Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Deep Waters
Facebook

Notices

Deep Waters 'Deep Calleth Unto Deep ' -The place to go for Ministry discussions. Please keep it civil. Remember to discuss the issues, not each other.

View Poll Results: Do you think its okay to watch TV
Yes 8 61.54%
NO 5 38.46%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-22-2015, 09:51 AM
Registered Member

Watching TV?

Do you think you can still watch tv, and take in all that evil, and still have a walk with the lord?

If yes, can you support your stance with scripture.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:54 AM
Registered Member

Re: Watching TV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThyKingdomCome View Post
Do you think you can still watch tv, and take in all that evil, and still have a walk with the lord?

If yes, can you support your stance with scripture.
Do you think you can still read the news, walk in a mall, go to city park or amusement park, take in all that evil, and still have a walk with the Lord?

Old 04-22-2015, 10:20 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n david View Post
Do you think you can still read the news, walk in a mall, go to city park or amusement park, take in all that evil, and still have a walk with the Lord?

I don't read news, except the 'good news', Don't go to amusement parks, and city parks are a great place to witness to people.
But that's not what this topic is about.
Do you think its okay to watch TV?
Old 04-22-2015, 10:30 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
I don't read news, except the 'good news', Don't go to amusement parks, and city parks are a great place to witness to people.
But that's not what this topic is about.
Do you think its okay to watch TV?
Sure it's okay to watch tv. Just as it's okay to use the internet.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:48 AM
Registered Member

Actually there are lots of sites on the internet you don't want to go to aren't there? But you can control what sites you go to. Can you control what advertisements are on your tv during commercials?
My Bible says in Psalm 101:3
I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; it shall not cleave to me.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:55 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Actually there are lots of sites on the internet you don't want to go to aren't there? But you can control what sites you go to. Can you control what advertisements are on your tv during commercials?
My Bible says in Psalm 101:3
I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; it shall not cleave to me.
There's this amazing device which allows a viewer to control the television set. You can turn it off and on, you can raise or lower the volume, and you can even change the channel if you so desire.

BTW, you may control what websites you go to online, but you cannot control the ads and links on those websites.

Your reference could as easily be applied to the internet, going to the park where women are sunbathing in bikini's, even going to a restaurant.
Old 04-22-2015, 12:23 PM
Registered Member

Television has caused great harm to our nation. I don't think that t.v. itself it is a sin, but has been a strong avenue for it. It definitely depends what you are watching, but it has probably caused greater harm than good. I believe it has influenced our culture to what has become the norms in this society. It has curved our thinking concerning modesty, family, violence, fidelity, etc. Television has numbed many to sins of immorality.

There are probably a lot of things we will give an account for that isn't scriptural, but the Holy Ghost has led us away from such lifestyles. In a nutshell I don't condemn the tube, but people should work out their salvation with fear and trembling. I believe people must have balance in life. Be careful of what and how much you partake of. Garbage in-garbage out.
Old 04-22-2015, 12:25 PM
On the road less traveled

Quote:
Originally Posted by n david View Post
There's this amazing device which allows a viewer to control the television set. You can turn it off and on, you can raise or lower the volume, and you can even change the channel if you so desire.

BTW, you may control what websites you go to online, but you cannot control the ads and links on those websites.

Your reference could as easily be applied to the internet, going to the park where women are sunbathing in bikini's, even going to a restaurant.

Being led of the spirit is key here. You can't ban everything that is "evil" set before your eyes - how about just driving down a city interstate, everything evil is displayed on banner boards as you drive. You can't go to the mall, a restaurant, or anywhere in this world really without seeing something "evil".

There is a saying though - you can't help a bird flying over your head, but you can prevent him from building a nest on your head. Same logic here. You can't prevent or keep evil influences from being around you, but you can avoid allowing those evil influences to overtake you and consume you.

A smartphone is much more dangerous and full of evil things than a television ever could be. If you are still worried about a TV, you are lost in the 50s, really. Get a grip. TV has a lot of bad things on it, but what about your smartphone?

It boils down to one thing - you. Where you go, what you listen to, what YOU do with your eyes is the problem - not necessarily the TV.

To answer your question - we don't have a TV service. We watch an occasional movie that is a documentary or educational. I don't have a smart phone, and don't want one. I believe personal accountability is the issue here, and not focusing on "TV".
Old 04-22-2015, 12:35 PM
Registered Member

I think individual families should prayerfully decide for themselves what they will and will not allow in the home. As has been already if you explicitly call out t.v. to be a sin then you would have to start naming other things. You would probably do more harm than good trying to push such standards. There are applicable principles in scripture I think we should place the focus on. If t.v is a sin every television evangelist would be a sinner and ever news and weather broadcaster couldn't be a christian and keep such a job. lol
Old 04-22-2015, 12:45 PM
On the road less traveled

Quote:
Originally Posted by good samaritan View Post
I think individual families should prayerfully decide for themselves what they will and will not allow in the home. As has been already if you explicitly call out t.v. to be a sin then you would have to start naming other things. You would probably do more harm than good trying to push such standards. There are applicable principles in scripture I think we should place the focus on. If t.v is a sin every television evangelist would be a sinner and ever news and weather broadcaster couldn't be a christian and keep such a job. lol
Exactly. When you start "naming sins", things get very complicated quick. Preachers who think TV is bad, should be preaching against computers, smartphones, and driving down the interstates and going to the local parks, lol!

A much better way to handle the flesh nature is to teach accountability to God for where you are, what you are doing, how you are spending your time, instead of trying to "police" everyone.