Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 07-16-2009, 05:03 PM
Christ Follower

Re: The UPC is a dying movement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowingPains View Post
We really have spent more time/energy fighting for political position in a large organization. The politics of "the church" has gotten more mic time at most churches than just reaching people, and remembering what the main thing is.
Can you imagine what a great forum this would be if every thread were centered around inspirations, creative ideas, and strategies about how to reach our neighbors, co-workers, and relatives? But I've seen mostly gossip, judgment, trinitarian-bashing, character destroying, reputation shredding, and personal insults.

If a thread were started titled, "My experience in reaching my neighbor", would anyone even look? I wonder.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:08 PM
Registered Member

How can you say that it's dying just because there are no young ministers left?

After all, they are the enemy we've been trying to get rid of for years.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:11 PM
Registered Member

Has anyone been to a Catholic service lately? Lots of blue haired ladies! The average age MUST be around 60. Predicting what this will look like in another 30-40 years is not hard. "Catholic" will soon be something people describe themselves in the same manner that they describe their origins -there will be very few practicing.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:28 PM
I am a Cylon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra View Post
At because of the times, the general sup. Kenneth haney said" Fathers encourage your sons to preach the gospel, we are getting no applications from men under the age of 45" .

I stand by my statement ITS DYING ! SANDRA
No applications from men under 45? Is this in LA district only or the entire national organization?

IF he is refering to LA disctrict then thats more believable but still very surprising.

IF he is speaking nationally, then the UPC does have a problem. You cant dance around that. If what Bro Haney says is true then whats going on at the Bible colleges? Why isnt the theology majors applying for their licenses? CLC and IBC should be good for at least 100 applications from men under 45 nationally every year!

He has to be referring to the LA district.

Jesus ate Honey Nut Cheerios at the Last Supper.

If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change
Old 07-16-2009, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irreligious View Post
Can you imagine what a great forum this would be if every thread were centered around inspirations, creative ideas, and strategies about how to reach our neighbors, co-workers, and relatives? But I've seen mostly gossip, judgment, trinitarian-bashing, character destroying, reputation shredding, and personal insults.

If a thread were started titled, "My experience in reaching my neighbor", would anyone even look? I wonder.
I don't see much trinitarian bashing on here. Gossip? Yes. Judgement? Plenty. Character destroying? Sometimes. Insults? Sure. But many use this forum as an escape to have someone to talk to about sorting through issues.

Good point above. It's time to think about our mission again.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWayne View Post
Has anyone been to a Catholic service lately? Lots of blue haired ladies! The average age MUST be around 60. Predicting what this will look like in another 30-40 years is not hard. "Catholic" will soon be something people describe themselves in the same manner that they describe their origins -there will be very few practicing.
I disagree. I think some of these new gimmicks the church is experimenting with will turn many back toward more liturgical and orthodox religion. Mark my words. Lakewood, Saddleback, etc will help push that back toward orthodoxy. It may not be with young people, but watch young married couples with children make that transition. Hope I'm wrong though.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyn4 View Post
No applications from men under 45? Is this in LA district only or the entire national organization?

IF he is refering to LA disctrict then thats more believable but still very surprising.

IF he is speaking nationally, then the UPC does have a problem. You cant dance around that. If what Bro Haney says is true then whats going on at the Bible colleges? Why isnt the theology majors applying for their licenses? CLC and IBC should be good for at least 100 applications from men under 45 nationally every year!

He has to be referring to the LA district.
Interesting point.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:48 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irreligious View Post
Make Changes? Uuuuhhhh.....no. Admit mistakes??? You're kidding, right? I was once a young, enthusiastic, well-intentioned fellow who was going to help change things. I'm still fairly young but I eventually decided I'd rather live my life serving those that are far from God than beating my head against an unmovable wall. It hurts too much and the people that need us Christ Followers the most are never introduced to the only thing that matters....the grace of God.

As long as foam pours out of the mouth of upcer's when the word "trinitarian" is mentioned, things won't change. I hate to tell you but the next generation is already going for this nonsense.

I jumped in on a thread when I asked someone to stop spreading untrue rumors. Since I joined a few days ago, I've been run through the shredder continually. When you consider that the trend toward exclusivity has only increased over the upc's history, and NEVER decreased, then it is what it is.

If you want things to be different...I say, "Hit the trail."

And I'm glad you're upset.

I'm sorry that you've had a bad experience since joining this forum. IMO not everyone here acts that way.

That being said...not all of the UPCI preaches against trinitarians and what they believe. I grew up in the organization. I have had 4 different Pastors (well 5 counting my present one). NEVER in my life have I heard anti-trinitarian statements come from the pulpit. Maybe from the pews but not from one of my Pastor's. I've never been told not to fellowship with other denominations. As a matter of fact, we frequently, as a church attend functions of other churches and vice versa.

As my Pastor frequently says, none of us have ALL truth. We all have a measure of truth and we can all learn from each other.

I guess I've just been blessed to attend churches and have Pastor's who were more kingdom minded than small minded. ( with emphasis being put on Jesus and reaching the lost) So please don't paint the whole organization with the same broad brush. We aren't all the same.

Sinatra
Old 07-16-2009, 05:49 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra View Post
At because of the times, the general sup. Kenneth haney said" Fathers encourage your sons to preach the gospel, we are getting no applications from men under the age of 45" .

I stand by my statement ITS DYING ! SANDRA
First off, our esteemed leader was probably speaking evangelistically. I personally know many young ministers who have received a UPCI license in the past year.

Having said that, I am sure that the number coming in is not near enought to meet the demands of the harvest. I do find it a little ironic that the elders, who have long blamed "those meddling kids" for all that is wrong with the UPC are now lamenting their absence. The youth, who are blamed for much of the new (gasp) music, hairstyles, clothing, worship services, methods, and such, are now a precious commodity.

And yes, I believe that the UPCI is currently suffering a steep decline. There will always be a UPCI, but in a few years it will cease to be the vibrant leader of the apostolic world.

I kind of liken it to the break-up of "Ma Bell" into all the "Baby Bells". I think the same is currently happening in the UPCI.

By "Ma".
Old 07-16-2009, 06:09 PM
Honorary Admin

I honestly don't relish in the death of any org really. I don't wish to write the UPCI's epitaph nor will I dance on the grave. However, change is inevitable....misery is optional!

The problem is that the UPCI has labelled so many things sin which are not labelled sin in the scripture, that it would be extremely embarrassing and assaulting its integrity, to back track. However, Jesus stated that TRUTH would set the captive free. Until one is willing to face the truth, they will continually use their energy to hide it! Fear is a terrible taskmaster and an enemy of TRUTH.

I am a holiness preacher. I believe that when we are saved that we are saved FROM something. That SOMETHING is sin! We should be able to say, "That is what I WAS and this is what I AM!"

But we should also be willing to proclaim biblical truth and let convictions stand to the bearer. That's my opinion and I'm stickin' to it! LD