shall bruise thy head." Satan never used that term. And the spirit of antichrist refuses to accept God came IN THE FLESH for the same reason.

Boaz had to be kin to Ruth's dead husband to "redeem" her. Jesus had to be KIN to redeem us, so had to be SON OF MAN.

Not a connection with Ezekiel, though. But something I thought to add.
Great observation, and well stated!
Old 04-03-2015, 07:14 PM
Registered Member

Good question.

"Son of man" is a term not limited to the literature of the Bible. So a better questions would be "What does the term Son of Man mean in the literature of the ancient near east ? How many authors of the Bible used it ? Was it used in the books of the dead seas scrolls ?

I do not know the answer.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:21 PM
Banned

interesting. i haven't come across the term outside of the Bible; but then i've read zero "classics." where else is it used?
Old 04-03-2015, 07:46 PM
Registered Member

If it is found in both testaments, it is most likely to be found other Semitic literature

It does not seem to appear in the DSS.

Last edited by Scott Pitta; 04-03-2015 at 08:12 PM.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:40 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Pitta View Post
Good question.

"Son of man" is a term not limited to the literature of the Bible. So a better questions would be "What does the term Son of Man mean in the literature of the ancient near east ? How many authors of the Bible used it ? Was it used in the books of the dead seas scrolls ?

I do not know the answer.
Good thought!

Old 04-03-2015, 09:20 PM
Banned

Wikipedia to the--ahem--rescue
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Son_of_man