Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Newsroom > Political Talk
Facebook

Notices

Political Talk Political News

Old 06-30-2014, 10:05 AM
Registered Member

newest supreme court rulings

Maybe I'm just stirring the pot, but I'm curious about everyone's take on the two latest supreme court rulings.

Heres mine: The hobby lobby ruling I agree with not so much because I agree with hobby lobby, but it would set a dangerous precedence to rule otherwise. I think hobby lobby is essentially picking fly poop out of pepper with the contraception issue, and I think it is a red herring issue to begin with. There are so many cheap, over the counter contraceptives I don't know why it was ever an issue.

The union ruling: makes sense to me. Choose to join a union, pay dues andd enjoy the benefits. Don't want to join? Don't pay dues and duke it out on your own. There are still some rugged individualists who prefer that. No union, no perks.

Any thoughts?
Old 06-30-2014, 10:09 AM
Registered Member

Re: newest supreme court rulings

Source Link
Old 06-30-2014, 10:09 AM
Registered Member

AND might I add plenty of over the counter contraceptives that prevent fertilization COMPLETELY if that's your problem.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:12 AM
Registered Member

They were specifically against the morning after and other same-type of pills which cause a fertilized egg to be aborted. They've said many times they are not against other forms of birth control.

It's a great ruling, and a narrow one which applies only to the birth control mandate. They stated the mandate violated the Religious Freedom Restoration Act, and I agree.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:31 AM
Registered Member

The Hobby Lobby ruling was a very narrow ruling, but it has very broad implications.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:03 PM
Registered Member

Interesting
Old 06-30-2014, 12:27 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by n david View Post
They were specifically against the morning after and other same-type of pills which cause a fertilized egg to be aborted. They've said many times they are not against other forms of birth control.

It's a great ruling, and a narrow one which applies only to the birth control mandate. They stated the mandate violated the Religious Freedom Restoration Act, and I agree.
It's not that great of a ruling. It simply is saying that publicly traded companies are not part of the analysis, which means it discourages religious business owners from going public. And finally, Hobby Lobby doesn't pay the mandate, but their taxes will continue to pay for contraceptive coverage.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:49 PM
Registered Member

Better than the alternative. Any ruling other than against HL is a good ruling.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:57 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n david View Post

Isn't the morning after pill what they give to rape victims at the hospital? I would be hard pressed not to agree to cover that under those conditions. I'd also like to believe that if they STILL had a problem with it, they would at least offer her some extra services or up her pay to help cover the fact that she'd have an extra mouth to feed through no fault of her own.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:01 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
It's not that great of a ruling. It simply is saying that publicly traded companies are not part of the analysis, which means it discourages religious business owners from going public. And finally, Hobby Lobby doesn't pay the mandate, but their taxes will continue to pay for contraceptive coverage.
Where did you get this info? I haven't read anything about either the publicly traded company part or that they will still be paying for it.

Just read SCOTUSBLOG and it seemed clear that they a) aren't required to offer it; and b) aren't having to pay any penalty or taxes for it.