Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Playground > Sports Arena
Facebook

Notices

Sports Arena For all those who want to talk sports...


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 04-29-2014, 05:09 PM
Praxeas's Avatar
Praxeas Praxeas is offline
Go Dodgers!


 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 45,737
Re: NBA Owner Sterling

Quote:
Originally Posted by n david View Post
First, what the man said was wrong. I do not approve or agree with what he said. It was racism, plain and simple.

That said, is the lifetime ban from everything and the $2.5 million fine, along with the strong encouragement that the rest of the owners vote to take his ownership away appropriate or heavy handed?
aside from the ban, the money was pocket change and the Clippers and the NBA will NEED another owner. It's good business. Who wants to play for a white man that hates blacks?

He needs to go
__________________
Let it be understood that Apostolic Friends Forum is an Apostolic Forum.
Apostolic is defined on AFF as:


  1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-29-2014, 05:10 PM
Praxeas's Avatar
Praxeas Praxeas is offline
Go Dodgers!


 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 45,737
Re: NBA Owner Sterling

Quote:
Originally Posted by n david View Post
I listened to the presser.

1) IMO, the commish had to give the max, or face chaos. He sounded very uncomfortable. Didn't see it, but his voice was not confident at all.

.
It's his first big shin dig
__________________
Let it be understood that Apostolic Friends Forum is an Apostolic Forum.
Apostolic is defined on AFF as:


  1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-29-2014, 05:24 PM
n david n david is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 17,468
Re: NBA Owner Sterling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
aside from the ban, the money was pocket change and the Clippers and the NBA will NEED another owner. It's good business. Who wants to play for a white man that hates blacks?

He needs to go
He's been voted either the absolute worst or one of the worst to play for, for a long time. The fact that he's racist has been known as well. Yet CP still signed to play with them, and Doc Rivers still signed to be the coach.

I agree, it's better for the Clippers to get rid of Sterling.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-29-2014, 05:31 PM
Praxeas's Avatar
Praxeas Praxeas is offline
Go Dodgers!


 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 45,737
Re: NBA Owner Sterling

Quote:
Originally Posted by n david View Post
He's been voted either the absolute worst or one of the worst to play for, for a long time. The fact that he's racist has been known as well. Yet CP still signed to play with them, and Doc Rivers still signed to be the coach.

I agree, it's better for the Clippers to get rid of Sterling.
This recent event can't be compared to the Past. It's blatant and what the players knew about the man we can only speculate

But NOW it's far far different. It's bad for the league. I didn't know about Sterling before this came out
__________________
Let it be understood that Apostolic Friends Forum is an Apostolic Forum.
Apostolic is defined on AFF as:


  1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-29-2014, 05:45 PM
n david n david is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 17,468
Re: NBA Owner Sterling

Quote:
California's wiretapping law is a "two-party consent" law. California makes it a crime to record or eavesdrop on any confidential communication, including a private conversation or telephone call, without the consent of all parties to the conversation. See Cal. Penal Code § 632. The statute applies to "confidential communications" -- i.e., conversations in which one of the parties has an objectively reasonable expectation that no one is listening in or overhearing the conversation.
Source Link

Hopefully she's charged for breaking the law.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-29-2014, 05:47 PM
Praxeas's Avatar
Praxeas Praxeas is offline
Go Dodgers!


 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 45,737
Re: NBA Owner Sterling

Quote:
Originally Posted by n david View Post
Source Link

Hopefully she's charged for breaking the law.
He's still bad for the league, the Clippers and LA
__________________
Let it be understood that Apostolic Friends Forum is an Apostolic Forum.
Apostolic is defined on AFF as:


  1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-29-2014, 07:16 PM
n david n david is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 17,468
Re: NBA Owner Sterling

Read on a couple websites a theory going around now is that Magic Johnson may have paid this hooker to set Sterling up, so Johnson and his company could buy the Clippers when Sterling was kicked out.

If this is true, Johnson and his group should be banned as well.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-29-2014, 10:09 PM
Fionn mac Cumh's Avatar
Fionn mac Cumh Fionn mac Cumh is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,378
Re: NBA Owner Sterling

Free speech only protects you from govt actions not your employer. Also how you are in your private is how you really are. But I guess its OK to be a closet racist. Just don't let it become public. This isn't the legal system here. We can't just deem the conversation emissable. He said what he said and we all heard it.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-29-2014, 10:37 PM
n david n david is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 17,468
Re: NBA Owner Sterling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fionn mac Cumh View Post
Free speech only protects you from govt actions not your employer.
So employers are okay to take our private phone conversations and use them to fire us? You're kidding, right? I believe what you mean is because Sterling had a contract with the NBA, and because in the contract there is likely language which governs how the owners are expected to represent their team...that is the small ledge the NBA is standing on to ban Sterling for life and try to force him to sell the team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fionn mac Cumh View Post
Also how you are in your private is how you really are. But I guess its OK to be a closet racist. Just don't let it become public.
I agree. It's not okay to be racist, in the closet or out. I've already spoken against what he said; however, I do believe that private conversations should be left private. It's ridiculous that not only do people not have any privacy because of big brother, but people like Sterling have to worry about being set up and recorded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fionn mac Cumh View Post
This isn't the legal system here. We can't just deem the conversation emissable. He said what he said and we all heard it.
Yes, but why did he say what he said? Did the Commish not hear what I and many others heard -- that this hooker was steering the conversation and baiting him into saying these things? Listen to the audio. He's not doing a Mel Gibson-style rant. He's answering questions and responding to what she's saying.

Again, what he said is despicable. But would he have said any of that to her on that phone call without her driving the conversation the way she did?

I don't think so.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-29-2014, 10:55 PM
Fionn mac Cumh's Avatar
Fionn mac Cumh Fionn mac Cumh is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,378
Re: NBA Owner Sterling

The sad truth is if you are rich and or famous you have no private life. You also have to be very PC about everything you say and do or risk an economic boycott. That's just how it is. I just don't think he was baited into having said what he said.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Who's Going to Win the NBA Finals???? crakjak Fellowship Hall 12 05-27-2011 09:46 AM
NBA Champ 2011 Dedicated Mind Sports Arena 6 03-09-2011 02:44 AM
Anyone here a major NBA Fan? clgustaveson Sports Arena 8 06-21-2008 10:29 AM
NBA to outlaw Flopping? Praxeas Fellowship Hall 18 06-01-2008 06:24 AM
NBA Finals Kutless Sports Arena 5 06-11-2007 11:30 AM

 
User Infomation
Your Avatar

Latest Threads
- by Costeon
- by Jito463

Help Support AFF!

Advertisement




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.