Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Foyer > The Information Station > Tech Talk: with Bit & Byte
Facebook

Notices

Tech Talk: with Bit & Byte For all those that speak Geek & Greek among us! Or for those technically challenged who don't!

Old 03-05-2007, 06:49 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammondb3klingon1 View Post
If you use Linux or UNIX on your home system, sound of. Flavour, What you like/dislike, do you develop software for one or both platforms?, are you a user, power user, or super user? Favourite utils ?? etc...

Me
2 vista boxes - Windoze - Outside the topic of this thread
2 linux boxes - SUSE , Debian
1 UNIX box - SOLARIS(Open Solaris -> Belinix)

Favorites.
Suse for ease of use for browsing ...
Debian for better utils(Suse may have the utils but I just have not used them)
Belinix - SWEEEEETTTTT!!!

I develop software sometimes. Primarily for embedded linux

Favorite utils GCC of course

Language : asm, c++, c#(mono)

No php or anything like that. I leave that to the smart people.
Why is PHP left to smart people as opposed to C++ or C# (what is asm? Is that like a dinosaur language ?)
Old 03-05-2007, 06:59 PM
hammondb3klingon1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
Why is PHP left to smart people as opposed to C++ or C# (what is asm? Is that like a dinosaur language ?)

Asm is still used in many embedded systems. PHP is something I do not pretend to use or understand. C++ makes sense to me and I do claim to be smart
Old 03-07-2007, 06:36 PM
*sigh*

Quote:
Asm is still used in many embedded systems. PHP is something I do not pretend to use or understand. C++ makes sense to me and I do claim to be smart
I haven't used Asm since navy a school in the early 80's. I understand Php, it really isn't that far removed from C++. What I am interested in learning for the web is Ruby http://www.rubyonrails.org/

Most my programming these days is done in MCode, a proprietary language for IMS Motion conttrollers. I literally wrote the book on it. http://imshome.com/Product%20Manual%20PDF/MCode.pdf

I have no interest at all in microsoft technologies like .net and asp. I played around alot with MS Basic and Visual basic a loooong time ago.

I still say MS has the best desktop platform, if for no other reason than industry support.

Vista dumped on me an hour ago in the middle of a Photoshop edit and cost me 20 minutes work. It took me 3 reboots to get my MS wireless mouse and key board working again.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:21 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Atkinson View Post
I haven't used Asm since navy a school in the early 80's. I understand Php, it really isn't that far removed from C++. What I am interested in learning for the web is Ruby http://www.rubyonrails.org/

Most my programming these days is done in MCode, a proprietary language for IMS Motion conttrollers. I literally wrote the book on it. http://imshome.com/Product%20Manual%20PDF/MCode.pdf

I have no interest at all in microsoft technologies like .net and asp. I played around alot with MS Basic and Visual basic a loooong time ago.

I still say MS has the best desktop platform, if for no other reason than industry support.

Vista dumped on me an hour ago in the middle of a Photoshop edit and cost me 20 minutes work. It took me 3 reboots to get my MS wireless mouse and key board working again.
PHP doesn't need a compiler right?..BTW isn't RUBY on Rails really just PHP...I mean it's not an actual new programming language is it?
Old 03-07-2007, 07:35 PM

I lost most if not all my tech books in a flood in the garage last october (hotwater heater let loose). I had PHP reference, many books from Sams and I think I had a book or two on Ruby.

Old 03-07-2007, 08:30 PM
*sigh*

Quote:
PHP doesn't need a compiler right?..BTW isn't RUBY on Rails really just PHP...I mean it's not an actual new programming language is it?
it's new, and it's friendly and forgiving, something php is not
Old 03-07-2007, 08:31 PM
*sigh*

Quote:
no, no compiler needed. It parses through the php engine running on the server through apache or iis.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:47 PM
hammondb3klingon1

never touched ruby. I understand it is more of a GL4/5 which means rad for the desktop. Do you know if it can't be used in the embedded environ?
Old 03-14-2007, 04:43 PM
*sigh*

Quote:
never touched ruby. I understand it is more of a GL4/5 which means rad for the desktop. Do you know if it can't be used in the embedded environ?
My understanding is that it is only a couple years old and is only for web applications, no embedding.