Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Newsroom > Political Talk
Facebook

Notices

Political Talk Political News

Old 01-17-2018, 08:28 AM
Banned

Can a plant be a "spirit"?

I was in a discussion with a good friend the other day about the current trends in legalization involving the medicinal use and the recreational use of marijuana. He mentioned something that I've always heard, but I've never seen any Scripture. He said, "marijuana is a spirit". I've been studying my Bible on this for the past couple days and I've not found any place wherein Satan has created a plant or herb. Nor have I found anything indicating that evil spirits have transformed themselves into any plants or herbs. What I did find was that God appears to be the creator of all plants and herbs:
Genesis 1:11-12 King James Version (KJV)
11 And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so.
12 And the earth brought forth grass, and herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed was in itself, after his kind: and God saw that it was good.
I also discovered that it appears that God has given man free reign to use various plants and herbs for consumption:
Genesis 1:29 King James Version (KJV)
And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.
Can anyone provide a Scripture indicating that this plant is a "spirit"?

Is it possible that the church has been overreacting regarding this plant?

Could legalization for medicinal purposes be more in line with Scripture?

Please share any thoughts, insights, or Scriptures relating to the prohibition or legalization of this plant.
Please also share any thoughts, insights, or Scriptures relating this plant's creation, purpose, use, and if this plant is a "spirit" or not.

Thanks.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:44 AM
Banned

Re: Can a plant be a "spirit"?

It is not a "spirit", but an incoherent.

It has mind numbing effects, which folks in pain need to help their suffering.

I am not opposed to pain killers when pain is intense.

My kidney stone 4 years ago made me clear on that....LOL
Old 01-17-2018, 09:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
It is not a "spirit", but an incoherent.

It has mind numbing effects, which folks in pain need to help their suffering.

I am not opposed to pain killers when pain is intense.

My kidney stone 4 years ago made me clear on that....LOL
I too see it as an intoxicant that can be used to help individuals with various conditions and anxiety disorders. But, as with anything (prescription drugs, food, sex, superglue), it can be abused.

I'd recommend approaching its use the way we'd approach alcohol. Drunkenness is a sin. If one is so intoxicated that they cannot stand or remember their name, they have clearly sinned, regardless as to if the intoxicant was with alcohol or weed.

From a political perspective, I think the prohibition of this plant is getting silly. The prohibition of this is costing lives (cops and criminals), ruining lives (through criminal charges and prison time), and costing an unbelievable amount of money to police. No one has ever died from an overdose of weed. And typically those who have over done it are not violent. They are real calm, often eat a full bag of Doritos and an entire box of doughnuts while watching Mystery Science Theater as they giggle and laugh like goof-balls, and then they fall asleep. I have alcoholics in my family. I'd rather deal with a stoner over an alcoholic any day.

I'm for legalization. I believe we should move full bore into studying its medicinal properties. This could lead to ground breaking medications and treatments. We can also tax it, sell it, and regulate its use like we do wine and spirits. This would generate revenue, end the blood bath over this weed in the drug war, tear the floor out of the black market value of the plant, bring advances in medicine, and expand human liberty where no life and/or property is in danger.

It's a plant. An herb. God made it and God said, "I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat." It's time we realize that, like wine and so many other herbs that actually help the body, it is a gift from God.

Some scholars believe that the "kaneh-bosm" as mentioned in Scripture is the "cannabos" (cannabis) mentioned in the Talmud. If so, it would have been an ingredient the holy incense and the holy anointing oil that was administered to the priests, to bless objects, and the sick.

Last edited by Aquila; 01-17-2018 at 09:24 AM.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:25 AM
Covenant Apostolic

Marijuana overactivates parts of the brain that contain the highest number of these receptors. This causes the "high" that people feel.

Other effects include:
altered senses (for example, seeing brighter colors)
altered sense of time
changes in mood
impaired body movement
difficulty with thinking and problem-solving
impaired memory
hallucinations (when taken in high doses)
delusions (when taken in high doses)
psychosis (when taken in high doses)
lowered IQ
increase in mental illness
lower life satisfaction
poorer mental health
poorer physical health
more relationship problems

https://www.drugabuse.gov/publicatio...acts/marijuana
Old 01-17-2018, 09:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
I'd recommend approaching its use the way we'd approach alcohol. Drunkenness is a sin. If one is so intoxicated that they cannot stand or remember their name, they have clearly sinned, regardless as to if the intoxicant was with alcohol or weed.

That is how I see it also.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:29 AM
Banned

Quote:

Michael Savage says a high percentage of folks have this reaction.

I have a relative that got that way, and could smoke massive amounts at a time.

Thank God he stopped.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:12 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
It's a plant. An herb.

it is a gift from God.
Opium?
Cocaine?

And further down the drain we go.

Old 01-17-2018, 10:31 AM
Covenant Apostolic

using marijuana could fall under Galatians 5:19-21

19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

-------------------------------

Lexicon :: Strong's G5331 – pharmakeia
φαρμακεία
pharmakeia
From φαρμακεύς (G5332)
†φαρμακεία pharmakeía, far-mak-i'-ah; from G5332; medication ("pharmacy"), i.e. (by extension) magic (literally or figuratively):—sorcery, witchcraft.

Last edited by Amanah; 01-17-2018 at 10:48 AM.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:03 AM
J.esus i.s t.he o.ne God (463)

Quote:
Originally Posted by n david View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
It's a plant. An herb.

it is a gift from God.
Opium?
Cocaine?

And further down the drain we go.

Arsenic is natural, which means God created it as well. Funny how no one suggests ingesting that.

Sometimes hidden dangers spring on us suddenly. Those are out of our control. But when one can see the danger, and then refuses to arrest , all in the name of "God is in control", they are forfeiting God given, preventive opportunities.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanah View Post
Marijuana overactivates parts of the brain that contain the highest number of these receptors. This causes the "high" that people feel.

Other effects include:
altered senses (for example, seeing brighter colors)
altered sense of time
changes in mood
impaired body movement
difficulty with thinking and problem-solving
impaired memory
hallucinations (when taken in high doses)
delusions (when taken in high doses)
lowered IQ
increase in mental illness
lower life satisfaction
poorer mental health
poorer physical health
more relationship problems

https://www.drugabuse.gov/publicatio...acts/marijuana
Drugabuse."GOV".

And we can be sure that the government is being completely honest with us, right?

Have you ever been high? lol

Last edited by Aquila; 01-17-2018 at 03:28 PM.