Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Library > Apostolic Articles
Facebook

Notices


Search For Similiar Threads Using Key Words & Phrases
father, god, godhead, holy spirit, son

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-27-2019, 01:22 AM
RonMurray's Avatar
RonMurray RonMurray is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 67
How The Trinity Contradicts Itself

The word of God is the final authority. But not only is the Trinity contrary to scripture, but it also contradicts it's own self.

The teaching of the trinity says that God is the Father, God is the Son, and God is the Holy Spirit. But then says that the Father is not the Son or Holy Spirit, the Son is not the Father or Holy Spirit, and the Holy Spirit is not the Father or Son.

This is a statement of contradiction, and contrary to just plain common sense. Because if God is the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, then common sense tells us that they are all the same one.

Using If and Then statements, If A=B, and A=C, A=D, Then B, C, and D are all equal, they are all the same. This is a true statement.

But using the concept of the Trinity, A=B, and A=C, and A=D, but B, C, and D are not equal. This is a false statement.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-12-2019, 04:57 PM
layman316 layman316 is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 22
Re: How The Trinity Contradicts Itself

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMurray View Post
The word of God is the final authority. But not only is the Trinity contrary to scripture, but it also contradicts it's own self.

The teaching of the trinity says that God is the Father, God is the Son, and God is the Holy Spirit. But then says that the Father is not the Son or Holy Spirit, the Son is not the Father or Holy Spirit, and the Holy Spirit is not the Father or Son.

This is a statement of contradiction, and contrary to just plain common sense. Because if God is the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, then common sense tells us that they are all the same one.

Using If and Then statements, If A=B, and A=C, A=D, Then B, C, and D are all equal, they are all the same. This is a true statement.

But using the concept of the Trinity, A=B, and A=C, and A=D, but B, C, and D are not equal. This is a false statement.
I don't see the contradiction. According to a Trinitarian, the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit are equally God.

Question for you. Is God the Father the Son of God? If yes, please explain your answer with Scripture. Thank you
__________________
"Bold faith in a big God comes not from having all you questions answered" - JD Greear
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-13-2019, 02:15 AM
Amanah's Avatar
Amanah Amanah is offline
One Thing-Phil 3:13-14


 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sebastian, FL
Posts: 7,780
Re: How The Trinity Contradicts Itself

The Trinity doctrine is the result Christianity being born into a Greco-Roman world and 2nd - 4th century Christians using Greek/Neoplatonist philosophy to explain the Godhead. It can not be derived from the bible, but is accepted because of the creeds of the Catholic Church.


Quote:
2.2 The New Testament
The New Testament contains no explicit trinitarian doctrine. However, many Christian theologians, apologists, and philosophers hold that the doctrine can be inferred from what the New Testament does teach about God. But how may it be inferred? Is the inference deductive, or is it an inference to the best explanation? And is it based on what is implicitly taught there, or on what is merely assumed there? Many Christian theologians and apologists seem to hold it is a deductive inference.

In contrast, other Christians admit that their preferred doctrine of the Trinity not only (1) can't be inferred from the Bible alone, but also (2) that there's inadequate or no evidence for it there, and even (3) that what is taught in the Bible is incompatible with the doctrine. These Christians believe the doctrine solely on the authority of later doctrinal pronouncements of the True Christian Church (typically one of: the Catholic Church, the Eastern Orthodox tradition, or the mainstream of the Christian tradition, broadly understood). Some Catholic apologists have argued that this doctrine shows the necessity of the teaching authority of the Church, this doctrine being constitutive of Christianity but underivable from the Bible apart from the Church's guidance in interpreting it. This stance is not popular among Christians who are neither Catholic nor Eastern Orthodox. (2) would be the main sticking point, although some groups deny all three.

