Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 05-01-2014, 11:28 AM
Renewed

Re: You Can Fake It All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reader View Post
IN CONTEXT:

14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

15 And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?

16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you.

18 And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.

It concerns being unequally yoked with unbelievers.
Yes. And what exactly does that mean to you?
You can't reach the world with your talents. People are sick and tired of religious talents. People need a Holy Ghost annointed church with real fruits to reach out and touch their lives. ~ Pastor Burrell Crabtree

In fact I think that the insinuation of "hateful" Pentecostals is coming mostly from the fertile imaginations of bitter, backslidden ex Apostolics who are constantly trying to find a way to justify their actions. ~ strait shooter

www.scottysweb.com
www.chrisscottonline.com
Old 05-01-2014, 11:41 AM
Renewed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILG View Post
Okay but, two things.

For example, some might interpret using the following of the "rules" (whatever the sect interprets that as) of the Bible as being held higher than God's directives to a person and that a person should not idolize the "rules" to that extent.
That is so far out there I'm not sure how to answer.

Quote:
2. Can you find two directives for the New Testament church to be separate? Or is this the only verse in the New Testament that speaks of such to the church?
Do we need more than one?

"And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them" (Eph. 5:11)

'Lo those who do not abide in the doctrine of Christ, he is guilty of sin: "Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. fie that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son. If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed: for he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds" (2 Jn. 9-11)
You can't reach the world with your talents. People are sick and tired of religious talents. People need a Holy Ghost annointed church with real fruits to reach out and touch their lives. ~ Pastor Burrell Crabtree

In fact I think that the insinuation of "hateful" Pentecostals is coming mostly from the fertile imaginations of bitter, backslidden ex Apostolics who are constantly trying to find a way to justify their actions. ~ strait shooter

www.scottysweb.com
www.chrisscottonline.com
Old 05-01-2014, 11:42 AM
Registered Member

The church at Corinth was ripe with problems. Very carnal. At the beginning of the chapter it speaks of receiving the grace of God in vain. In the beginning of the letter and also after the passages in question were written, Paul speaks of a man he wrote about in his previous letter that was openly living in sin. Obviously the believers acted upon his letter.

It is not about dress codes or anything of that nature.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:45 AM
Don't ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty View Post
Yes. And what exactly does that mean to you?
Don't post on forums with them?
Hebrews 13:23 Know ye that our brother Timothy is set at liberty

More New Stuff in Timmy Talk!
My Countdown Counting down to: Rapture. Again.
Why am I not surprised?
Old 05-01-2014, 11:45 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
That is so far out there I'm not sure how to answer.
That's not far out there at all. It may be you have just never thought about it before.

Quote:
"And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them" (Eph. 5:11)

'Lo those who do not abide in the doctrine of Christ, he is guilty of sin: "Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. fie that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son. If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed: for he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds" (2 Jn. 9-11)
[/QUOTE]

These verses do not specifically mention "being separate". This is not talking about being separate like some sects do such as using it to make rules against the wearing of certain clothing or watching TV etc. This thread is about the making of rules to judge whether someone is "in" or "out". How would you apply the "be ye separate" verse (not verses because there aren't more) to the application of rules in a church body?

When I was young and clever, I wanted to change the world. Now that I am older and wiser, I strive to change myself. ~
Old 05-01-2014, 11:46 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
The church at Corinth was ripe with problems. Very carnal. At the beginning of the chapter it speaks of receiving the grace of God in vain. In the beginning of the letter and also after the passages in question were written, Paul speaks of a man he wrote about in his previous letter that was openly living in sin. Obviously the believers acted upon his letter.

Right!

When I was young and clever, I wanted to change the world. Now that I am older and wiser, I strive to change myself. ~
Old 05-01-2014, 11:52 AM
You used to call me Michlow

Quote:
ummmmm... "Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you."

2 Corinthians 6:17.. NT, written to the early church. (us)

Apparently you can fake knowledge of the scriptures too.
In verses 17 & 18 Paul is quoting the OT. ...As God Said... "...."
“There's such a lot of different Annes in me. I sometimes think that is why I'm such a troublesome person. If I was just the one Anne it would be ever so much more comfortable, but then it wouldn't be half so interesting.”

― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Old 05-01-2014, 12:20 PM
Renewed

Quote:

Paul had a reason for telling the Corinthians to "come out from among them" and be separate. The church at Corinth had some who were joining pagans in worshiping in their temples.

They were also listening to false teachers. Some denied the resurrection (see 1 Cor. 15). Paul warned against their influence in the Christian church: "Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners" (1 Cor. 15:33). Some were led astray by the Judaizers (see 2 Cor. 3). Unfortunately, the Corinthians were receiving some of these false apostles (2 Cor. 11:4)

Whether or not it is about dress codes or "things of that nature" is up to the interpreter. Guess it depends on what "things of that nature" covers. I think it is obvious though that the main point was not to be associated with such. Whether or not that covers dressing like the world or "things of that nature" might again be up to the interpreter.

www.scottysweb.com
www.chrisscottonline.com
Old 05-01-2014, 12:26 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Whether or not it is about dress codes or "things of that nature" is up to the interpreter. Guess it depends on what "things of that nature" covers. I think it is obvious though that the main point was not to be associated with such. Whether or not that covers dressing like the world or "things of that nature" might again be up to the interpreter. [/COLOR][/B]
If it is up to the interpreter, should it be used as a measure of spirituality?

Old 05-01-2014, 12:30 PM
Renewed

Quote:
These verses do not specifically mention "being separate". This is not talking about being separate like some sects do such as using it to make rules against the wearing of certain clothing or watching TV etc. This thread is about the making of rules to judge whether someone is "in" or "out". How would you apply the "be ye separate" verse (not verses because there aren't more) to the application of rules in a church body?
Specifically? Like as in how the bible "specifically" says cigarettes are bad for you?

"have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness"... don't fellowship with them, separate yourself from them, get away from them. It's pretty obvious.

"If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed: Your to have nothing to do with them. Separate yourself. It's pretty simple.

I know what the "thread" is about. I was just addressing the question asked a couple of pages ago.

www.scottysweb.com
www.chrisscottonline.com