Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The D.A.'s Office
Facebook

Notices

The D.A.'s Office The views expressed in this forum are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of AFF or the Admin of AFF.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:31 PM
Go Dodgers!

Re: Mark Johnston Drops from UPCI, Garner Next???

BTW is Richard Gazowsky still licensed?

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:00 PM
Banned

Re: Mark Johnston Drops from UPCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacon blues View Post
The last BOTT I attended MJ preached a fine message about Jesus. In fact I was beginning to regret attending the conference until that message. I knew God sent me there to specifically hear that Word from the Lord. I was dumbstruck that people were offended at the message. The sermon basically said that Jesus was what this is all about. That people "would see Jesus". That the only people who got in the way of people who wanted to see Jesus were the Pharisees. MJ preached if we want people to see Jesus we have to fight against a Pharisee spirit. I was in complete agreement. I was convicted to fight the Pharisee in me. I believe all people of faith have the potential to become religious, self-righteous, steeped in tradition, hypocritical Pharisees. I took the message personal and embraced its truth. Others evidently took it personal and were offended. It was the beginning of the crucifixion of MJ.

Funny thing. You would think the "Jesus Only" people, the "people of the Name", the people with the great revelation of who Jesus is would rejoice at such a message. But I guess the Pharisee part hit a little close to home for some and they didn't like the reflection in the looking glass of the Word. They decided to forget what manner of man they saw in that reflection.

And, as history bears out millions of times before, the messenger is targeted, despised, marginalized, defamed, deemed dangerous and toxic. Strange that preaching Jesus, the blood and the cross makes someone a pariah. Preach anything, but don't preach Jesus! There's no other choice. Preach for the praise of men or preach for the applause of heaven.

Burning at the stake, hanging, drowning, firing squad, excommunication, kicked out, pressured out, starved out, crucified, whatever---the end result is the same. The Machine will destroy you. Okay a little dramatic, but you get the picture. MJ will do fine. He's a good man and will keep preaching Jesus. A good church will continue to move forward.

For those of you that want to preach Jesus for those who would see Jesus, keep on keepin on. But be warned, hell takes notice of the Jesus Preachers. Be vigilant, be alert. But take heart: the gates of hell will not prevail.
I remember that message. Stirring!!!!

MJ went out with a bang... this prime-time message, and then the General Conference "I'd Rather Be a Hero (to one) Than a Celebrity (to thousands)."
Old 01-27-2011, 04:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
Old 01-27-2011, 04:34 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelathais View Post
http://www.yourjourney.tv/#/who-we-are/pastors

dunno about how raspy his voice is lately, however.
I watched the commercial for "The Journey" and am not surprsed these guys are leaving the UPC. Nothing I saw in that video "looked" UPC and in the Mothership looks are a huge part.

It is interesting how hard it is for most traditional Oneness Pentecostals to even consider a different paradigm of church than church as something you dress up to the hilt for.

I had this discussion with a UPC relative a few months ago. She thinks it is terrible that a Preacher would preach without a suit and people would go to church dressed casually. She honestly sees it as disrespect to God. Believes the old mantra that you must dress up for church to "offer God your best",etc,etc.

I tried to explain to her that these people were not disrespecting God but looked at their relationship with him as more friend than someone you had to dress up for to impress.
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"
Old 01-27-2011, 04:53 PM
Accepts all friends requests

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegsm76 View Post
Pel - I don't think you can hang this one on him. I believe that what he meant to happen with the org was stopped by the way NAU handled the affirmation statement.
I think this goes right back to the TV vote, which so far has appeared to be more of a symbolic vote.
This led to the loss of some far right churches, which then resulted in the entire org moving further to the right. Now you have the reaction from the more left-leaning churches who are not happy.
Sort of an interesting study in group org politics and I would like for someone to complete an in-depth look at it, with some facts and figures.
Yes, while I agree (I think we agree) and I don't think the events under discussion are directly related at all to the 1992 resolution brouhaha; the spirits and the attitudes do resemble one another, IMHO anyway.

When I heard Bro. Westberg say that, it wasn't just in the context of the '92 resolution, though it was just before that conference. It was said in the context of of ... and you other guys that are lurking, maybe you can help me out ... but the context was, "Every movement needs to have a bowel movement every now and then..."

This attitude just strikes me as being emblematic of the whole mentality behind the radicals in the UPC/Apostolic movement. CW's open letter condemning his "neighbor" MJ can be seen in the same light.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:23 PM
Accepts all friends requests

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
I heard he was "certified."

Old 01-27-2011, 05:27 PM
Freedom@apostolicidentity .com

Re: Mark Johnston Drops from UPCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socialite View Post
I remember that message. Stirring!!!!

MJ went out with a bang... this prime-time message, and then the General Conference "I'd Rather Be a Hero (to one) Than a Celebrity (to thousands)."
Dude's my hero!
Old 01-27-2011, 05:29 PM
Banned

Of course MJ was the scapegoat for many WPF preachers, who scoffed at the UPC for what they considered "their future posterboys." So they rolled out their campaign song, "A Preferred Apostolic Future."
Old 01-27-2011, 05:33 PM
Freedom@apostolicidentity .com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socialite View Post
Of course MJ was the scapegoat for many WPF preachers, who scoffed at the UPC for what they considered "their future posterboys." So they rolled out their campaign song, "A Preferred Apostolic Future."
E Tu Chester?
Old 01-27-2011, 05:34 PM
Love God, Love Your Neighbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charnock View Post
I recently let my license drop.

I know of six other ministers whom I am close to in both age and ideology who have done the same.

They're sick of it.
Sick of what?