Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Homestead > Chef's Corner
Facebook

Notices

Chef's Corner Every Cook's favorite place! Post your recipes, share your cooking tips and ideas, etc.

Old 10-30-2015, 05:55 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Best way to smoke a roast?

Well? Best way to cook a roast on a smoker/grill?

Best marinade, seasonings, time, tips, etc?

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 10-30-2015, 10:14 PM
On the road less traveled

Re: Best way to smoke a roast?

Hmm, one of the administrators that used to post here a lot, Miss Brattified, her husband was an accomplished grill master, and he may have even published a book, I can't remember for sure though.

Anyway, if you have some time, you might look back through some old food threads on here, because I do believe she shared some of his recipes or techniques.

For me... it takes so much work babysitting the smoker, that now I just "smoke" my meat in the oven. I marinate the meat for at least 24 hours in some salt and liquid smoke. Then when ready to cook, I add some beef broth, about 1/2 cup to 1 cup or so, and cover it tightly with tin foil. Bake the meat very slowly in a 200 oven for about 6-8 hours or until the meat falls apart and is fork tender. I have used a London Broil piece of meat, instead of a brisket, and that worked really well.

Happy smoking!
Old 10-30-2015, 11:28 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

6-8 hours? This evening I cooked two nice sized roasts on the grill in about an hour and a half (cooked them longer than usual because we may have some guests tomorrow who don't like 'rare' roast beef).

I used a quick marinade of white vinegar, sunflower oil, lots of garlic powder, 'italian seasoning' mix (basil, oregano, thyme, rosemary, maybe something else??), salt, and lost of black pepper. Cooked over pecan wood chunks. I threw them on the grill while it still had some flame going (the oil marinade caused an immediate inferno lol) to sear them on both sides, then closed the lid and let them smoke/grill for the rest of the time, flipping them over twice.

Usually I cook a roast for about 45 minutes on the grill, I like my beef rare on the inside and seared on the outside. There is NOTHING like fried, blackened beef fat on a nice, juicy rare to medium-rare slab of seasoned, smoked, grilled, beef! Makes a roast into a giant steak, lol.

Anyway, the marinade was a good touch but I did not have time to really let it soak first (only had about 20-30 minutes soaking before going on the grill). I brushed the marinade on every time I turned them, and although the meat is good it isn't AWESOME (inside that is, the surface is mouth watering, the inside just tastes like smoked brisket, which isn't bad, just not AWESOME... I am looking for AWESOME. Did I mention I am trying to find an AWESOME way to cook a roast on the grill? lol).

Maybe Ferd will jump in here. I hear he likes to cook.

(Ever notice most Yankees don't have much to say about cooking food? It's all us Southrons... lol)

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 10-31-2015, 12:59 AM
Go Dodgers!

Ive never smoked meat but I always assumed from watching cooking shows, Id just use a dry rub and allow the long cooking process to tenderize the meat

BTW can you brine a roast?

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 10-31-2015, 08:45 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
6-8 hours? This evening I cooked two nice sized roasts on the grill in about an hour and a half (cooked them longer than usual because we may have some guests tomorrow who don't like 'rare' roast beef).

I used a quick marinade of white vinegar, sunflower oil, lots of garlic powder, 'italian seasoning' mix (basil, oregano, thyme, rosemary, maybe something else??), salt, and lost of black pepper. Cooked over pecan wood chunks. I threw them on the grill while it still had some flame going (the oil marinade caused an immediate inferno lol) to sear them on both sides, then closed the lid and let them smoke/grill for the rest of the time, flipping them over twice.

Usually I cook a roast for about 45 minutes on the grill, I like my beef rare on the inside and seared on the outside. There is NOTHING like fried, blackened beef fat on a nice, juicy rare to medium-rare slab of seasoned, smoked, grilled, beef! Makes a roast into a giant steak, lol.

Anyway, the marinade was a good touch but I did not have time to really let it soak first (only had about 20-30 minutes soaking before going on the grill). I brushed the marinade on every time I turned them, and although the meat is good it isn't AWESOME (inside that is, the surface is mouth watering, the inside just tastes like smoked brisket, which isn't bad, just not AWESOME... I am looking for AWESOME. Did I mention I am trying to find an AWESOME way to cook a roast on the grill? lol).

Maybe Ferd will jump in here. I hear he likes to cook.

(Ever notice most Yankees don't have much to say about cooking food? It's all us Southrons... lol)
White vinegar?

Please explain?
Old 10-31-2015, 08:46 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
Ive never smoked meat but I always assumed from watching cooking shows, Id just use a dry rub and allow the long cooking process to tenderize the meat

BTW can you brine a roast?
Brine a roast?

I don't see why not. I just don't know how it will come out, it might be ok, but I really don't know.
Old 10-31-2015, 11:11 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evang.Benincasa View Post
White vinegar?

Please explain?
You know, those big plastic bottles of 'white vinegar' at the grocery store? I take a big bowl, pour some vinegar in it, pour some oil in it, dump a metric boat load of seasonings into it, put the meat into it, and turn it every so often to make sure it all gets coated. Usually I will put it in the fridge for a couple hours, but this weekend I did not have enough time for that, so it only got to soak for about 20-30 minutes.

One of these:

Old 10-31-2015, 11:12 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evang.Benincasa View Post
Brine a roast?

I don't see why not. I just don't know how it will come out, it might be ok, but I really don't know.
Brine? Is that a California word for 'marinate'?

Old 11-03-2015, 08:12 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
You know, those big plastic bottles of 'white vinegar' at the grocery store? I take a big bowl, pour some vinegar in it, pour some oil in it, dump a metric boat load of seasonings into it, put the meat into it, and turn it every so often to make sure it all gets coated. Usually I will put it in the fridge for a couple hours, but this weekend I did not have enough time for that, so it only got to soak for about 20-30 minutes.

One of these:

That can't be good, I unclog drains with that stuff and clean floors.

I don't think it is for human consumption.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:50 PM
On the road less traveled

I use lemon juice in my marinades, however I doubt vinegar is harmful to you, unless in large or exaggerated quantities.

And when I make biscuits, I always add a bit of vinegar to the milk to sour the milk, and it makes the fluffiest, softest biscuits ever!