Many Christian apologists argue that the doctrine of the Trinity is “biblical” (i.e. either it is implicitly taught there, or it is the best explanation of what is taught there) using three sorts of arguments. They begin by claiming that the Father of Jesus Christ is the one true God taught in the Old Testament. They then argue that given what the Bible teaches about Christ and the Holy Spirit, they must be “fully divine” as well. Thus, we must, as it were, “move them within” the nature of the one God. Therefore, there are three fully divine persons “in God”. While this may be paradoxical, it is argued that this is what God has revealed to humankind through the Bible.
https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/t...ry.html#OneGod

Last edited by Amanah; 12-13-2019 at 02:27 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-13-2019, 06:04 AM
layman316 layman316 is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 22
Re: How The Trinity Contradicts Itself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanah View Post
The Trinity doctrine is the result Christianity being born into a Greco-Roman world and 2nd - 4th century Christians using Greek/Neoplatonist philosophy to explain the Godhead. It can not be derived from the bible, but is accepted because of the creeds of the Catholic Church.




https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/t...ry.html#OneGod
My question to RonMurray was not to debate trinitarianism, but to question his stated contradiction.
__________________
"Bold faith in a big God comes not from having all you questions answered" - JD Greear
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-13-2019, 06:50 AM
Amanah's Avatar
Amanah Amanah is offline
One Thing-Phil 3:13-14


 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sebastian, FL
Posts: 7,780
Re: How The Trinity Contradicts Itself

Quote:
Originally Posted by layman316 View Post
My question to RonMurray was not to debate trinitarianism, but to question his stated contradiction.
He is pointing out the "logic" of the Trinity because the Trinity is not based in scripture, but in pagan philosophy.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-13-2019, 06:56 PM
navygoat1998's Avatar
navygoat1998 navygoat1998 is offline
Repent and believe the Gospel!


 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Jacksonville FL
Posts: 3,079
Re: How The Trinity Contradicts Itself

Layman316 is JD Greear one of your go to preachers?
__________________
Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand. (Romans 14:4)

Scripture is its own interpreter. Nothing can cut a diamond but a diamond. Nothing can interpret Scripture but Scripture" Thomas Watson.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-14-2019, 03:51 PM
layman316 layman316 is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 22
Re: How The Trinity Contradicts Itself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanah View Post
He is pointing out the "logic" of the Trinity because the Trinity is not based in scripture, but in pagan philosophy.
He pointed out his understanding of the Trinity. I want to use his own logic to prove my point. I went to an Apostolic church on Sunday and the message was good until he started misrepresenting the Trinity doctrine. I believe this is why so many Apostolic Oneness have a skewed view of the Trinity.

It would be dishonest if I made statements that distorted the Oneness view, don't you think? If I do, it is not intentional. However, this would be a good topic to start. Why do Oneness preachers need to use an anti-Trinity message to when teaching their own doctrine?
__________________
"Bold faith in a big God comes not from having all you questions answered" - JD Greear

Last edited by layman316; 12-14-2019 at 04:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-14-2019, 03:54 PM
layman316 layman316 is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 22
Re: How The Trinity Contradicts Itself

Quote:
Originally Posted by navygoat1998 View Post
Layman316 is JD Greear one of your go to preachers?
I listen to his podcast from time to time. I just finished his book NOT GOD ENOUGH - Why Your small God leads to big problems.
__________________
"Bold faith in a big God comes not from having all you questions answered" - JD Greear
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-14-2019, 05:46 PM
navygoat1998's Avatar
navygoat1998 navygoat1998 is offline
Repent and believe the Gospel!


 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Jacksonville FL
Posts: 3,079
Re: How The Trinity Contradicts Itself

Quote:
Originally Posted by layman316 View Post
I listen to his podcast from time to time. I just finished his book NOT GOD ENOUGH - Why Your small God leads to big problems.
I have his book "Gospel" on my shelf and it is on my short list of next reads. I am getting ready to start reading "Courage To Be Healed" by Mark Rutland.
__________________
Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand. (Romans 14:4)

Scripture is its own interpreter. Nothing can cut a diamond but a diamond. Nothing can interpret Scripture but Scripture" Thomas Watson.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-15-2019, 11:29 AM
layman316 layman316 is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 22
Re: How The Trinity Contradicts Itself

Quote:
Originally Posted by navygoat1998 View Post
I have his book "Gospel" on my shelf and it is on my short list of next reads. I am getting ready to start reading "Courage To Be Healed" by Mark Rutland.
I need to check into the book "Gospel."
__________________
"Bold faith in a big God comes not from having all you questions answered" - JD Greear
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Am I right about the trinity? jfrog Fellowship Hall 130 03-29-2019 09:54 AM
I Am Going Trinity. Scott Hutchinson Fellowship Hall 15 12-15-2014 11:50 AM

 
User Infomation
Your Avatar

Latest Threads
- by Jito463
- by Lemon

Help Support AFF!

Advertisement




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.